CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ejector
Posts in topic: 1

Article:Virginia Students Seeks to Carry on Campus

Post by ejector »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293132,00.html
RICHMOND, Va. — Some college students are pushing for their schools to allow them to carry guns on campus.

They say they should have the right to protect themselves in the event of a shooting like the one that left 33 people dead at Virginia Tech.

Andrew Dysart, a George Mason University senior, has organized a chapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

The group hopes to convince legislators to overturn a Virginia law that allows universities to prohibit students, faculty and staff members with gun permits from carrying their weapons on campus.

Dysart says that the students at Tech should have had a chance to defend themselves.

Virginia law allows schools to decide whether to allow students with concealed-weapons permits to carry their guns on campus.

One state school, Blue Ridge Community College, does allow it. Schools cannot prohibit non-students or other outsiders from carrying weapons onto campuses if they have legal permits.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Good for them. This is how democracy works.

Texas Universities could allow licensed concealed carry, and students could push for it.

BTW, most college students are adults (18 or older) and they are the universities' customers, not their wards.

- Jim

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

1) The idea that anyone is in any added danger when in the presence of CHL's carrying guns has no basis in fact.

2) The idea that a would be mass murderer, banger, violent criminal, etc. would refrain from carrying a gun because of a "no guns" policy has no basis in fact.

Any questions?

Bravo for the VT students. TX students should emulate them. And Gov. Perry should use his bully pulpit more.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

TexAg08

Post by TexAg08 »

Im part of a students for concealed campus group at Texas A&M. Im really hoping to see Perry go though with his statement about allowing CHL holders to carry anywhere, including college campuses. Sad thing is, before any legislation will get through, ill have already graduated :cry:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TexAg08 wrote:. . . Sad thing is, before any legislation will get through, ill have already graduated :cry:
I know how you feel. I was 30 years old when I wrote the first CHL bill in 1980 for the 1981 Texas Legislative Session. I was 45 when SB60 passed in 1995. Just take pride in the fact that you are helping those who will follow after you.

Chas.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TexAg08 wrote:. . . Sad thing is, before any legislation will get through, ill have already graduated :cry:
I know how you feel. I was 30 years old when I wrote the first CHL bill in 1980 for the 1981 Texas Legislative Session. I was 45 when SB60 passed in 1995. Just take pride in the fact that you are helping those who will follow after you.

Chas.
Got that right! :thumbsup:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

phddan

Post by phddan »

Wow,
45 in 1995
That would make you......................

Hold on
I need to go get the grandkids and borrow their fingers and toes too. :grin:

Dan

Sarah81

Post by Sarah81 »

TexAg08 wrote:Sad thing is, before any legislation will get through, ill have already graduated :cry:
Same here. But I might go to grad school. And even if I don't, I have younger brothers and a sister. Even if I don't have the right to carry when I'm on campus, they should.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Applause to Sarah81. :cool:

It's not all about us, and it's not all about right here, right now. The "big picture" is about doing what is right for all time, even if it takes some time to get there.

Kevin

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

phddan wrote:Wow,
45 in 1995

Dan
Younger than me. :grin:

A slight warning about unintended consequences.

A lot of years ago I lived in upstate NY and we had a group which sued some judges for not granting pistol permits on a timely basis, for not giving adequate reasons for denying pistol permits, and for placing restrictions on pistol permits beyond those in the law.

We won some, we lost some, and that's a whole 'nother story, but one that we won and lost was the judges placing restrictions on permits. NY had two classes of permit to own a handgun, a premises permit which allowed the owner to have the gun at a specific named location and to take it to the range and that was all, and a carry permit which allowed pretty much unrestricted carry, concealed or open.

Judges (as permit issuing authorities) were writing restrictions on the faces of the documents, which we considered to be beyond the scope of the law and to be defacing an official document. The restrictions were such things as "While hunting and fishing only"; "For target shooting only"; or "While depositing money."

We sued over the marking of the permits, and the following year a bill was passed that allowed judges to restrict pistol permits in any manner they saw fit. That law still exists.

Of course that was in anti-gun NY State.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Dwight K. Schrute

Post by Dwight K. Schrute »

I am a good friend of Dysart's and a fellow member of his organization. Please visit us at http://www.concealedcampus.org/ .
Μολὼν λαβέ

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

Hear hear. Just what I want to say: Just take pride in the fact that you are helping those who will follow after you.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

phddan wrote:Wow,
45 in 1995

Hold on
I need to go get the grandkids and borrow their fingers and toes too. :grin:

Dan
Man, am I soooooo glad you said this...And not me...Charles would give me such a thump! :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I could speculate as to what campus might "first" lift a restriction, but only after the law was amended to allow the licenced carry of firearms on and about college facilities and premises...Even though I feel premises (parking lots and other conveyances outside "structures") has always been acceptable...

But I know what campus would be last...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

para driver

Post by para driver »

TexAg08 wrote:Im part of a students for concealed campus group at Texas A&M. Im really hoping to see Perry go though with his statement about allowing CHL holders to carry anywhere, including college campuses. Sad thing is, before any legislation will get through, ill have already graduated :cry:
and even if it does pass, it will have little effect, as most students are under 21 anyway.. although, a few staff might be able to carry..
however, as an old dog who intends to go finish his degree.. I'd be happy to impliment the new law, FULLY.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”