Hunter safety course?

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Hunter safety course?

Post by Divided Attention »

Have a friend who's son has been invited soon on a "private hunt". He needs a hunter's safety course, but it looks like all the ones she is finding locally (Tomball area) are done until next season. I haven't hunted in years, and this was not a requirement when I was a kid.

Anyone an instructor?? Know an instructor or how to get this accomplished? This is a single mom trying to help her son get a neat experience.

Thanks!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Thomas

Re: Hunter safety course?

Post by Thomas »

Academy Sport + Outdoors usually has one once a month. The Woodlands store has two classes in February.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pbwalker »

How old is the boy?

If he's in the age bracket where it is required, you can buy a one-time (meaning season) exemption. It costs $10 and is a one time shot.

ETA:
Do I qualify for a Hunter Education Deferral?

Any person 17 years of age or older who has not completed a hunter education program may defer completion for up to one year. A deferral may only be obtained once and is only valid until the end of the current license year. You must be accompanied while hunting if you you have a deferral. A person who has been convicted or has received deferred adjudication for violation of the mandatory hunter education requirement is prohibited from applying for a deferral. Take the course by August 31 of the current license year and receive a $5 discount. The new, one-time Hunter Education Deferral is scheduled to be available at license vendors and go into effect September 1, 2004 and will cost $10.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/faq/learnin ... /#deferral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by pbwalker on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

I believe as long as he is with a licensed hunter who has completed the course or exempt, he can get a one time deferral.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/hu ... ired.phtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Topic author
Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Divided Attention »

You guys are awesome! He is 14 - 15, I will pass along this wealth of information, thanks!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

If he is under 16 he doesn't need a waver or hunters ed. but must accompanied by a person 17 or older that has a valid Texas hunting license and has either passed the hunters education class or is exempt by being born before Sept. 2 1971.

Return to “Hunting Photos”