Issue with shoot through screen

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Issue with shoot through screen

Post by Greybeard »

Having been busted several times by deer seeing even the slighest movement (or sound or smell) in my primary hunting blind, I decided to go ahead and locate some shoot-through screen for the large "archery" window on the west end. The end of the season is approaching and I have not taken a shot on a deer at all this season. There are 3 more windows overlooking a wheat field, that, if opened, will cause me to be "sillouetted" even worse through the big bow window. Therefore, I plan to break down and cover it with some camo fabric shoot-through screen - which I detest - it disrupts the view. Anyhoo, in using the Googlefoo to learn more about the possible impact on a bullet trajectory if shooting through the screen with a rifle or .357 pistol, I got into a hunting forum where one guy said. "Oh yes, it works. I set my blind on fire. But I got the deer!"
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Issue with shoot through screen

Post by Mike S »

Regarding the deviation in trajectory:
I believe there was an article about 10 years ago in a professional journal that asserted there was about a 1 MOA deviation when shooting a rifle thru a window screen. When we had our sniper students engaging targets thru screens & ringing steel targets between 200-600 meters it pretty much debunked that article.

I say that to highlight taking with a grain of salt anything read that hasn't been validated by others.

Regarding catching the camo netting on fire:
Perhaps that could be an issue, depending on how flame retardant (or flammable) the material is. If it's a commercially -made "shoot thru screen", I would imagine it's made to not catch fire from the muzzle blast. The .357 Mag handgun may have a bigger muzzle blast than a rifle, and I doubt I'd want to fire a muzzle loader thru it. Perhaps have a bucket of water or a fire extinguisher handy. :biggrinjester:

Topic author
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Mike S - The shot out the bow window should not be more than 30 yards - very doable with 6" 357. I do keep both ear plugs and muffs in the blind. Am thinking the best solution is to cut a slit or little opening in the screen - enough to get the muzzle outside, very slowly!
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

we used an academy sports pop up blind with pull down screens that really make it almost impossible to see inside from outside.
i would raise it just enough for the barrel to clear. we never had a hot brass issue, except 2nd trip we put a moving carpet on the deck, ( we were up on a steel truck bed) to catch the brass ping noise
second pic you can see how it looks from inside looking out through the screen, and yes i had it up then to get some air flow
before dinner bell rang on the feeder
Attachments
hog1a (11)shrink.jpg
hog1a shrink.jpg
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

powerboatr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:19 pm we used an academy sports pop up blind with pull down screens that really make it almost impossible to see inside from outside.
i would raise it just enough for the barrel to clear. we never had a hot brass issue, except 2nd trip we put a moving carpet on the deck, ( we were up on a steel truck bed) to catch the brass ping noise
second pic you can see how it looks from inside looking out through the screen, and yes i had it up then to get some air flow
That just cracks me up. Some old timer parked his truck in the woods and forgot where he left it for 50 years. Must have been drinking moonshine. :biggrinjester:

Me and a buddy once built two blinds out of square steal tubing. The base of the stands were 16 ft in the air. The top of the wood blinds we placed on them were at 21 ft. We could do about anything we wanted in those blinds and not be noticed for almost three years. But then we started noticing the deer would stand off in the brush and look up at the blind before coming out of the brush. It sounds weird but I swear we always thought they were figuring it out after three years of being blasted from them. As long as we stayed still while they looked, they would wait a few minutes and start meandering out of the brush. Any movement at all and they would slowly walk deeper into the brush and go around our blinds. They were at two completely separate locations and got the same reactions. We could munch on doritos and hot sauce in those blinds while shooting them before they figured us out.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:45 am
powerboatr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:19 pm we used an academy sports pop up blind with pull down screens that really make it almost impossible to see inside from outside.
That just cracks me up. Some old timer parked his truck in the woods and forgot where he left it for 50 years. Must have been drinking moonshine. :biggrinjester:

Me and a buddy once built two blinds out of square steal tubing. The base of the stands were 16 ft in the air. The top of the wood blinds we placed on them were at 21 ft. We could do about anything we wanted in those blinds and not be noticed for almost three years. But then we started noticing the deer would stand off in the brush and look up at the blind before coming out of the brush. It sounds weird but I swear we always thought they were figuring it out after three years of being blasted from them. As long as we stayed still while they looked, they would wait a few minutes and start meandering out of the brush. Any movement at all and they would slowly walk deeper into the brush and go around our blinds. They were at two completely separate locations and got the same reactions. We could munch on doritos and hot sauce in those blinds while shooting them before they figured us out.
yup i believe the original owner of the property parked that truck and walked away his son owns it now and he lives in little rock so he never comes down.
deer are smart, i bet they were looking for doritos :biggrinjester:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

Return to “Hunting Photos”