Opinions wanted: "Nice" gun vs. "Junk" g

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rm9792
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Opinions wanted: "Nice" gun vs. "Junk&quo

Post by rm9792 »

Moonpie wrote:Had an interesting discussion with some fellow CHL guys yesterday.
One was of the opinion that a CHL should carry a "throw down", "junk", or beater weapon. His reasoning was you WILL loose the weapon if involed in any kind of shooting(or stolen).
Of course you will "loose" the weapon, thats what it is for. You will probably "lose" the weapon after the police arrive as well.

zeroskillz

Post by zeroskillz »

As long as the weapon is 100% reliable and you're proficient with it, the cost shouldn't matter. If it was cheap but preforms, thats great.

That being said, I carry a Sig 229 with CT grips on it. All totaled I've got just under $1000 in it. This is my choice because Sigs ar are well known for their reliability and mine has proven to be that way after thousands of rounds and no malfunctions.

I should also say that I might be a bit biased. Since I bought it, and got my CHL, I've gotten my FFL and sell a crapload of Sigs.
:grin:
So if I had to replace it, it wouldn't cost me nearly as much anymore.

stroo

Post by stroo »

You CHL gun is a tool. Make sure it is reliable, you can run it and it shoots well. My carry gun right now is a FM Hi power I bought for $300. It runs great, goes bang every time and I find I shoot it better than any other hand gun I have or have tried, including some that are considerably more expensive and some that were half the price.

If you have to use it and it served you well, then let the chips fall where they may. You got your money's worth out of the gun no matter what the cost.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

stroo wrote:You CHL gun is a tool. Make sure it is reliable, you can run it and it shoots well. My carry gun right now is a FM Hi power I bought for $300. It runs great, goes bang every time and I find I shoot it better than any other hand gun I have or have tried, including some that are considerably more expensive and some that were half the price.

If you have to use it and it served you well, then let the chips fall where they may. You got your money's worth out of the gun no matter what the cost.

Exactly!

Just take the cost of your weapon and divide that by the number of days you have owned it. Most of us will find that figure quite reasonable.

Now....if you manage to lose your new weapon on the way home from the gun show, then...... :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

yobdab wrote:The police would have to return your weapon after a Grand Jury failed to indict
Technical correction but no they do not. The grand jury no bill is not a get out of jail free card. The D.A. could decide to keep the case open and represent it to the next grand jury.

Here is the law on returning firearms to their owners:

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/do ... m#18.19.00
Steve Rothstein

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I would be more concerned about the money I would be paying for legal fees to protect myself than over the loss of a gun. I don't own a single gun that I paid more than $500 for. Most of my weapons would fall in the $200 to $300 category.
I prefer not to spend a lot of money on things that I can't take with me when I die.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Topic author
Moonpie
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Moonpie »

Its an individual choice.
If a guy wants to carry a $2500+ Clark Custom 1911 so be it.
If a guy wants to carry a $40 Lorcin so be it.
I wouldn't carry either.
If the weapon in question works perfectly, an El-Cheapo fires the same bullet at the same velocity as the more expensive firearm.
I seriously doubt a bad guy will know the difference.

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

What am I missing in this text?

(c) If there is no prosecution or conviction for an offense
involving the weapon seized, the magistrate to whom the seizure was
reported shall, before the 61st day after the date the magistrate
determines that there will be no prosecution or conviction, notify
in writing the person found in possession of the weapon that the
person is entitled to the weapon upon written request to the
magistrate. The magistrate shall order the weapon returned to the
person found in possession before the 61st day after the date the
magistrate receives a request from the person. If the weapon is not
requested before the 61st day after the date of notification, the
magistrate shall, before the 121st day after the date of
notification, order the weapon destroyed or forfeited to the state
for use by the law enforcement agency holding the weapon or by a
county forensic laboratory designated by the magistrate. If the
magistrate does not order the return, destruction, or forfeiture of
the weapon within the applicable period prescribed by this
subsection, the law enforcement agency holding the weapon may
request an order of destruction or forfeiture of the weapon from the
magistrate.

srothstein wrote:
yobdab wrote:The police would have to return your weapon after a Grand Jury failed to indict
Technical correction but no they do not. The grand jury no bill is not a get out of jail free card. The D.A. could decide to keep the case open and represent it to the next grand jury.

Here is the law on returning firearms to their owners:

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/do ... m#18.19.00
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

I would probably be hesitant to have a very high priced gun for primary carry use, but more from the standpoint of holster wear then fear of losing it after use.

Dave B.

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

Just look at all the people carrying Glocks...
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

hoss4570

Re: Opinions wanted: "Nice" gun vs. "Junk&quo

Post by hoss4570 »

Moonpie wrote:Had an interesting discussion with some fellow CHL guys yesterday.
We were blathering on about the qualities of SIG vs. Glock vs. S&W vs. Colt vs. Kimber vs. blah blah blah.
One was of the opinion that a CHL should carry a "throw down", "junk", or beater weapon. His reasoning was you WILL lose the weapon if involed in any kind of shooting(or stolen). The Police will confiscate your weapon and you'll never see it again line of thinking.
In his mind it didn't make sense to carry an expensive, valuble firearm. He was content to pack a beat up re-tread $100 pawn shop special. He, of course, had tested it and is very proficient with said weapon.
IMO it is an idea that has merit.

What say you?
Well, you do what you want but I ain't risking my life on a cheap gun. Cheap guns have their place, at the range but NOT for self defence. Get a good one to carry and protect yourself with. Just my hunble opinion....................:fire :fire
Life member N.R.A.
Take a kid shootin'
ALWAYS count your shots
PROUD C.H.L. holder

Photoman

Post by Photoman »

My life is worth more than a cheap pawn shop gun.

Another thing, your friend needs to consider the impression that cheap "Saturday Night Special" will make on the jury...

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

BrassMonkey wrote:What am I missing in this text?
What you were missing is that it is not when the grand jury no bills and that it is not the police decision. They cannot give it back until the magistrate orders it, and he does not have to order it until he decides there will be no prosecution.

As we have all seen in the past, a no bill by a grand jury does not mean that there will be no prosecution. The DA can try again with the next grand jury, or can tell the judge to keep the case active while his investigators work on it to get more evidence.

That was my point, that it is not automatic when the grand jury says no bill.
Steve Rothstein

Nazrat

Post by Nazrat »

Most people's watches and cell phones total more than the cost of their primary carry weapon. Do you worry about having to lose your cell phone if you have to call 911?

I just don't see the need of getting worked up about it. I don't want to be without my firearms for any length of time but I am not going to buy a cheap firearm just in case it is confiscated.

Anyone who follows this tactic should also drive a $1000 car so that they can afford to lose it when they have an accident. Any guess of whether the car scenario or the weapon scenario is more likely?

hoss4570

Post by hoss4570 »

Photoman wrote: consider the impression that cheap "Saturday Night Special" will make on the jury...
Yep, good point. :fire :fire
Life member N.R.A.
Take a kid shootin'
ALWAYS count your shots
PROUD C.H.L. holder

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”