CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mkc4091
Posts in topic: 4

Costco prohibit carry - No signs posted

Post by mkc4091 »

Hi everyone,

I do have License to Carry and went to Costco today carrying concealed. I wore a t-shirt with another button shirt on top to conceal my Glock 17. One of employee accidentally bumped into me and she felt I have a gun underneath my shirt. She told me Costco do not allow carrying weapon in the store. I told her that there is no sign in front of the store that prohibit carrying a firearm and I told her I have a license to carry. After I checked out and as I walking out the door a manager runs after me and told me the same thing. I told him I have a license to carry and there is no sign any place prohibit me from carrying. He told me that Costco does not need to have a sign to prohibit carrying firearm; he also told me when I signed up for membership it stated in the policy.

Can business legally prohibit people from carrying firearms without a 30.06 or 30.07 sign?

Thanks

SigM4

Re: Costco prohibit carry - No signs posted

Post by SigM4 »

Yes. They can prohibit carry in their stores by the 30.06/30.07 signs or that same verbiage on a written sheet provided to you or by verbal conveyance of their no carry policy by someone with the authority to do so (employee/manager/etc). So yes, you have now been informed. The wording in their member policy has no legal weight other than it allows them to cancel your membership for violation.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

chamberc
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chamberc »

mkc4091 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:28 pm Hi everyone,

I do have License to Carry and went to Costco today carrying concealed. I wore a t-shirt with another button shirt on top to conceal my Glock 17. One of employee accidentally bumped into me and she felt I have a gun underneath my shirt. She told me Costco do not allow carrying weapon in the store. I told her that there is no sign in front of the store that prohibit carrying a firearm and I told her I have a license to carry. After I checked out and as I walking out the door a manager runs after me and told me the same thing. I told him I have a license to carry and there is no sign any place prohibit me from carrying. He told me that Costco does not need to have a sign to prohibit carrying firearm; he also told me when I signed up for membership it stated in the policy.

Can business legally prohibit people from carrying firearms without a 30.06 or 30.07 sign?

Thanks
You've also now been verbally notified by a manager and can never carry legally again in that Costco.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

chamberc wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:49 pm

Thanks
You've also now been verbally notified by a manager and can never carry legally again in that Costco.

YMMV but it would be the last time I darkened their doorway. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Beyond what’s already been said, I find it odd that they said much about it. I do know they’ll say something about OC, but I’ve always gotten the feeling that if it was out of sight they begrudgingly accepted CC, at least at stores here in Texas. More so as to not piss off their clientele than anything.

Care to share which location this was at?

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

As I tell my students, 30.06 is not a sign. It's the law that provides private property owners to prohibit concealed carry.

They can do so in various ways as described above by the previous replies, but the business is NOT required to have a sign. If they exercise any of the methods prescribed in the 30.06 law, then you have been notified, and cannot carry.

Replace 30.06 with 30.07 in my sentences above, and the message is the same with respect to open carry.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

eieio1

Post by eieio1 »

Good thing our Costco membership is in my wife's name ;-)
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO
NRA Instructor - Rifle and Shotgun

Caliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Caliber »

I've been a Costco member since 9/2000. I'm guessing the membership agreement back then was silent regarding guns. And, my renewals have never included a new membership document. Therefore, I believe that at this point in time, I've not been "notified".

I was at Costco yesterday and carried concealed.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Thanks
Allow me to let my paranoia run free for a moment. You sure this was 'an accident'? I've never had an employee blunder into me in a big box store. And since LTC I try to track, or totally avoid, people being behind me.

And did she ask "is that a gun in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" :biggrinjester:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

eieio1 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:03 pm Good thing our Costco membership is in my wife's name ;-)
I was wondering what would prevent a guest of a member from carrying.
Charlie

philip964

Post by philip964 »

You are very lucky person.

Things in Costco can deteriorate rapidly when it comes to guns.

Their membership agreement you signed, you agreed that you would never bring a gun into Costco.

Here is probably my first post on this forum.

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... lit=costco

This former West Point Army Captain and CHL in Las Vegas, Nevada was concealed carrying in their store there. There are no signs prohibiting guns at the store he was in. He and his girlfriend were approached by a store person and was told there were no guns allowed in the store, after he squatted down and the gun was partially exposed. Rather than leaving he got all second amendment with the person. BTW he was never specifically told he must leave.

Security called 911 with an emergency that there was a man in their store with a gun.

Las Vegas police arrived in mass.

They decided the best approach was to say the store must be evacuated due to a bomb threat. The CHL and his girlfriend peacefully left the store. He was talking on his cell phone or holding it in his hand at the time, as he was walking out with the other customers in mass. From behind his back the security pointed him out to the police.

Once outside the store, but still under the outdoor covered area and in and among all the other shoppers and his girlfriend, the police surrounded him and shouted conflicting orders, freeze, drop your gun, hands up. One officer in fear of his life began shooting at what he thought was a threat. In what is called contagious fire, the other officers began firing. Many of the bullets were fired when he was lying face down on the ground dying. Had every shot fired not hit its mark other customers or the officers themselves would have been hit. Most customers were shocked.

In the press he was portrayed as a madman with a gun. It was only later that his father tied to clear his good name that he was an innocent man murdered by the Las Vegas police.

In the end there were no charges, all the video cameras that showed the event were not working that day. Two of the officers received awards from a national police officers association.

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Be careful in Costco.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Vol Texan wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:58 pm As I tell my students, 30.06 is not a sign. It's the law that provides private property owners to prohibit concealed carry.
I wish more instructors would convey it this way.

Topic author
mkc4091

Post by mkc4091 »

SigM4 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:54 pm Care to share which location this was at?
The location is in Houston, TX - Willowbrook on N. Gessner Rd.

Think about it, it may have not been an accident that employee bumped into me, may be she saw a bulge and want to touch it to see if it's a gun, now I think of it if someone accicentally bumped into me, besides feeling some thing hard underneath my clothing, how do they know it's a gun unless her hand touch it.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

SigM4 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:23 pm
Vol Texan wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:58 pm As I tell my students, 30.06 is not a sign. It's the law that provides private property owners to prohibit concealed carry.
I wish more instructors would convey it this way.
Thank you sir.
:tiphat:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

chamberc wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:49 pm

Thanks
ALSO....

PLEASE resist the impulse to educate business owners/managers so that they know more efficiently how to keep ALL of us out of their stores!! Just STOP it.

If they don’t know that their signs have no value, too dang bad. It's their JOB to know. It's NOT your job to help them figure out how to infringe upon our rights.

FTR, I carry in Costco every time I go. It’s not 30.06/07 posted, so I don’t care. And I don’t inform people that I’m carrying. Unless you showed that employee your gun, he/she literally had no knowledge of what you were carrying. If asked, you could have said that it was your cellphone, or an insulin pump, or a portable cardiac monitor, or whatever. It’s none of her business to ask, so you’re under no obligation to tell her. Tell her whatever will make her go away.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”