Business owners protecting property from looters and rioters

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Business owners protecting property from looters and rioters

Post by mrvmax »

I saw an article where a car dealership had numerous cars torched and insurance would not cover it due to being from civil unrest. That’s a lot of money for a business to eat and I doubt any would survive.

I was talking with someone who’s friend owns a business in League Ciry. He said his friend told him he would not stop looters/rioters if they hit his business due to the chance of people suing him yet he admits insurance would not cover his losses due to being from civil unrest.

I do not see a reason why a business owner could not defend his property and business, using lethal force if necessary, and be within Texas law. Am I missing something?

Paladin

Re: Business owners protecting property from looters and rioters

Post by Paladin »

Kenosha car dealership sustained $1.5M in damage after first night of riots

Owner of burnt Kenosha car lot says riots caused $2.5M in damages
Khindri said he was hopeful at first the dealership's insurance provider would cover the damages. Instead, he said they entirely rejected the claim.

"They don't cover the riots. This is domestic terrorism, don't cover it," said Khindri. "I'm screwed. I'm bankrupt."
Texas law allows you to protect your property, especially at night.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

seph

Post by seph »

I would suggest to the car dealership to fight to rejection. His argument should/response should be since the local government is not calling it riots or domestic terrorism, it would have to be a simple case of vandelism. Peaceful protestors could not be terrorists.

WOW. I almost lost me breakfast typing that last line..
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

He could probably use deadly force if it were happening at night, under Texas law. ("Mischief in the night time...") But he would pay a price, besides $100,000 in legal fees. Lose the car dealership (who would work there???). The BLM/Antifa crowd would make him their pariah and he'd be looking over his shoulder 24/7. His family, as well. He may have bullets going through his house at night. Him and his wife would have to quit their jobs; it wouldn't be safe for them to travel to work any more, and their employers probably wouldn't want them in the building. Nor would his kids be safe in school. Molotovs thrown in his yard or on his car. And who knows.... CNN/MSNBC might even get in on the act and turn him into another Kyle Rittenhouse. He'd wake up every morning to a convoy of satellite trucks parked along his curb. Probably have to sell his house, change his identity and move to rural Kansas.

This country used to be such a wonderful place....
-Ruark

philip964

Post by philip964 »

seph wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:03 am I would suggest to the car dealership to fight to rejection. His argument should/response should be since the local government is not calling it riots or domestic terrorism, it would have to be a simple case of vandelism. Peaceful protestors could not be terrorists.

This is an awesome post.

Is my house not covered?

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

philip964 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:56 amIs my house not covered?
THAT is a VERY good question…
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

XDgal

Post by XDgal »

Every home and car insurance policy I've ever had has always had the exclusion clause that states "Acts of war and civil unrest are not covered". You have to read the whole policy.
XDgal

TomV

Post by TomV »

Rob72 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:50 pm
philip964 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:56 am
seph wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:03 am I would suggest to the car dealership to fight to rejection. His argument should/response should be since the local government is not calling it riots or domestic terrorism, it would have to be a simple case of vandelism. Peaceful protestors could not be terrorists.

This is an awesome post.

Is my house not covered?
To the first point, legally what the State/local gvt. terms the event is irrelevant, the event legally qualifies as a state of social disorder/domestic terrorism.

Philip, no, your home would most likely not be covered.
I think this is a better question for your insurance agent. My wife, who is a desk adjuster, would cover your claim.

The answer you get could easily differ from one insurance company to another.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

TomV wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:15 pm
Rob72 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:50 pm
philip964 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:56 am

This is an awesome post.

Is my house not covered?
To the first point, legally what the State/local gvt. terms the event is irrelevant, the event legally qualifies as a state of social disorder/domestic terrorism.

Philip, no, your home would most likely not be covered.
I think this is a better question for your insurance agent. My wife, who is a desk adjuster, would cover your claim.

The answer you get could easily differ from one insurance company to another.
Before we closed down our offices, I had umbrella coverage above my standard coverage that did cover riots and such. It was not that much to add it so I always did. As for my home owners, I honestly don't know if it is covered. Embarrassing to admit. I should probably check on that. Until this year, I am one of those that would laugh at the idea of civil unrest in the suburbs.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

In either situation laid out the owner doesn't win. If its me, control what you can and that is fight tooth and nail for what you built. If I'm going to lose, I'm going to lose on my terms.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

jason812 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:03 pm In either situation laid out the owner doesn't win. If its me, control what you can and that is fight tooth and nail for what you built. If I'm going to lose, I'm going to lose on my terms.
:iagree:

cirus

Post by cirus »

If it comes to that I'm gonna shoot until I run out of ammo or burn out a barrel. Then out comes the bayonet. :evil2:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:25 pm
jason812 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:03 pm In either situation laid out the owner doesn't win. If its me, control what you can and that is fight tooth and nail for what you built. If I'm going to lose, I'm going to lose on my terms.
I may not be standing in the end but I will not go down easy. I will protect what is mine.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”