Attacking Dog and Shooting

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

drinks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by drinks »

I really do not have to soul search on this one.
Trinity Co. has an animal control law, dogs AND cats must be confined to the owner's property and must have a collar and rabies tag.
Off the owner's property, they MUST be on a leash.
Every time I have called the Sheriff's office about animals in my yard, if without a collar and tag, the word is "Shoot them".
If with a collar and tag, they say"Deputy Dog will be there soon"
When he shows up, if the animal can be captured, fine, taken in, owner notified.
Owner shows up, given a summons for violating leash law.
Animal cannot be captured or followed to home, shot in the first safe place.
Really makes good sense to me, if you want a dog or cat, keep the damn things where they belong!

:roll:
NRA, TSRA, CCRKBA, SAF, JPFO, Def-Con, GOA and CBA.

Thane
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Thane »

If a dog attacked me and I had opportunity to draw and fire, I'd shoot it.

More likely, as I carry tucked, I'd have to make do with some sort of improvised weapon... My keys, my pocket chain, pens...

Or the .22 Derringer I keep in my pocket. :roll: Yes, dogs are one of the main reasons I carry the little "toy." Five shots of .22 LR might not immediately kill an attacking dog, but it DOES buy me some time to unlimber the "cannon." (1911, .45 ACP)

The one exception would be little yap dogs (chihuahuas, toy poodles, etc.), who would learn flying lessons courtesy of a cowboy boot.

I've been chewed up by one dog before. I don't intend to let it happen again.

Fragger

Post by Fragger »

I ride my Schwin for medical and weight reduction, have used everything from my pellet pistol to straight ammonia they do not like the ammonia bad thing is they have to be pretty close , wasp and hornet spray works the best but costs most. quiet frankly i dion't care if the dog dies while trying to get me off my bike . oh yes one time I was pulled off my bike , dog grabbed my coverall leg and pulled me down.I lost it!! Threw the bike at the dog !! he retreated at his owners command and the owner and I engaged in a very heated conversation, i told him next time this happened there would be a doggie bag for the mute , he threatened to call the cops i offered him my cell he declined and appoligized for his dogs actions, I did not for mine !!
I ride about 10-20 miles a day and do not like interruptions or detours ..on the average there are about 3- 4 large dogs who will engage , at times i carry a hard plastic air soft semi auto gun with me, I will shoot the dogs in front of their owners if they chase me ..
We do have a leash law in my town and the cops in my hood are on our side.
Good day!
Love your neighbor; as yourself!!

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

Link to story
Pit Bulls Break Into Washington Woman's Home and Maul Her

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

GIG HARBOR, Wash. — Two pit bull terriers broke into a house through a pet door Tuesday and attacked a woman in her bed, mauling her badly, a Pierce County sheriff's spokesman said.

The woman was able to grab a gun and try to shoot the dogs, then break away from the attack and lock herself in her car, where she called 911, sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said.

The woman, who was not immediately identified, was taken to a hospital in Tacoma, where she was listed in serious condition.

Officers planned to talk to the dogs' owner.

The pit bulls also killed a neighbor's Jack Russell terrier, which entered the house during the attack, Troyer said.

"The thought is that the Jack Russell heard noise in the neighbor's house, came in and was attacked by the dogs," Troyer said.

Firefighters responded first, locking the dogs in the house, treating the woman and calling for an ambulance.

Officers "had to pepper spray and fight the dogs until they were detained. We almost had to shoot them on site," Troyer said.

The dogs were taken to a Humane Society and will probably be destroyed, he said.

It was not immediately known why the dogs entered the house, whether the woman had dogs of her own or what set off the attack.

angrybeavis

Post by angrybeavis »

I got to thinking about this after reading that story today. I think i'd rather face any possible charges about discharging my weapon than be mauled to death.

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

All animals are equal!!! Why dogs are treated better than snakes? This is pure discrimination!!!

Animals have rights!!!

If you step on my pet cockroach, you will be sued!!!

Is it justified to shoot a person, if s/he tries to bite me?
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

angrybeavis

Post by angrybeavis »

Stupid wrote:All animals are equal!!! Why dogs are treated better than snakes? This is pure discrimination!!!
But a dog has personality. :)

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

angrybeavis wrote:
Stupid wrote:All animals are equal!!! Why dogs are treated better than snakes? This is pure discrimination!!!
But a dog has personality. :)
Snakes have personality too... just, not a happy one!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

Over the decades, tens of thousands of letter carriers are attacked by dogs each year, almost none seriously. Serious injury usually only occurs to children or elderly. If you shoot a dog, you may have a hard time convincing folks your actions were reasonable. Trying to shoot a dog running at you is often a difficult task.

Myself, I expect to win the lottery before needing to shoot a dog to protect my life.

mcub

Post by mcub »

I think every one is over thinking this:
It comes down to would a jury believe you where afraid of serious injury or death.

A dirty looking stray, foaming at the mouth, charging down the street at you, you'll probably get away with it.

A nice clean bull dog, with a collar, just walking down the street, you're likely getting offered probation to save the tax payer a trail.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

mcub wrote:I think every one is over thinking this:
It comes down to would a jury believe you where afraid of serious injury or death.
The defense to shooting a dog (necessity) does not require either of those.

However, I agree everyone is overthinking this. You can protect yourself.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

drinks

Post by drinks »

Take a look at the thread above, new laws.
HB 1355 is in response to the woman who was killed by her neighbor's pack of dogs as she was mowing her yard.
Pretty well puts irresponsible dog owners in line for the pen if they allow their dogs free rein. :twisted:
NRA, TSRA, CCRKBA, SAF, JPFO, Def-Con, GOA and CBA.

RubenZ

Post by RubenZ »

It's kind of pathetic if one had to shoot an attacking Chihuahua LOL. Seriously. Yes they attack you and bite, but you can easily just pick it up and toss it in a trashcan LOL.

sf1058

Post by sf1058 »

You may not be able to shoot a dog if it's attacking you, but it's nice to know you've got some civil protection if it's attacking Fido or Mr. Bigglesworth... ;-)

Vernon's Texas Statutes and Codes Annotated Currentness. Health and Safety Code. Title 10. Health and Safety of Animals. Chapter 822. Regulation of Animals. Subchapter B. Dogs and Coyotes That Are a Danger to Animals. § 822.013. Dogs or Coyotes That Attack Animals.

Statute Details
Printable Version
Citation: TX HEALTH & S § 822.013

Citation: V. T. C. A., Health & Safety Code § 822.013

Summary:
This Texas statute provides that a dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by any person witnessing the attack or the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack. A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

Statute in Full:

(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:

(1) any person witnessing the attack; or

(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.

(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.

(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

sf1058 wrote:You may not be able to shoot a dog if it's attacking you,
Of course you can.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”