CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dempc6469
Posts in topic: 5

Class A Misdemeanor - Judgement "Set Aside"

Post by dempc6469 »

Long story short...

Had a class A misdemeanor. I received deferred adjudication on 1/21/14 and subsequently completed that on 6/13/14 and the case was dismissed. When I pull up court documents it shows "Judgement Set-Aside" and "Disposed by DISM (Dismissal)". In reading LTC-16 (Current TCL Laws) it states:

(4) “Convicted” means an adjudication of guilt or, except as provided in
Section 411.1711, an order of deferred adjudication entered against a
person by a court of competent jurisdiction whether or not the imposition of
the sentence is subsequently probated and the person is discharged from
community supervision. The term does not include an adjudication of guilt or
an order of deferred adjudication that has been subsequently:

(A) expunged;
(B) pardoned under the authority of a state or federal official; or
(C) otherwise vacated, set aside, annulled, invalidated, voided, or sealed

I have already filed my application, done my fingerprints, and was scheduled to take my LTC-100 class Monday. Am I eligible in the situation above? It looks like section C (highlighted) may have been added Sep 1, 2009. To me, it seems like I'm perfectly eligible being that my case was "set-aside" and dismissed.

Help! :confused5

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Class A Misdemeanor - Judgement "Set Aside"

Post by ScottDLS »

dempc6469 wrote:Long story short...

Had a class A misdemeanor. I received deferred adjudication on 1/21/14 and subsequently completed that on 6/13/14 and the case was dismissed. When I pull up court documents it shows "Judgement Set-Aside" and "Disposed by DISM (Dismissal)". In reading LTC-16 (Current TCL Laws) it states:

(A) expunged;

I have already filed my application, done my fingerprints, and was scheduled to take my LTC-100 class Monday. Am I eligible in the situation above? It looks like section C (highlighted) may have been added Sep 1, 2009. To me, it seems like I'm perfectly eligible being that my case was "set-aside" and dismissed.

The way I read it you are fine, although they may contact you to provide details of disposition.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
dempc6469

Post by dempc6469 »

ScottDLS wrote:
dempc6469 wrote:Long story short...

(A) expunged;

The way I read it you are fine, although they may contact you to provide details of disposition.
That's the way I read it as well.. called DPS directly and she said she wasn't part of the eligibility department and couldn't answer my question. Was hoping someone had better insight here.

I have gone ahead and downloaded both the Disposition document and the Order of Dismissal so that I can upload.

Anyone else with some advice/info on the topic would be highly appreciated!

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but I recall that there are certain offenses against persons that are permanent disqualifiers for LTC regardless of deferred adjudication. Perhaps you could share what your offense was?
NRA Life Member

infoman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by infoman »

You have to be much more detailed. What state? What county? What was the charge? (DWI, Assault, Poss of Marij, reckless driving?)

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

For a misdemeanor DA that was dismissed and set aside, it does not matter what it is, it is not disqualifying.

It could even be a domestic violence charge, but because it was a DA, it is not a conviction and is not disqualifying at the Federal level, and since it has been set aside, it will be covered under 411.171(4)(C) and not disqualifying at the State level.

You’re good to go.
Last edited by AJSully421 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

longhorn86 wrote:Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but I recall that there are certain offenses against persons that are permanent disqualifiers for LTC regardless of deferred adjudication. Perhaps you could share what your offense was?
411.1711 lists the permanent disqualifiers, and 411.171(1) states that it must be a felony offense. The OP stated that his is a Class A Misdemeanor, so none of 411.1711 applies to him at all.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Topic author
dempc6469

Post by dempc6469 »

AJSully421 wrote:
longhorn86 wrote:Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but I recall that there are certain offenses against persons that are permanent disqualifiers for LTC regardless of deferred adjudication. Perhaps you could share what your offense was?
411.1711 lists the permanent disqualifiers, and 411.171(1) states that it must be a felony offense. The OP stated that his is a Class A Misdemeanor, so none of 411.1711 applies to him at all.
Thank you very much! This was my understanding as well. As long as the charge was set-aside and dismissed then it should not be a disqualifier.

AJSully, I appreciate it!

For the record, it was in Texas (Dallas). That is the reason i quoted the Texas LTC-16 gun laws.

infoman

Post by infoman »

You cannot have any class A misdemeanor deferred adjudication in Texas within the past 5 years I promise. You cannot get a true set aside on a deferred adjudication. I will be the one that said “I told you so”. You have to get an order of non-disclosure or expungement. Trust me or don’t trust me. I’m 100% correct on this one.

Topic author
dempc6469

Post by dempc6469 »

infoman wrote:You cannot have any class A misdemeanor deferred adjudication in Texas within the past 5 years I promise. You cannot get a true set aside on a deferred adjudication. I will be the one that said “I told you so”. You have to get an order of non-disclosure or expungement. Trust me or don’t trust me. I’m 100% correct on this one.
Do you mind referencing the sections that state this in LTC-16?

Topic author
dempc6469

Post by dempc6469 »

infoman wrote:You cannot have any class A misdemeanor deferred adjudication in Texas within the past 5 years I promise. You cannot get a true set aside on a deferred adjudication. I will be the one that said “I told you so”. You have to get an order of non-disclosure or expungement. Trust me or don’t trust me. I’m 100% correct on this one.
It clearly shows in this attachment that the case was "Disposed by DISM" and the "Judgement Set-Aside".

411.171(4)(C) states the following:

(A) expunged;
under any state or federal law.
Attachments
texaschl.png

infoman

Post by infoman »

Sorry but you can’t set aside a deferred adj., you can only set aside a straight conviction. I’m willing to bet this was Dallas Co., they are notorious for misusing “set aside” wording.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

infoman wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:59 pm Sorry but you can’t set aside a deferred adj., you can only set aside a straight conviction. I’m willing to bet this was Dallas Co., they are notorious for misusing “set aside” wording.
He said above that it was in Dallas. Can you please expand on what you’re saying about Dallas Co misusing wording?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

infoman wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:59 pm Sorry but you can’t set aside a deferred adj., you can only set aside a straight conviction. I’m willing to bet this was Dallas Co., they are notorious for misusing “set aside” wording.
Class A Misdemeanors have a 5 year ineligibility. Since his was 24 Jan 2014, would he be eligible to apply after 24 Jan 2019?

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

After more than seven months, he probably already took the class or gave up, but maybe he'll come back and post an update.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”