Online access for renewals

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oldjarhead
Posts in topic: 2

Online access for renewals

Post by oldjarhead »

I just entered the within six month able to renew period, a couple of days ago. I can log on, but go no further. I have yet to receive a renewal notice from snail mail. This is my first renewal. Can anyone who has renewed their LTC before, tell me when I might expect the website to work for me? Do I have to wait for The renewal notice first? Thanks.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Online access for renewals

Post by Pawpaw »

I believe the online system is set up to allow renewal 180 days before your license expires (computers are such literal devices). Counting back 180 days can be a frustrating and time consuming activity.

Here's an easy way:

Use a Julian Calendar, like this one: https://www.calendarlabs.com/view/2018- ... lendar/926

Let's say your birthday is September 22. That is Julian day 265.

Today (March 22) is Julian day 81.

Subtract 81 from 265 and you get 184, so you would have to wait a few more days.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum (or at least your first post)! Based on your username, I'm guessing the Julian Calendar isn't anything new to you. :tiphat:
Last edited by Pawpaw on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Make sure you are within 180 days. I think I remember their system calculates days, not months or dates.. Take a calendar, count back 180 days from the day after your expiration.

Also, make sure your address is current.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

I just finished my first renewal online a couple of weeks ago. My current license expires in June so I was well within the six month period. I received my notice in the mail sometime in December. Everything went very well with the application process online. I'm in the background review process now and have been for several days.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Wait for the renewal notice in the mail.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

brucesw2

Post by brucesw2 »

mine expires in august i was able to renew the 1st of march online,,,like you i never got the notice in the mail

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Pawpaw wrote:I believe the online system is set up to allow renewal 180 days before your license expires (computers are such literal devices). Counting back 180 days can be a frustrating and time consuming activity.
:iagree: What he said, my wife and I, received our renewal reminders, my son say he did not, but we realize if it is something important that we are the ones responsible for knowing what to do and doing it. The reminder is just a perk.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

RoyGBiv wrote:Wait for the renewal notice in the mail.
This ^

We renewed on line shortly AFTER we received our notices and had our third licenses each within two weeks, well ahead of the expiration date of the then current licenses.

Topic author
oldjarhead
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oldjarhead »

Thanks for all your comments. I was able to renew online today, as a "Senior" since I am a veteran. My checklist says only that only if my Drivers License photo or fingerprints are no longer usable, will any further action by me needs to be taken. Should not be a problem. My fingerprints were laser scanned digitally on glass. I think the number and letter barcode given is just my receipt number. Glad I don't have to upload any documents, like I did with the initial first application. Pretty easy. Is wait time still about sixty days? Thanks.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

I renewed a year ago and it didn't take 60 days. It was over 4 weeks but I think less than 6. I'd have to go back and check, but call it about 5 weeks. YMMV of course.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”