CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TheFriscoKid
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Armor Piercing - Sell Buy Make Use ?

Post by TheFriscoKid »

So I noticed that this guy was charged with manufacturing and/or selling armor piercing ammunition. Looks like ammo found in the Las Vegas hotel room also had at least 2 .308 rounds that had fingerprints and tool marks that correspond to the man arrested, Haig.

So what classifies as armor? Is level II armor? Level III or Level IIIa ? Hard plates ?

And what about armor piercing ? There are handgun bullets that can be bought legally that can pierce IIIa.

Some green tip 5.56 makes short order of many 'armors'.

Of course most 50 cal bullets make fun out of all sorts of armor.

Anyone can go online today and buy each one of these armor piercing rounds.

How is a law abiding citizen try to make sense out of all these laws?

Tylerscott20
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Armor Piercing - Sell Buy Make Use ?

Post by Tylerscott20 »

The classification of armor is irrelevent to the way this law is written. Armor piercing ammunition is defined by what the projectile is made of, not what it can actually penetrate. Like you said, plenty of rifle rounds can penetrate most commercial body armor.

Per ATF's website:

18 U.S.C., § 921(a)(17)(B)

A projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

A full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

Topic author
TheFriscoKid
Banned

Post by TheFriscoKid »

While there are some .308 handguns, a .308 is primarily thought of as a rifle round.

So how do they charge this guy?

is it just a question of bad luck and he sold his bullets to the wrong guy ?

Tylerscott20

Post by Tylerscott20 »

As dumb as a 308 caliber "handgun" sounds, because it HAS been used in a handgun it falls under this. It's an unecessary law that is unecessarily vague.

ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Tylerscott20 wrote:As dumb as a 308 caliber "handgun" sounds, because it HAS been used in a handgun it falls under this. It's an unecessary law that is unecessarily vague.
I'm pretty sure they tried to use this a few years ago to ban M855 rounds and got shot down in the attempt...pun not intended.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Here is a good article regarding armor piercing ammo, it is a little dated ( 2015 ), but still good to know info.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... mmunition/
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I haven't see the details of what they are charging the guy with. I heard speculation that he may not have been licensed to manufacture ammo for sale.

Topic author
TheFriscoKid
Banned

Post by TheFriscoKid »

Nice article. I'm very familiar with the mess the govt caused at Elite ammunition for 'armor piercing' handgun ammo but still none of it makes sense to me.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/0 ... s-bullets/

Guess they want to keep us guessing.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Apparently the sale was tracer ammo. I guess that is illegal in some states. Don't know how that translates to armor piercing.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
TheFriscoKid
Banned

Post by TheFriscoKid »

I had no idea my tracers were heat seeking. And all this time I thought of them as heat emitting.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

TheFriscoKid wrote:I had no idea my tracers were heat seeking. And all this time I thought of them as heat emitting.
Silly you!

Where do you think you'd be without those super-smart Dimocrats to keep you in line?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

TheFriscoKid wrote:I had no idea my tracers were heat seeking. And all this time I thought of them as heat emitting.
It is a well known fact that you should always stand near (but not too close to) a heat source during a fire fight. That way the heat seeking bullets will be diverted away from you. Definitely do not return fire since the heat from your gun will cause the bad guys bullets (and possibly also your own) to loop around and head your way.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”