First Trip Dove Hunting

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

First Trip Dove Hunting

Post by SQLGeek »

I've been absent from the forum recently, mainly due to a really busy football season but I wanted to drop in and share my first dove hunting story.

I went a couple of weekends ago with my neighbor, a retired TDCJ lieutenant who took me as a guest to hunt on one of the prison lands. We got out there early and he took me a tour of the old farm. He used to have a house out there and knew the area like the back of his hand. As light started poking out, it was promising to be a good day with great weather. He let me use his 870 Wingmaster which he's had for years. We loaded up and started to walk the field towards one of his favorite areas.

The weather was great but the birds were few. We were hearing other shotguns off in the distance so we knew they were out there. After some sitting, waiting and stalking the few birds we saw in trees, we had some activity. Three flew right over head at a crossroads. One shot off to the right and escaped. Two others kept a straight course. My neighbor took the first shot and missed. He told me to take a shot, I drew a bead, squeezed the trigger and was amazed to see the dove dive sharply before spinning and falling to the ground. I had taken my first bird....first game of any kind actually.

We searched for a minute until I found it. The mouring dove was a tiny thing. I picked it up and felt the warm but lifeless body in my hands. I won't lie, it was a pretty interesting feeling. I suddenly felt an immense sense of reverence and respect for nature.

I took another dove about 45 minutes later. It flew up and landed in a tree right in front of us. I was hesitant but my neighbor told me to take it. I took my time, lined it up and squeezed the trigger. It was a dead center shot, sending feathers flying everywhere and it dropped directly to the ground. It wasn't in bad shape though for having taken a closer shot.

In all we bagged only three dove but it was an experience I won't forget. I think I'm hooked on this bird hunting thing, we'll see. I've shot clays before and rather enjoyed it but TAM is right, shooting a live bird is a whole 'nother ball game. I am now shotgun shopping. I have a Mossberg 500 and can get a barrel for that, but I'm thinking a semi-auto for clays and birds.

Lastly, I realized when I got home and after cleaning the birds, I forgot to take any pictures. :grumble
Psalm 91:2

Salty1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First Trip Dove Hunting

Post by Salty1 »

Sounds like a good day of hunting and congrats on your birds. One thing to think of about regarding semi's for hunting is locating the spent shells once they have ejected, finding them in tall grass can be a chore and take up valuable hunting time. Hunters need to pick up every shell, landowners do not want them left where they fall, especially if they have livestock. The old saying "leave the property in better shape than when you arrived" plays out here. A good double barrel works great for bird hunting, the options are unlimited as long as it is a side by side or over and under.... :tiphat:
Salty1

Topic author
SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

Thank you for the suggestions and etiquette lessons gentlemen. If it makes a difference, he had flown in and was still...not really roosted per se but I see what you mean. Now I'm a bit embarassed but more informed.
Psalm 91:2

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:I suddenly felt an immense sense of reverence and respect for nature.
Hunter's Melancholy, we call it. Pleasure and sadness are mixed together when you take an animal - particularly one majestic and beautiful, no matter how small.
I've had the same feeling. The birds I shot a few weeks ago were the first animals I've killed in several years. But it is surprising how much that feeling connects you to the animal, and to nature......and for me, to nature's God.

I think that is part of the addiction. I cannot watch dove fly by now without wanting to raise my arms up and follow them over an imaginary gold bead.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Post by 77346 »

Congrats, SQL Geek, on your first hunt!

I haven't gone hunting in over 25 years... finally I'm going deer and duck hunting next month. Already bringing a lot of memories back and I'm looking forward to it.
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

Return to “Hunting Photos”