147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 14

Re: 147th Annual NRA Meeting in Dallas

Post by ELB »

sbrawley wrote:
I vote we establish the meeting time to be shortly before opening, and the meeting place to be somewhere that has coffee!

Any luck with this?
I would still like to do this, but I don't know the area around the convention center very well. Are there any Dallas people here who can scout a location?
USAF 1982-2005

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

I signed up for a room through the NRA's website. I didn't look at registering. I was planning to do that there. I guess I will try to do it online to avoid the hassle.

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Richbirdhunter »

jason812 wrote:Badge ordered, now the question is to backpack or no backpack???
That better be a clear backpack
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

flechero
Posts in topic: 13

Post by flechero »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
I read (I think on the NRA site) that bags were allowed but subject to search. I'll have a backpack with me.

ETA:

from the faq: Are backpacks allowed at the Annual Meeting?

Backpacks are allowed on site at the show but have to be kept on your person at all times. Any backpacks left unattended will be reported to security.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

flechero wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
I read (I think on the NRA site) that bags were allowed but subject to search. I'll have a backpack with me.

ETA:

Backpacks are allowed on site at the show but have to be kept on your person at all times. Any backpacks left unattended will be reported to security.
I read that and wonder if searched at the entrance, what the unarmed security guard is going to do when he finds my ar pistol in the backpack with one reduced 20 round mag and 2 standard 30 round mags? I usually carry it when in large gatherings. Part of me says my fellow citizens probably have my back, part of me says I shouldn't count on my fellow citizens to have my back.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I think it will be posted 30.07 because everything I have seen says CC is ok but no mention of OC... (so if your ar pistol is actually classified a pistol you are probably fine)
Is concealed carry allowed at the Show?

During the 2018 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center and the Omni Dallas Hotel in accordance with Texas law. When carrying your firearm remember to follow all federal, state, and local laws.
My greatest fear at the NRA gathering isn't the active shooter- it's being caught in the cross fire! :txflag:

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 5

Post by PriestTheRunner »

jason812 wrote:
flechero wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:

ETA:

I read that and wonder if searched at the entrance, what the unarmed security guard is going to do when he finds my ar pistol in the backpack with one reduced 20 round mag and 2 standard 30 round mags? I usually carry it when in large gatherings. Part of me says my fellow citizens probably have my back, part of me says I shouldn't count on my fellow citizens to have my back.

I've always wondered how they would handle this... Considering you have your LTC and it is a pistol...?

I think the backpack searching will be for bomb materials. That convention is a great target for the crazies. The wife and I will be bringing the ankle trauma kits for sure, as well as our CCs.

:txflag:

jason812

Post by jason812 »

flechero wrote:My greatest fear at the NRA gathering isn't the active shooter- it's being caught in the cross fire! :txflag:
:biggrinjester: :cheers2:
flechero wrote:I think it will be posted 30.07 because everything I have seen says CC is ok but no mention of OC... (so if your ar pistol is actually classified a pistol you are probably fine)
Is concealed carry allowed at the Show?

During the 2018 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center and the Omni Dallas Hotel in accordance with Texas law. When carrying your firearm remember to follow all federal, state, and local laws.
I've seen others post that they open carried at other events in the convention center. I'm hoping the same is true for the NRA convention. If we can't open carry there, we got problems. A bunch of us OC'ing at the NRA convention would do more for our cause than any of OCT shenanigans.

The ar pistol has a 10.3" barrel, folding buffer tube w/ a Shockwave brace. It is legally a pistol.

I'm not worried about an active shooter at the convention, it should be the safest place on earth for that weekend. There's a couple of reasons why I would want to carry my backpack. 1. Because I can. 2. Don't want to leave it in the car for a Hillary supporter to use a five finger discount. 3. With all the negative false accusations toward the NRA lately, no telling what the parking lot and outside the building is going to be like. It would be a more enjoyable time not toting it around but I have carried it in the GRB in Houston for a tool show with a change of clothes for the night and a backup pistol in addition to my normal payload not to mention plenty of excursions with the kids. But I've never had to have the pack searched or screened.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

I hadn't even considered a backpack. That is a good idea. Last time, I had a bag full of various stickers, catalogs, and hats and other stuff I was carrying around. A backpack would be a lot easier. It will probably be mostly empty when I get there.

I assumed I would be concealed carrying. I wasn't going to bring a spare pistol as I didn't want to leave anything like that in my truck or room. A backpack would work if I decide to do that.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

MechAg94 wrote:I hadn't even considered a backpack. That is a good idea. Last time, I had a bag full of various stickers, catalogs, and hats and other stuff I was carrying around. A backpack would be a lot easier. It will probably be mostly empty when I get there.

I assumed I would be concealed carrying. I wasn't going to bring a spare pistol as I didn't want to leave anything like that in my truck or room. A backpack would work if I decide to do that.
I didn't think about all the stickers, brochures, coozies and what not that I might pick up while I'm there. Backpack seems like a good idea to carry the freebies.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

jason812 wrote: I'm not worried about an active shooter at the convention, it should be the safest place on earth for that weekend.
Neither am I. A bombing, however, seems to be high enough on the list for them to require bag searches. Especially after Austin bombings.

Bomber are cowards, and generally want to escape or send a message. Not nearly as 'death-by-cop-ish' as active shooters. Hence, bag checks.

Still wondering what they would do if they found a SBR in your bag. ID your LTC? Cause a scene?

Anybody have experience with that?

ELB
Posts in topic: 14

Post by ELB »

I guess I will bring my NRA backpack that they sent me for doing something (donation I think).
USAF 1982-2005

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Flightmare »

Have not seen my badge come in the mail yet. This bothers me a bit.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

Flightmare wrote:Have not seen my badge come in the mail yet. This bothers me a bit.
Not a big deal, as long as you have your membership card with you. Even if you don't you can sign up again on the spot. Takes only a minute.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

This will be my first year going, so I've been watching the news about this.

Vice President will be speaking, so no guns allowed in the Arena. I'm assuming that's what they mean. I hope this doesn't mean no carry ANYWHERE. Was going to purchase a ticket, but since carry will be prohibited, guess I'll skip.

Due to the attendance of the Vice President of the United States, the U.S. Secret Service will be responsible for event security at the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum. As a result, firearms and firearm accessories, knives or weapons of any kind will be prohibited in the forum prior to and during his attendance. We will be posting a longer list of prohibited items in the near future.

https://www.etix.com/ticket/p/8137229/n ... anguage=en
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”