CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Cheap ranges to shoot at?

Post by puma guy »

Paladin wrote:
Pixie123 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:I'm guessing you passed the class?

Congratulations?
Yes I did! Thanks. It was easier than I thought
Congrats! :cheers2:

When I lived in Houston Marksman Indoor Range and Pasadena Gun Center were the low cost ranges. Not fancy, nor in good parts of town, but low cost. Pasadena Gun Center is inside of an old movie theater... a buddy of mine said it was the best movie theater he's ever been to!

Texas City Range is a nice and very well run outdoor range: Fee schedule
Marksman Indoor Range in South Houston is still $10.00. They have a lady's night on Mondays. It's actually not considered a bad part of town. It's just a couple of blocks from the SOHO police station. I have been shooting there since the 1960's.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

LDB415
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LDB415 »

Big Kountry in Alvin is an indoor range. I've never shot there. I just learned it was there yesterday. It's next to the Tractor Supply store. Mondays they have a seniors special 11-2 for $7.50 and someone is there to clean the guns afterward. Not sure if there's a charge for that or not but suspect there would be. Tue and Fri. 5-8 it's 2 shooters for $20. They have memberships available also. While the weather is tolerable Texas City looks like a good deal, especially for seniors.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

puma guy wrote:
Paladin wrote:
Pixie123 wrote:

Congratulations?

When I lived in Houston Marksman Indoor Range and Pasadena Gun Center were the low cost ranges. Not fancy, nor in good parts of town, but low cost. Pasadena Gun Center is inside of an old movie theater... a buddy of mine said it was the best movie theater he's ever been to!

Marksman Indoor Range in South Houston is still $10.00. They have a lady's night on Mondays. It's actually not considered a bad part of town. It's just a couple of blocks from the SOHO police station. I have been shooting there since the 1960's.
I spent a lot of time at Marksman too. Probably my fav spot as it is convenient. Traveling with as many guns as I did I never felt worried...but the cops always seemed busy around there.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Congrats on passing the class (and a belated welcome to the forum).

Out here in west Houston and Katy, you'll find some good deals at Boyert Shooting Center.
  • Veterans and retired police are always half off - if you fit in that category you'll save a ton.
  • Seniors half off from 11am to 3pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
  • On Tuesdays, wear the Boyert tshirt of the day and shoot for free
  • Children 10 and under are always free
  • LEO and active military always free
Another one that very few folks know about is the Shooting Sports and Training Center of Texas on Bauer Hockley Rd.
This is a no-frills place, but they offer some discounts on Thursdays from 11am to 50m for seniors, vets, first responders, and active military.

If shooting for a longer duration is your thing, go to the American Shooting Center. They charge by the GUN, rather than by the HOUR. If you plan to take one gun and shoot for two hours, it might be cheaper than an indoor range.

Another nice no-frills indoor range is Full Armor on I-10. Thursday nights they have date night, so two shoot for the price of one.

Now back on the subject of shooting practice. You said in your other posts that you're a novice. Practice is important, because (a) you need to know that you can hit your target, and more importantly because (b) you need to know how to operate your gun safely and efficiently. That means you need to practice clearing malfunctions, reloading, shooting off-hand, etc. There are a lot of instructors here on the forum, and we all look for an excuse to go shooting. If you ask around, you'll likely find one of us who would join you on a range day, just for fun. Every instructor I know helps a newbie or two each time we go to the range - and does so happily. If you're in west Houston, I'll join you anytime.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

Vol Texan wrote: Another one that very few folks know about is the Shooting Sports and Training Center of Texas on Bauer Hockley Rd.
This is a no-frills place, but they offer some discounts on Thursdays from 11am to 50m for seniors, vets, first responders, and active military.
What do they charge?

What time is 50m? :biggrinjester:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Paladin wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Paladin wrote:
Pixie123 wrote:

Congratulations?

I spent a lot of time at Marksman too. Probably my fav spot as it is convenient. Traveling with as many guns as I did I never felt worried...but the cops always seemed busy around there.
Paladin, Did you shoot at Marksman when Tom owned it?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

brhalltx wrote:
Vol Texan wrote: Another one that very few folks know about is the Shooting Sports and Training Center of Texas on Bauer Hockley Rd.
What do they charge?

Depends on caliber and gender. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum Pixie123. If you’re ever up DFW-way, there’s a bunch of us retired old farts that will probably front you your range fee for an excuse to go shooting with someone......any time, any day.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

puma guy wrote:
Paladin wrote:
Pixie123 wrote:

Congratulations?

I agree about Marksman. I started there in the 70's.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

big_harley_chop

Post by big_harley_chop »

100% Reeves gun range, just outside of Liberty Tx.

$5 a gun for as long as you want to be there. It's outdoors, various calibers/ types catered for.

Highly recommended.

Eddie

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I don't think you can find a better deal on good .380 than Freedom Munitions. It is mail order only, but they frequently have deals on shipping. I have done A/B testing of Freedom vs some big names (UMC, Sellier & Bellot), and it compares very favorably.

:fire
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Oak Threeper

Post by Oak Threeper »

Whittington Center is $20 per person for the whole day.

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
brhalltx wrote:
What do they charge?

Depends on caliber and gender. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum Pixie123. If you’re ever up DFW-way, there’s a bunch of us retired old farts that will probably front you your range fee for an excuse to go shooting with someone......any time, any day.

The way you shoot I wouldn’t want to embarrass me self. That was a nice group you posted on that other thread with that beat up rifle :biggrinjester:
Truth against the world

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

txhighlander wrote:The way you shoot I wouldn’t want to embarrass me self. That was a nice group you posted on that other thread with that beat up rifle :biggrinjester:
Well you can relax for now. Both of those groups were shot before I had cataracts. I can’t see squat for now. :lol:

OTH, I’m having my cataracts removed in May, and will be glasses-free going forward. Then all bets are off again. So if you want to beat me at the range, better do it now. :smilelol5:

And actually, if you want to beat me at the range ANY time, glasses or no glasses, just shoot skeet with me. AndyC will tell you....I stink. "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

skeathley wrote:I don't think you can find a better deal on good .380 than Freedom Munitions. It is mail order only, but they frequently have deals on shipping. I have done A/B testing of Freedom vs some big names (UMC, Sellier & Bellot), and it compares very favorably.

:fire
:iagree: Freedom has expanded their product lines a lot over the last year or two. Used to be their remanufactured ammo was most of what was available and I've had great luck with it. Most of what I shoot at the range unless I've ordered some milsurp stock. But now they have a range of new manuf. defensive ammo and I tried some of their Boar Buster loads in .223 a while ago. Haven't shot hogs with it or hunted anything else, but the way it performed and the specs had me buy some more to keep in a rifle at home as HD ammo.

BTW, they do have a retail store northwest of Houston right off 290 at Jones Road. You get to pay county sales tax and it's a few miles drive out of town for me, but they occasionally have sales on in-stock stuff, you get to browse and see what your buying, and you save the shipping. Since they have a Texas retail store, you have to pay tax even on the mail order items so visiting the store can be worthwhile. And it's right beside a Harbor Freight so you can make an hour of shopping out of the trip. :mrgreen:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”