Event outside of a bar

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: North Texas

Event outside of a bar

Postby Grundy1133 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Ok, so I want to attend this event that's being hosted by a bar. The event itself says its gonna be outside the bar... this is the info:

Denton Mudbug Boil
Nonprofit Organization · Denton, Texas
Behind Lucky Lou's at 1207 W Hickory, Denton TX 76201.

I assume since the outdoor patio is "connected" to the bar I won't be able to carry on the patio?
NRA Member


SigM4
Senior Member
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:14 am
Location: Willow Park

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby SigM4 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:34 am

If it were to be held in a common parking lot (think strip shopping center) I think you could make the argument that it was not “part of” the bar. However, if the patio is part of the bar’s area, it would says it’s off limits.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

User avatar

Teamless
Senior Member
Posts: 3151
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby Teamless » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:53 am

Also assuming if the "bar" is 51%
Im not being sarcastic, but some "bars" are not 51%... Bar Louie, Baybrook Mall for example is not. (Bar Louie in other locations are)
Houston, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL


tool4daman
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:53 am
Location: Frisco

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby tool4daman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:56 am

Lucky Lou’s is a 51% establishment according to the TABC app.
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

User avatar

warnmar10
Senior Member
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby warnmar10 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:50 am

Grundy1133 wrote:...
Behind Lucky Lou's at 1207 W Hickory, Denton TX 76201.

...
Behind Lucky Lou's is a large parking lot common to several businesses on that corner.

Image

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby Grundy1133 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:33 am

i sent the venue a message asking if the event would be in the parking lot or if it'd be considered part of the bar itself.
NRA Member


BBYC
Senior Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby BBYC » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:45 pm

“Premises” means a building or a portion of a building
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts: 17867
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby Keith B » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:40 pm

BBYC wrote:“Premises” means a building or a portion of a building

Not by TABC terms. The 'licensed premises' is defined as the area where they can serve alcohol for on-premise consumption. It may normally not include the parking lot, but they also may get a temporary license to cover sale and consumption in the parking lot and then it would be off-limits. Best bet on these, if it's a bar and beside the business in their private parking area, and they are predominately selling alcohol, then it will be 99% a no-go.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby Grundy1133 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Keith B wrote:
BBYC wrote:“Premises” means a building or a portion of a building

Not by TABC terms. The 'licensed premises' is defined as the area where they can serve alcohol for on-premise consumption. It may normally not include the parking lot, but they also may get a temporary license to cover sale and consumption in the parking lot and then it would be off-limits. Best bet on these, if it's a bar and beside the business in their private parking area, and they are predominately selling alcohol, then it will be 99% a no-go.

alright, thanks. But I can still have my gun in my vehicle tho right?
NRA Member

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts: 17867
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby Keith B » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
BBYC wrote:“Premises” means a building or a portion of a building

Not by TABC terms. The 'licensed premises' is defined as the area where they can serve alcohol for on-premise consumption. It may normally not include the parking lot, but they also may get a temporary license to cover sale and consumption in the parking lot and then it would be off-limits. Best bet on these, if it's a bar and beside the business in their private parking area, and they are predominately selling alcohol, then it will be 99% a no-go.

alright, thanks. But I can still have my gun in my vehicle tho right?


Yes
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 7680
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby Abraham » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Let me add and ask: If you are stopped and found to be over the limit, (DWI) with your hand gun found in the vehicle - might your LTC be lost?

Keith?

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts: 17867
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby Keith B » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Abraham wrote:Let me add and ask: If you are stopped and found to be over the limit, (DWI) with your hand gun found in the vehicle - might your LTC be lost?

Keith?


Yes, intoxicated with a gun will cost you a ton of money and your license. Hopefully they are smart enough to not drink to that level and try to drive, much less be in the vehicle with a gun.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby Grundy1133 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Keith B wrote:
Abraham wrote:Let me add and ask: If you are stopped and found to be over the limit, (DWI) with your hand gun found in the vehicle - might your LTC be lost?

Keith?


Yes, intoxicated with a gun will cost you a ton of money and your license. Hopefully they are smart enough to not drink to that level and try to drive, much less be in the vehicle with a gun.

in my case, im not interested in the booze im goin for the crawdad boil! lol.
NRA Member


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 7680
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby Abraham » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Keith B,

Thanks, that was fast.

The absolute limit of what's defined as DWI is the consumption of so little alcohol (imo) as it makes sense to me to limit oneself to drinking 'nothing alcoholic' if one is going to drive, never mind driving with a gun in the vehicle.

Sure, if you're big as 'Andre The Giant' you can probably get away with drinking two 12 oz. beers and not be considered over the limit.

If you're an average size guy (or smaller), even that amount could get one busted for DWI.

Or, leave gun at home, get a sober designated driver (or taxi) and drink yourself to happiness...

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts: 17867
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Event outside of a bar

Postby Keith B » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:03 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Abraham wrote:Let me add and ask: If you are stopped and found to be over the limit, (DWI) with your hand gun found in the vehicle - might your LTC be lost?

Keith?


Yes, intoxicated with a gun will cost you a ton of money and your license. Hopefully they are smart enough to not drink to that level and try to drive, much less be in the vehicle with a gun.

in my case, im not interested in the booze im goin for the crawdad boil! lol.

:thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4


Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Boxerrider and 13 guests