Another question on chl eligibility

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 4

Another question on chl eligibility

Post by Odinvalknir »

I dont know if there are not too many lawyers in here but I know there are a few instructors in here. I am looking to go take my LTC class in the next few weeks, and am trying to make a check list of all the things I need to do and maybe even a couple things I may need to worry about.

I will not go into specifics but suffice it to say when I was still a minor, probably 16 I was accused of making terroristic threats pertaining to some stupid comment that was made and overheard by someone in high school. I was actually kicked out of school and tried in court in front of a jury, and the disposition of the Court and case the jury found me not guilty or that the accusation was not true or however they do it when you are a minor. Basically I was found not guilty of making terroristic threats. So I kind of think that it should not be an issue in stopping me from obtaining my license, but I want to be sure before I go drop all the money on classes and Firearm and holster and everything else.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Another question on chl eligibility

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer, this is my opinion.

If you have never been convicted of a crime, then you have nothing to worry about.

If the record is not sealed or expunged, you may be asked for paperwork on the not guilty verdict. But, you are not a criminal if you have not been convicted or have taken a deferred adjudication.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

A felony conviction or certain Class A or B misdemeanor convictions without the appropriate amount of time passing since the conviction and time / probation served. A domestic violence conviction whether it is a felony or a misdemeanor will make you ineligible for a LTC, unless it is pardoned or expunged. The keyword is CONVICTION not arrest. Though an arrest without conviction might need to be explained and proven with court documents.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Well it's not like there was never an outcome to it I was found not guilty. So there was an arrest there was just never a conviction. And this is been 15 years ago now, so it wouldn't fall under the five-year for misdemeanors or anyting. It was also a while I was a juvenile so I don't think it will matter but I wanted to make sure because of what it was.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Odinvalknir wrote:Well it's not like there was never an outcome to it I was found not guilty. So there was an arrest there was just never a conviction. And this is been 15 years ago now, so it wouldn't fall under the five-year for misdemeanors or anyting. It was also a while I was a juvenile so I don't think it will matter but I wanted to make sure because of what it was.
If there was not a conviction there is not a time limit involved, probably need to get a copy of court record to prove it. They sometimes ask for proof of outcome no matter how long ago it occurred. But you are the one that has to prove it.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

infoman

Post by infoman »

you are good to go. 100%

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Sounds as if you are good to go but I would get final disposition papers to send in with the application just so it does not slow down the process. Otherwise, you will probably recieve a letter from DPS wanting this information and your time will start over (or so I've been told).
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

RPBrown wrote: and your time will start over (or so I've been told).

Wow really? Is there anywhere I can confirm that? I'll try to get paperwork somehow but I'm not sure how to go about that. But this starting time over is nonsense lol.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Odinvalknir wrote:
RPBrown wrote: and your time will start over (or so I've been told).

Wow really? Is there anywhere I can confirm that? I'll try to get paperwork somehow but I'm not sure how to go about that. But this starting time over is nonsense lol.
Just list the arrest on your application, send along a certified disposition from the court showing no conviction and you should be good to go.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

I'm pretty positive it was while I was a minor. I don't believe that they even do a check into juvenile stuff. Just adult background I'm thinking. If anyone has any insight, feel free to correct me. Because it is a pain to obtain juvenile records apparently.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Odinvalknir wrote:I'm pretty positive it was while I was a minor. I don't believe that they even do a check into juvenile stuff. Just adult background I'm thinking. If anyone has any insight, feel free to correct me. Because it is a pain to obtain juvenile records apparently.
Yes they will be able to check into the juvenile records. List the arrest, get a disposition from the court clerk, even if it says 'no records found' and send it in.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”