Deer lease

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
familyman
Posts in topic: 1

Deer lease

Post by familyman »

Can a CHL holder open cary on his deer lease?

How about as an invited guest at someone elses ranch?

Texas law prohibits a hunter from carrying during bow season without a CHL. This leads me to beleive that even on your own land while hunting during bow season open carry is not an option.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

I think you are correct unless you're using the handgun to hunt.

- Jim

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "This leads me to beleive that even on your own land while hunting during bow season open carry is not an option."

That is correct - during archery season. Only useable under conditions specified in Chaper 9.

But, during other times of year, for hunting on at least private land, open carry of handguns can be considered part of the "sporting" activity.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I'm contradicting myself now. If the terms of the lease mean that you are in effective control of the property for some period of time, you should be able to openly carry a handgun.

BTW, this is one of those areas where the law is nonsensical. If you already have a rifle or shotgun, how does prohibiting you from carrying a handgun accomplish anything?

- Jim

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "If you already have a rifle or shotgun, how does prohibiting you from carrying a handgun accomplish anything?"

Handguns are not prohibited any time except archery season - when all types of firarms are prohibited (except for CHLers and the exemption applies only to their concealed handgun.)

The spirit of the law is to insure that deer are only taken with archery equipment during archery season.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Greybeard wrote:Quote: "If you already have a rifle or shotgun, how does prohibiting you from carrying a handgun accomplish anything?"

Handguns are not prohibited any time except archery season - when all types of firearms are prohibited (except for CHLers and the exemption applies only to their concealed handgun.)

The spirit of the law is to insure that deer are only taken with archery equipment during archery season.

From the TPWD outdoor annual 2007-2008: "Quote"

It is unlawful to be in possession of a firearm while hunting with a broadhead HUNTING point during the Archery-Only season, except a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Texas may carry a concealed handgun.

NOTE: A firearm may be possessed in camp, in a motor vehicle, or while hunting lawful game other than whitetail or mule deer and turkey (e.g., exotics, feral hogs, squirrels). "End Quote"

This applies only to hunting Deer and Turkey...and only during the Archery-Only season (as concerns having a firearm on your person).
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

I don't hunt and do not have a hunting livense.

I do have a small herd of deer that seem to hang around my small spread off and on. Sometimes I see them and sometimes I don't.

While I have a CHL, it has been my policy since Day 1 to open carry on my spread anytime I please, which is most of the time. I have no idea when archery season begins or ends. I have never had any interest in looking into it.

From time to time I practice target shooting on my private range. This can be at any time of the year.

I firmly believe that I am not violating any laws in doing any of these things..

Am I correct?
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:I don't hunt and do not have a hunting livense.

I do have a small herd of deer that seem to hang around my small spread off and on. Sometimes I see them and sometimes I don't.

While I have a CHL, it has been my policy since Day 1 to open carry on my spread anytime I please, which is most of the time. I have no idea when archery season begins or ends. I have never had any interest in looking into it.

From time to time I practice target shooting on my private range. This can be at any time of the year.

I firmly believe that I am not violating any laws in doing any of these things..

Am I correct?

That is correct Frankie.

The "Archery-Only Season" has nothing to do with you having a firearm with you unless you are hunting Deer or Turkey. So, you may continue to do exactly as you please (within the bounds of other laws) on your own property.

Not hunting, no problem!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Archery season for this year (most counties) runs Sept. 29 thru Nov. 2. Bow hunters in Tejas get a head start on the firearms-only crowd. And have to try and stay unstinky and sit super still in the midst of more mosquitoes. :smile:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”