Best Buy store oopsie

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Best Buy store oopsie

Post by C-dub »

jason812 wrote:
C-dub wrote:All fun and jokes aside, if I found myself in this situation and I've considered it before, I would show them my license and tell them if they want to push it any further they would have to call the police and that I'd wait. When I'd last considered this was prior to OC passing. Also, AFAIK, Best Buy does not post 30.06 or .07 signs, so at least that part of this thread is a moot point.
I might not even show them the license. Just tell them to call the police and let them make a fool of themselves.
That also works!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

jason812 wrote:
C-dub wrote:All fun and jokes aside, if I found myself in this situation and I've considered it before, I would show them my license and tell them if they want to push it any further they would have to call the police and that I'd wait. When I'd last considered this was prior to OC passing. Also, AFAIK, Best Buy does not post 30.06 or .07 signs, so at least that part of this thread is a moot point.
I might not even show them the license. Just tell them to call the police and let them make a fool of themselves.
Not me! What if Barney Fife and his ilk show up?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Oldgringo wrote:
jason812 wrote:
Then we'll get to nip this whole shop lifting thing in the bud.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

C-dub wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
jason812 wrote:
Then we'll get to nip this whole shop lifting thing in the bud.
"rlol" I see what you did there! :thumbs2:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

C-dub wrote:Then we'll get to nip this whole shop lifting thing in the bud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mj6B4DtNyM
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Post by srothstein »

jason812 wrote:Just tell them to call the police and let them make a fool of themselves.
Having thought about this in the past, especially since Walmart started asking for receipts to let you leave the store, this is my recommended option.

If I am ever stopped, I am going to ask them to call the police and I am not going anywhere or letting them touch me. Nor will I do anything other than wait patiently for the police to arrive. After the police do arrive, I will cooperate with them, and then call my lawyer to file the slander and defamation lawsuit.

Obviously, my advice to act this way is based on teh assumption that you are not actually shoplifting.
Steve Rothstein

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

srothstein wrote:
jason812 wrote:Just tell them to call the police and let them make a fool of themselves.
Having thought about this in the past, especially since Walmart started asking for receipts to let you leave the store, this is my recommended option.

If I am ever stopped, I am going to ask them to call the police and I am not going anywhere or letting them touch me. Nor will I do anything other than wait patiently for the police to arrive. After the police do arrive, I will cooperate with them, and then call my lawyer to file the slander and defamation lawsuit.

Obviously, my advice to act this way is based on teh assumption that you are not actually shoplifting.
File a suit for unlawful detention?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I didn't sign anything (like I did at Sam's that I have previously agreeg to this sort indignity) that said they could detain me to verify my receipt against what's in my shopping cart.

Gawd help them if they do.

And yes, I'm familiar with the passives out there who declare 'why give some poor hourly wage earner a hard time' just do as your told.

Principle, that's why.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I'm inclined to cut some hourly employee a little slack for the mistake. God knows, I'm not perfect either. Some might consider it passive, but my time and dignity are worth more than a 30 minute or more wait to be "cleared."

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Asking because I don't honestly know. Can Best Buy or Walmart employees legally detain somebody? In other words, can somebody working at Walmart detain me if they ask for a receipt when I am leaving and I refuse to show it? Not that I would per se but just trying to understand the legalities.
Psalm 91:2

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grundy1133 »

SQLGeek wrote:Asking because I don't honestly know. Can Best Buy or Walmart employees legally detain somebody? In other words, can somebody working at Walmart detain me if they ask for a receipt when I am leaving and I refuse to show it? Not that I would per se but just trying to understand the legalities.
ive worked at wal mart for an accumulated 5 years and the answer is no unless they're asset protection. we're trained to never detain anyone or follow them out the door. just tell management. idk about best buy tho tbh.
NRA Member

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Is LP/AP legally able to detain somebody? If so, under what authority?
Psalm 91:2

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

SQLGeek wrote:Is LP/AP legally able to detain somebody? If so, under what authority?
well when i worked there AP would detain people who were shop lifting. theyd take them into a seperate room and contact the authorities so i assume yes they have authority but idk under "what" authority.
NRA Member

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

SQLGeek wrote:Is LP/AP legally able to detain somebody? If so, under what authority?
Any citizen has the authority to detain someone under Article 18.16 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.
Art. 18.16. PREVENTING CONSEQUENCES OF THEFT. Any person has a right to prevent the consequences of theft by seizing any personal property that has been stolen and bringing it, with the person suspected of committing the theft, if that person can be taken, before a magistrate for examination, or delivering the property and the person suspected of committing the theft to a peace officer for that purpose. To justify a seizure under this article, there must be reasonable ground to believe the property is stolen, and the seizure must be openly made and the proceedings had without delay.
This is what generally allows people to work security and loss prevention. But it does require them to be right. The person detained not only must be a thief but must actually have the stolen property on them.
Steve Rothstein

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

srothstein wrote:
Any citizen has the authority to detain someone under Article 18.16 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.
Art. 18.16. PREVENTING CONSEQUENCES OF THEFT. Any person has a right to prevent the consequences of theft by seizing any personal property that has been stolen and bringing it, with the person suspected of committing the theft, if that person can be taken, before a magistrate for examination, or delivering the property and the person suspected of committing the theft to a peace officer for that purpose. To justify a seizure under this article, there must be reasonable ground to believe the property is stolen, and the seizure must be openly made and the proceedings had without delay.
This is what generally allows people to work security and loss prevention. But it does require them to be right. The person detained not only must be a thief but must actually have the stolen property on them.
so if an AP accuses me of shoplifting and detains me an dit turns out its just my gun could i file charges against the store for unlawful detainment?
NRA Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”