UT Austin - Question About Prospective Freshman Visit

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longhorn86
Posts in topic: 2

UT Austin - Question About Prospective Freshman Visit

Post by longhorn86 »

Let me preface this question by saying I have thoroughly read UT Austin's campus carry policies and understand about most of the excluded areas.

I have signed up my daughter for the Prospective Freshman Tour & Session for later this month. I will be attending this with her and have concerns if it would be worth carrying on campus for this or just leave my EDC in the truck once we arrive.

Specifically, I am looking for info from those out there who:

1) Have attended this session and tour

2) If so, did you carry and were there any issues with the tour entering any of the excluded areas?

3) Apparently, there may be some additional off limits areas not specifically spelled out in their policy. Any info on these would be greatly appreciated.

My goal here is to not "embarrass" my daughter by having to possibly hang outside while she tours an excluded area.
NRA Life Member

Caliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: UT Austin - Question About Prospective Freshman Visit

Post by Caliber »

I've been on the tour fairly recently, several months ago with my daughter. I did not carry for the same concerns. I recommend that you do NOT carry for the following reasons: You will probably go to one of the athletic centers. If there happens to be an intercollegiate activity, you will be in violation. Guns are also prohibited in some of the labs. You may or may not run into a problem if you carry, but the risk is certainly real.

See this link: http://campuscarry.utexas.edu/students

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Regarding concealed carry on campus, my understanding is that they are still responsible for posting signs at all 'off-limit' areas.

It is also funny to me that their guidelines state this:
We ask that concealed license holders remember that while they may be at ease carrying a handgun, many people on our campus are not familiar with handguns and are uncomfortable in their presence.
http://campuscarry.utexas.edu/students

But their reasoning for selective admission of minorities over whites is this:
Instead, the majority opinion written by Justice Anthony M. Kennedy reiterated previous high-court rulings that diversity justifies some intrusion on the Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection, which generally forbids the government from making decisions based on race.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 6c8f9d910f
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_v. ... xas_(2016)

So UT encourages diversity of color but not diversity of thought. Good to know... :/

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Intercollegiate athletics are no longer automatically banned unless posted 30.06. However, I would not carry either, because a (inadvertent) violation on a campus is a Class A, not a Class C like a regular 30.06.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
longhorn86
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longhorn86 »

oohrah wrote:Intercollegiate athletics are no longer automatically banned unless posted 30.06. However, I would not carry either, because a (inadvertent) violation on a campus is a Class A, not a Class C like a regular 30.06.

Thank you for the reminder of Class A for 30.06 violation on campus. I had forgotten about that.
NRA Life Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

oohrah wrote:Intercollegiate athletics are no longer automatically banned unless posted 30.06. However, I would not carry either, because a (inadvertent) violation on a campus is a Class A, not a Class C like a regular 30.06.
Unless the FBI is investigating, in which case they will not even press charges without clear evidence of intent. Of course that might only apply if you are a female democrat running for President.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I read somewhere recently that U.T. is far left.

Were I to have a child about to attend college, I'd be doing research where leftists don't have overly heavy sway on the student body.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Abraham wrote:I read somewhere recently that U.T. is far left.

Were I to have a child about to attend college, I'd be doing research where leftists don't have overly heavy sway on the student body.
Unfortunately, places such as you describe are becoming harder and harder to find. Leftists have thoroughly penetrated the education sector. I would argue that MOST professors/teachers at the college/university level are left leaning. At least, that's been the case with the professors/teachers I have met.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

I have not done the tour, but I was on campus last Saturday for Explore UT.

I did not carry because it was a school field trip.

That said, I didn't see many signs on campus.

Gate 16 of DKRoyal stadium is not posted. We entered through that gate and walked directly onto the field. I never saw a sign.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”