Now I'm concerned

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
canvasbck
Posts in topic: 4

Now I'm concerned

Post by canvasbck »

We have been on our lease near Junction for over 30 years and have never seen a hog on the place. That all ended Sunday evening when this bruiser showed up. While I'm glad I got to bag a big hog, I'm concerned that the hogs have now made it to our little piece of heaven.

Yes I'm wearing pajama bottoms and slippers. :lol:
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

speedsix
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Now I'm concerned

Post by speedsix »

...and the hog's somewhere wishin' you'd'a stood in bed!!! What'd he weigh and what did you shoot him with??? :thumbs2:

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

We estimate him around 250#

Shot with a 300WSM out of a Browning A bolt hunter about 140 yards, let TAM know it was a left handed bolt!

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Where abouts in Junction? We are off 371 towards Telegraph and have gotten 5 hogs since deer season started. We have been seeing more this year than ever before. Our best guess is the fire and drought have them moving closer to water (we have none but are close to a creek). We have also seen more and bigger bucks this year than in the past 17.

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

On further inspection, that's not a hog, its a black bear.......Hairy joker!!

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:Where abouts in Junction? We are off 371 towards Telegraph and have gotten 5 hogs since deer season started. We have been seeing more this year than ever before. Our best guess is the fire and drought have them moving closer to water (we have none but are close to a creek). We have also seen more and bigger bucks this year than in the past 17.
We are on FM1674 about 1/2 way between I-10 and Ft McKavitt. We're seeing the opposite as you on the deer, I haven't seen a single deer over 3-1/2 years old this year, including does. Were seeing good numbers but mature deer aren't coming anywhere near the feeders. The ground looks like it's covered in a carpet of green forbes.

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:On further inspection, that's not a hog, its a black bear.......Hairy joker!!
We believe him to be what's known as a "hippie swine" this one was headed to an occupy Junction rally. :biggrinjester:

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Don't feel bad about the piggies showing up where they haven't been before... 35 of 'em got loose from a pen in north Fort Worth over the weekend... Took 'em quite a while to capture / shoot all of em. TV didn't show any of 'em quite as large as yours, though. Thank goodness.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

strider67

Post by strider67 »

Feel fortunate you haven't had hogs...until now. Are y'all high-fence? I hunted San Saba for about 12 years (got off after '09 season) and those little, and big, suckers were everywhere! Hopefully they won't become a problem for y'all anytime in the foreseeable future.

BTW, nice shootin'!
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

let TAM know it was a left handed bolt!
That would explain the sandals....

:biggrinjester:

While I am happy for you in that you have more game to take, I sympathize with your plight due to those darn hogs. However, no hog is a match for any man with a .300 WSM IMO....even if it IS a lefty.

Best to you and yours.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Hogs are becoming a real problem, however the smaller ones are tasty and most people making venison sasage argment the sausage with pork, so taking a hog could save on your processing.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

LongHairedRedneck

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

We had a place in Medina that the hogs just showed up one year and took over(20+ Hogs coming to feeder) for about three years. After that it turned into a occasional sighting. At our current place in Leon Co. we've just accepeted that the hogs are here to stay and enjoy trapping/shooting them.
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

canvasbck wrote:We estimate him around 250#

Shot with a 300WSM out of a Browning A bolt hunter about 140 yards, let TAM know it was a left handed bolt!
Good man! Now, if we can just get right handed shooters to start using left handed rifles..... :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Hog patterns are not always what I expect. On the last lease I was on (Real County) there was little water, and predictably there were few hogs. However, we had a family place in Blanco for 20 years that was right on the Blanco River. And never had hogs except for one year when they showed up en masse. After declaring war and killing a slew of them, they got the hint and avoided our property.

The ongoing drought may have altered hog patterns statewide.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Texas Dan Mosby wrote:
let TAM know it was a left handed bolt!
That would explain the sandals....
You don't even know..... :mrgreen: I actually have a pair of the exact same sandals, and that's what I wear around the house. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Hunting Photos”