Buck #2 Tikka T3 Lite .308 Win

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
v-rog
Posts in topic: 6

Buck #2 Tikka T3 Lite .308 Win

Post by v-rog »

Got to go hunting with a buddy in San Angelo a couple of days ago. I shot the 8-point buck with my new Tikka T3 Lite .308 Win equipped with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 SF scope. The buck was about 130 yards away. The cartridge was composed of 45 grains of Varget, a Hornady .308 Win 165 gr SST bullet, Winchester brass and primer, and I seated the bullet @ 2.755"

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

RockingRook
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Buck #2 Tikka T3 Lite .308 Win

Post by RockingRook »

Nice buck!! I have 2 Tikkas a 7MM Remington mag and a 300 Winchester Short Mag.

In 2009 the 300 took down a really nice 5x5 Bull Elk just northwest of Craig, Colorado.

Here in Texas we have gotten a number of really nice bucks just north of Sabinal.

The Tikka is a fine rifle!!

Chuck :cheers2:
Born in Brooklyn, NY joined AF in '65 as a 2nd Lt. Went through Naval EOD School in 67. Spent
the next 8 years in and around South East Asia. I was stationed in Texas in '84. Retired from the AF in '85.
Remained in Texas, raised my 2 kids and here I stayed. I hope it Rains!!

Topic author
v-rog

Post by v-rog »

Thanks. I'm really impressed with the rifle so far. I also did some target shooting out to 460 yds and it performed fine. I'd love to eventually get an elk. Is that an ordiance disposal badge that you have pictured?
RockingRook wrote:Nice buck!! I have 2 Tikkas a 7MM Remington mag and a 300 Winchester Short Mag.

In 2009 the 300 took down a really nice 5x5 Bull Elk just northwest of Craig, Colorado.

Here in Texas we have gotten a number of really nice bucks just north of Sabinal.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

So, when we last saw one another, you were headed to the range to test that load after leaving my house. How did it perform for you at the range? Also, where did you go to shoot 460 yards? I would love to do that with the Remington I showed you.

Merry Christmas, by the way.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
v-rog

Post by v-rog »

I ended up zeroing it at my friend's property in San Angelo where I shot the deer. He has 82 acres and I used a range finder to set up a target at 460 yds. I used factory ammunition (Hornady Super Performance 165gr SST ammo, 2840 FPS) to hit the target. The BDC software is crap! To hit the target, I ended up using the bullet drop data on the ammo box.

I was really dissapointed with my hand loaded ammo (45gr Varget, Win primer, Win brass, Hornady 165 gr SST bullets seated at 2.755"). Shooting the factory ammo and the hand loaded ammo within 30 minutes of each other, the factory ammo only dropped 6" at 300 yds while the hand loaded ammo dropped 16" at 300 yds. :shock: I couldn't believe it. (I shot about 15 rounds of each and the results were all similar)

I guess I will go ahead and buy a chronograph so I can adjust my hand-loaded rounds to match the factory-loaded ammo FPS...May need to stuff more powder in the cartridge!

quote="The Annoyed Man"]So, when we last saw one another, you were headed to the range to test that load after leaving my house. How did it perform for you at the range? Also, where did you go to shoot 460 yards? I would love to do that with the Remington I showed you.

Merry Christmas, by the way.[/quote]

RockingRook
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RockingRook »

v-rog wrote:Thanks. I'm really impressed with the rifle so far. I also did some target shooting out to 460 yds and it performed fine. I'd love to eventually get an elk. Is that an ordiance disposal badge that you have pictured?
RockingRook wrote:Nice buck!! I have 2 Tikkas a 7MM Remington mag and a 300 Winchester Short Mag.

Yes, I was in EOD [Explosive Ordnance Disposal] in the Air Force. I spent 20 years and retired in 1985. Most of my EODing was in Southeast Asia in mid 60s
to mid 70s.

You will like the Tikka even though it is fairly light the recoil of the magnum loads are not bad. I bought my Tikkas in 2009 and paid
about $700 each with Leupold scopes. I think I got them at Bass Pro. They were running a sale and the rifles were about $450 each when I
got them. Mine have the synthetic stocks and are blue finished not stainless which I think were a bit more but they were out at the time
I was buying.

Born in Brooklyn, NY joined AF in '65 as a 2nd Lt. Went through Naval EOD School in 67. Spent
the next 8 years in and around South East Asia. I was stationed in Texas in '84. Retired from the AF in '85.
Remained in Texas, raised my 2 kids and here I stayed. I hope it Rains!!

Topic author
v-rog

Post by v-rog »

Thank you for your service. You got a great buy on the rifles. I paid about $500 OTD for mine. Paid about $260 for the scope.

RockingRook wrote:
v-rog wrote:Thanks. I'm really impressed with the rifle so far. I also did some target shooting out to 460 yds and it performed fine. I'd love to eventually get an elk. Is that an ordiance disposal badge that you have pictured?

Yes, I was in EOD [Explosive Ordnance Disposal] in the Air Force. I spent 20 years and retired in 1985. Most of my EODing was in Southeast Asia in mid 60s
to mid 70s.

You will like the Tikka even though it is fairly light the recoil of the magnum loads are not bad. I bought my Tikkas in 2009 and paid
about $700 each with Leupold scopes. I think I got them at Bass Pro. They were running a sale and the rifles were about $450 each when I
got them. Mine have the synthetic stocks and are blue finished not stainless which I think were a bit more but they were out at the time
I was buying.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

v-rog wrote:I ended up zeroing it at my friend's property in San Angelo where I shot the deer. He has 82 acres and I used a range finder to set up a target at 460 yds. I used factory ammunition (Hornady Super Performance 165gr SST ammo, 2840 FPS) to hit the target. The BDC software is crap! To hit the target, I ended up using the bullet drop data on the ammo box.

I was really dissapointed with my hand loaded ammo (45gr Varget, Win primer, Win brass, Hornady 165 gr SST bullets seated at 2.755"). Shooting the factory ammo and the hand loaded ammo within 30 minutes of each other, the factory ammo only dropped 6" at 300 yds while the hand loaded ammo dropped 16" at 300 yds. :shock: I couldn't believe it. (I shot about 15 rounds of each and the results were all similar)

I guess I will go ahead and buy a chronograph so I can adjust my hand-loaded rounds to match the factory-loaded ammo FPS...May need to stuff more powder in the cartridge!

quote="The Annoyed Man"]So, when we last saw one another, you were headed to the range to test that load after leaving my house. How did it perform for you at the range? Also, where did you go to shoot 460 yards? I would love to do that with the Remington I showed you.

[/quote]

I seldom but in to others loading unless asked but I use Varget & the Hornady 165 interlocked & their SST. I load 45.8gr of the Varget & would not think 46 would be at all over limit. All my manuals are packed since we are trying to move. For me, My 308 is my short range rifle. I have never stretched it over 300. That is a good powder. I think more of it than many do. My load is much better than factory in my M1A. Hope you get better results as you tinker w/ it.
Remember I am not a loading manual so approach any load w/ caution.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Rat-30

Post by Rat-30 »

Nice buck, and thank you for your Service!
All the best,

John

Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Member
Visit our website at: http://www.kfatx.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
v-rog

Post by v-rog »

Thank you.
Rat-30 wrote:Nice buck, and thank you for your Service!

Topic author
v-rog

Post by v-rog »

I'm getting an average of 2790 fps with 46.5 grains of Varget. I tested 46.0, 46.5, and 47.0 grains but my best accuracy is somewhere between 46.1 - 46.5 grains.
longtooth wrote:
v-rog wrote:I ended up zeroing it at my friend's property in San Angelo where I shot the deer. He has 82 acres and I used a range finder to set up a target at 460 yds. I used factory ammunition (Hornady Super Performance 165gr SST ammo, 2840 FPS) to hit the target. The BDC software is crap! To hit the target, I ended up using the bullet drop data on the ammo box.

I seldom but in to others loading unless asked but I use Varget & the Hornady 165 interlocked & their SST. I load 45.8gr of the Varget & would not think 46 would be at all over limit. All my manuals are packed since we are trying to move. For me, My 308 is my short range rifle. I have never stretched it over 300. That is a good powder. I think more of it than many do. My load is much better than factory in my M1A. Hope you get better results as you tinker w/ it.
Remember I am not a loading manual so approach any load w/ caution.[/quote]

Return to “Hunting Photos”