State Jail convictions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
barres
Posts in topic: 2

State Jail convictions

Post by barres »

I tried to search the forum for this, but a search for "State Jail" drops the word state and only searches for jail.

I have a co-worker who served time in a Texas State Jail facility. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't state Jail convictions still felonies, even though the sentence is for less than 2 years? I ask, because he has asked me to sell him a firearm.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

tommyg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: State Jail convictions

Post by tommyg »

DO NOT SELL IT TO HIM Anything that can be punished by over a year in jail no sale :rules:
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

State Jails are for convicted felons. Don’t sale.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Do not do the sale, unless you want to go to Jail!!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

you can sale to me tho. what is it and how much? lol
NRA Member

Topic author
barres
Posts in topic: 2

Post by barres »

Thanks, guys. Y'all confirmed what I thought.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

allisji

Post by allisji »

This topic has me wondering what would be the obligation to report to police if a person whom you know or suspect to be a prohibited person is attempting to purchase a gun.

Theoretically I would think that if you suspect that the person will continue to pursue obtaining a firearm by other means then you should alert authorities.

But if you suspect that the individual will no longer attempt to obtain a weapon then unless required by law I would think that you would not be under obligation to report. What are the odds that a person may not realize that they are prohibited from owning a firearm? I would think that this would be something that would be made clear when a felony conviction is made.

Certainly if you suspect that the person is attempting to obtain a weapon in order to commit a criminal act then you should report it immediately.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a box on every state-issued ID indicating the person's firearm eligibility? A simple yes or no.

Good job on doing your due diligence!
Jeff

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

To the OP: I’m sorry your coworker has put you in this very awkward position. He should know better.

Regarding allisji’s thoughts: I was thinking the same thing. This is a heckova position for the OP to be in.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

C-dub wrote:To the OP: I’m sorry your coworker has put you in this very awkward position. He should know better.

Regarding allisji’s thoughts: I was thinking the same thing. This is a heckova position for the OP to be in.
He probably does know better and is looking for someone who will sell him one despite his ineligibility.

In a situation where you aren’t sure would you be able to conduct the transaction through a FFL with a 4473 and background check? Make the prospective buyer pay the FFL transfer fee up front with no refund if denied.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”