My Wife Now Has PTSD

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

My Wife Now Has PTSD

Post by Keith B »

Many of you remember the New York Times reporter who claimed he had a form of PTSD after shooting an AR-15, well my wife has it now. I will explain, but first some history:

We have been married for 35 years, and we dated for 3 1/2 years prior. When we were dating I was a reserve police officer. She had shot various guns a little with her family, and I took her shooting a couple of times. She was a good shot, understood the safety and operation of the firearms, but just wasn't that interested in shooting for fun. Once we were married we moved. I resigned my police officers commission so longer was shooting PPC competition. Frankly I was burned out at that time, so got out of shooting, except for hunting, for many years.

After we moved Texas in 1998 they had already passed the CHL legislation. I got interested again and got my CHL and became an instructor. She still didn't have any interest in shooting or guns overall, but supported me and my endeavors.

Fast forward. After I retired 3 years ago I opened a couple of businesses as well as continuing my firearms instruction. She took a job running the office for a friend who has a construction business. These keep us busy and let us make some 'fun money' during retirement.

A couple of months ago the construction company had a couple of employees who got fired for drug use. She was a little uneasy being at the office by herself unarmed, so decided she might want to go ahead and get her license. I was having a class for some of the folks at our church about a month later so she became a student. I will only allow 5 shooters at a time during qualification, and she made the 11th student. We decided to let the others shoot in the two groups of 5 and she would sit out and I would do her qualification later.

Yesterday was a nice day, so we went to the range. She hadn't shot a gun in over 35 years. I gave her the basics again, and she shot a practice round with no problems. She went ahead and did her qualification and scored very well. So, she then wanted to try some other of my handguns to see what she liked. She shot well with those too.

I had brought along a new AR-15 to try on the range. I shot it a few times in the sled and had her spot for me. Then I asked her if she wanted to shoot it. She said yes, but once in behind the stock, she was very nervous. I asked her why and she said 'All of the reports about this high-powered rifle and how devastating it can be'. I think it was really more a fear of hard recoil. I sat back down and made a shot while she put her hand on my shoulder to show her how light the recoil was. That put her more at ease. She went ahead and shot and then shot a few more times while I spotted. Let's just say I don't want to be down range of her up to about 300 yards!! :shock:

Now, back to the title. After she had shot it we discussed the AR-15 and her shooting. We came to the conclusion she now has PTSD as well. But in her case it is an acronym for 'Please Take me Shooting Dear' :lol:

Now we are discussing what to get her for a carry gun. I think she is in the market for a Kimber Micro 9 :thumbs2:

So happy we now have another thing that she will want to do with me as we grow old(er) together. :hurry:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Re: My Wife Now Has PTSD

Post by bblhd672 »

That’s a great story. Every wife should be able to handle an AR-15 and commonly used handguns.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

So which handgun have you lost at the moment?

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Maxwell »

I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Maxwell wrote:You may be in luck Keith.
https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 18&t=91708
:tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

WTR wrote:So which handgun have you lost at the moment?
Nothing yet. None were what she liked. Will have to work through to get her just the right fit.
Keith

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I thought you were heading for Pretty Terrific Shooting Dear.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

What fun!

My wife really loves to shoot, long or short guns! I am one lucky guy! :txflag:
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

LDB415 wrote:I thought you were heading for Pretty Terrific Shooting Dear.
:thumbs2:
Keith

b4aftr

Post by b4aftr »

Yep mine got it from shooting my braced scorpion and larue predatAR. She now has her own scorpion and gets to use whatever AR she’d like.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Keith B wrote:
Maxwell wrote:You may be in luck Keith.
https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 18&t=91708
:tiphat:
Great story, :thumbs2: The Kimbers were still in stock last time I checked. I've made several purchases from GunBuyer with no issues and they are very helpful.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Sooner or later, you're probably going to have to buy her an AR of her own. Probably..... :shock:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:Sooner or later, you're probably going to have to buy her an AR of her own. Probably..... :shock:
Guess there could be worse things.... LOL
Keith

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Nice story. Congrats to both of you.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”