Good time today.....

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Venus Pax »

phddan wrote:I'm still waiting for someone to explain why we even have to pay the state and pay for a class.
Something about shall not be infringed keeps coming to mind.
I don't mind paying an instructor. I like getting paid for my work, so I don't mind paying another for his/her time and expertise.

What I don't like is that steep fee. I wouldn't mind a small fee to cover office-related expenses, but I think the $140 (& even $70 for renewal) is way over the top.

I think it costs $10 to have the address changed on a driver's license. A renewal cost shouldn't be much more than that. I think $30, at the most, would be a more reasonable fee for an initial application.

As stated in my earlier post, this puts all but the most motivated impoverished citizens out of a permit.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

HooG19
Posts in topic: 5

Post by HooG19 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:As someone mentioned in another thread, the range requirements for LEO qualifications are no more difficult than the CHL course.

Chas.
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. Yes perhaps the basic range qualification may be no different, but each department can have it's own standards. For example, Irving PD does much more than the simple 3,7,15 yard test. The LEO must be able to shoot with both hands, around barriers, and score no less than 85%. Their targets are also moveable and turn to display.
Concealed Carry since 8/17/07

mcub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mcub »

Gosh I feel bad that we so hi -jacked this mans post into an argument.

Your lady did do quite well for her first time around with a hand gun. Me I still have flinching and pulling issues.

HooG19
Posts in topic: 5

Post by HooG19 »

I sincerely apologize for the hijack...pin it on me, I brought up the issue.

I understand not wanting to make it any more difficult to obtain a CHL, which is why I will personally hold myself to the higher standard and hope that everyone else voluntarily does so as well.

RHZig, keep taking your lady to the range. If that target was from her first time to fire a handgun, that's pretty good. Just encourage and help her and she will be a fine shooter.
Concealed Carry since 8/17/07

drinks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by drinks »

There are those who have problems with some guns, too.
I have a PPP, puny plastic popgun, aka Kel-Tec P-3AT.
I have my own range, I have shot handguns since at least 1958, although not nearly as much as shotguns and rifles.
I tried the Kel-Tec at 7yds, using the sights, I could not hit the 8 1/2 x11 paper target once out of 5 shots, at 4 yds, I hit it once, using the sights.
I then used the instinctive method, forefinger alongside the gun and second finger on the trigger, I put 4 of 5 on the paper.
Just to see if it was me, I went to 25 yds with my Hi Point C9 and my Ruger Mk II, I shot 75 out of 100 with the Hi Point and 82 out of !00 with the Ruger.
In my opinion, some people and some guns just are not meant for each other.
I next plan to try a light weight 2" revolver and see if I can do better than contact range distance with it.
:sad: :shock:
NRA, TSRA, CCRKBA, SAF, JPFO, Def-Con, GOA and CBA.

player_twister

Post by player_twister »

Durrying my chl shooting portion, I just remember getting hit in the head by everyone elses casings. I returned home, and pulled three out of my shirt pocket. :grin:

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

drinks wrote:In my opinion, some people and some guns just are not meant for each other.
You got that right...But half the fun is in finding the right one...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”