Here we go again......

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 25

Here we go again......

Post by flintknapper »

It never ends!

We just got rid of one sounder, now (a month later)….there is a new group.

This is just one area they have rooted up in the pasture (there are others):

I have managed to get this group baited into a “lane” between our property and the neighbor.

For now…there is no more damage to the pasture….but the destruction (so far)… is probably 3-4 acres in total.

Because of the confined area these hogs are in….I will not be able to “shoot out” this bunch. Time to assemble the hog trap I guess.

IH8HOGS!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

roberts
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Here we go again......

Post by roberts »

They really "flu" through that pasture.
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT DUCK HUNTING

CainA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CainA »

mmmmmmmmm.....bacon!!!!

-Cain

LaserTex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LaserTex »

Do you deliver?
If so, I'll take one... :drool:
Doug :txflag:
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

LaserTex wrote:Do you deliver?
If so, I'll take one... :drool:
Doug :txflag:
No delivery...but you are welcome to all you want. I don't eat them....but I do try make use of the resource by calling friends that might want them.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Hog trap is in place and baited out but NOT set. The hogs will need to get used to it for a few days...hopefully they will start going into it soon.

The doors are propped open so that the hogs can come and go freely.

As soon as I see activity inside the trap, I will move the game-camera over there to determine how many of the hogs are going inside. The little ones will be the first to go inside (they don't know any better).

Once the bigger hogs go inside and start rooting up the "bait hole", then I can set the trigger.

The hogs are bedding close by and are fairly comfortable coming into the lane right now. Hopefully, they won't be disturbed before I have a chance to trap them.

Ideally, a "teardrop" trap would be wider and longer...but the narrow confines of the "lane" just don't allow for it. As long as they don't feel too "crowded" they may go ahead and go inside.

Maybe I'll be rid of these "four legged fire ants" pretty soon.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

Love the Corn Arrow. :tiphat:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Skiprr wrote:Love the Corn Arrow.
+1 "rlol"
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

Very nice job on the trap build.

What are you using for the door there? Is that a boughten item or did you make/weld it yourself?
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

TheArmedFarmer wrote:Very nice job on the trap build.

What are you using for the door there? Is that a boughten item or did you make/weld it yourself?

Saloon door...made by this outfit:

Warning: There is one pic of a harvested hog (if you are sensitive to that kind of thing).
http://www.hawgtraps.com/content.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was easier for me to just buy the saloon type door rather than build one. I do weld...and made up some items to use as a triggering device...but this set up was just what I wanted and lets me take the door, place it where needed...and then set the 4"X4" panels in whatever shape I need (usually a teardrop...and usually bigger).

It just depends upon what the group of hogs looks like (mostly larger animals vs. lots of little ones) as to what type of trap I use/build.

Other times... it makes more sense to shoot them over a period of time, its always different. One thing is for certain though, once established...you will never be rid of them. I have been staying after them for about 25 yrs. now on the same piece of property. As you can see...I am not winning.

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

Very nice, thank you for the info and the link.

Thankfully we haven't dealt with a huge problem with hogs on our property, but we do occasionally see signs of them in the woods and I don't want them to get out of control. I've been thinking of a trap and that saloon door looks like it would be the perfect starting place.
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

This is what it looks like in the closed (tripped) position. It is spring loaded (see top of doors)…so other hogs can continue to push their way in…but the ones inside can not get out (unless they bypass a hog coming in).

It has been my experience that whatever you catch when the doors close…is what you will end up with…but a sow may to want to enter if her piglets/shoats are inside… or a boar might enter seeking an estrous sow. Anyway… the possibility of others to enter does exists.
Last edited by flintknapper on Fri May 15, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

flintknapper wrote:This is what it looks like in the closed (tripped) position. It is spring loaded (see top of doors)…so other hogs can continue to push their way in…but the ones inside can not get out (unless they bypass a hog coming in).

It has been my experience that whatever you catch when the doors close…is what you will end up with…but a sow may to want to enter if her piglets/shoats are inside… or a boar might enter seeking an estrous sow. Anyway… the possibility of others to enter does exists.
Kinda like a roach motel... 'Hogs check in, but they don't check out' LOL
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

CainA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CainA »

And here's the dumb question of the day.

What do you do with them once they're trapped?

-Cain

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I don't know about him, but typically people shoot them. some people sell them also, but new regulations make that more difficult and expensive to do so.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “Hunting Photos”