Spike Buck Story and Pics - Pittsburg, TX

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
kalipsocs
Posts in topic: 2

Spike Buck Story and Pics - Pittsburg, TX

Post by kalipsocs »

I'll give the shortest version of the story I can, but Im quite excited since this is my first buck, and as a first generation hunter no less. I have been trying very hard these past few years to get into some deer and dove hunting. The deer hunting situation presented itself in the form of my mother's cousin offering to take me hunting after I got back to the DFW area for the Christmas break. I jumped at the chance and went Dec. 19th to Pittsburg, TX. Once we got set-up and were talking logistics, he informed me that of the two available stands he showed me earlier that evening that one of them hasn't produced a deer for anyone but him in the last couple years. He also mentioned that after mating season these deer tended to go nocturnal so if I saw anything it would most likely be very dark or too dark. Against the odds, I decided to take the stand of little luck (because of the set-up) right before dusk.

Next was plenty of sitting in the cold trying to stay very still and listening to crackles and crunches which played plenty of tricks on my mind. We agreed to meet back up at dark. I was about 30 seconds away from packing up when 2 deer appeared from this high, dead grass (seemed like magic to me!). They were both young, the first having a small rack with about 6 points but not even close to legal. The other was a spike buck. I had the first one directly behind the spike for what seemed an eternity and then he moved far enough away from the spike for me to punch his ticket. Range was about 50-75 yards. Shot it with my Mossberg 100ATR in .270 Win and a Bushnell Banner 4-12x scope. POI was not what I had intended, but he didn't suffer which is what I care about most in a kill.

My grandfather on my mother's side was an avid hunter of all types, but he passed long before I was even a twinkle in the eye of my parents. So needless to say this made me excited as I earned it with little guidance from previous generation hunters. Steve (mom's cousin) did help a lot with the field cleaning and paper work though and I owe him many thanks for that as well as the hospitality! Steve got the hog which I posed next to for size comparison. I am 5'9" 200lbs, so you can tell that hog is a big boy! Whew...ok I'm done! Thanks for the read, and enjoy the pics.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Spike Buck Story and Pics - Pittsburg, TX

Post by Beiruty »

Good little buck. Maybe next time, got us a Trophy.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
kalipsocs
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kalipsocs »

Beiruty wrote:Good little buck. Maybe next time, got us a Trophy.
Believe me, I want the Trophy buck. But this time, I will take what nature gave me. This buck will will be a delicious though :mrgreen:

CDH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CDH »

Every first is a trophy to be proud of. Congrats! Hope ya get many more in the years to come!
No damage control is ever as good as prevention.

Return to “Hunting Photos”