Just picked up my first lever 30-30...

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Windknot_Flies
Posts in topic: 2

Just picked up my first lever 30-30...

Post by Windknot_Flies »

I figured this would be the place to ask some questions about my new/old rifle. Well, I recently acquired a Marlin 336 (this one made in 1971). Being more of a fisherman than a hunter, my questions will probably sound a bit "newbie" to the hunters on the board. Anyways, I'm planning on putting a low power scope on it without breaking the bank. I realize that it's a short range brush gun (and quite a few of ya'll will say to just stick with iron sights), however, I haven't got a clue what power/brand I should be looking for. I've looked at a bunch of suggestions online, but I'd like to hear some advice from you hunters out there. Any advice would be appreciated. :patriot:

Oh, and I plan to use it to help a friend "de-hog" his property.
Mailed 14 Dec 10...

NRA Member
TPWD Licensed Guide/USCG Cert.
US Army (Airborne/Air Assault) 89-05

LongHairedRedneck
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just picked up my first lever 30-30...

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

I would go with a variable power 3x-9x, as for not breaking the bank try Redfield scopes. They are good scopes for the money.
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Can't argue with Redfield or lower end Leupold glass for the 336. The 30/30 round has had some improvements with the addition of pointed bullets in ammunition designed specifically for tube magazined rifles. The old flat nosed bullets limited the range of 30/30's but that's no longer the case. Good luck!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I never felt the need to put a scope on my Marlin 30-30. I would stick with the iron sights.
Use the money to buy some more fishing gear or another gun. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

Depends. What types of ranges are we talking about here? Are you going to be sitting in a stand shooting out to 100yrds or are you going to be stalking and getting up close and personal? For longer ranges such as hunting out of a stand the 3-9x is the proper choice. For up close hunting I would seriously look into a 1-4x. Most of my pig hunts are up close chases so all I have is a cheap red dot which works in my circumstance.

Topic author
Windknot_Flies

Post by Windknot_Flies »

Thanks for all the advice. As far as ranges are concerned, I think the average would be 50-75 yards. My buddies property is pretty brushy and we've been able to get pretty close to the hogs. I'll check into those Redfield scopes ya'll mentioned as well. As far as saving my money (rather than spending it on a scope) to buy more fishing gear and/or another gun goes: the wife said if I get any more of the afore mentioned items she'd beat me. *she hasn't quite gotten the concept that one can never have too many fishing poles or firearms* ;-)

Anyways, I'll be heading to my local club to put some lead downrange. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet and have just been taking it out of the cabinet playing with the lever action. Anyways, thanks again and hopefully I'll have some freerange bacon pics to post soon. Tight Lines...

Harris
Mailed 14 Dec 10...

NRA Member
TPWD Licensed Guide/USCG Cert.
US Army (Airborne/Air Assault) 89-05

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

puma guy wrote:Can't argue with Redfield or lower end Leupold glass for the 336. The 30/30 round has had some improvements with the addition of pointed bullets in ammunition designed specifically for tube magazined rifles. The old flat nosed bullets limited the range of 30/30's but that's no longer the case. Good luck!
Redfield is now made by Leupold in the same factory. They have been very well received for the price point.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote:Can't argue with Redfield or lower end Leupold glass for the 336. The 30/30 round has had some improvements with the addition of pointed bullets in ammunition designed specifically for tube magazined rifles. The old flat nosed bullets limited the range of 30/30's but that's no longer the case. Good luck!
Redfield is now made by Leupold in the same factory. They have been very well received for the price point.
10-4 on that, I didn't think to mention that fact.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

rusty86

Post by rusty86 »

I also have a Marlin 30-30 and it's a great little brush gun. I had a 3-9 scope on it which I eventually took off. Not to discourage you, but I would agree that the iron sights are just as good at "short" distances with this thing. If I were to put a scope back on it, I would probably consider a 4x relatively cheap one (Redfield used to make a 4x that was high quality and good value - I'm assuming they still do).

Hog hunting with this thing is a pretty quick process and you don't have time to dial in with the scope. 4x is a good compromise for all the shots you'd want but more simple than a 3-9. Just my opinion, for what it's worth...

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

My 336 has an old Redwield wideview 1-6x ( I thin) which is "period correct" and sorta cool
My Win 94 has an adjustable peep sight on it. I think for your purposes you ought to try the peep first.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

40khammer

Post by 40khammer »

I put a Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff Riflescope on mine. It'll run about $150-$175.

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

Just me ... but putting a scope on a lever action 30-30 is like putting a big windscreen on a dirt-bike ... but then again I'm partial to keeping it pretty simple when it comes to motorcycles and rifles. Congrats on your new purchase.
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I agree with you, but my old eyes are arguin' with both of us... ;-)

Return to “Hunting Photos”