Buck taken during Archery Season

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 2

Buck taken during Archery Season

Post by UpTheIrons »

It has been a stunningly awful beginning to the Archery Season so far. A strong front came in the night before opening day which brought rain and acorn-dropping winds. The deer stayed in the trees at "The Acorn Buffet" that whole weekend, and no one on our lease - or the neighboring ones - got any deer in 4 days of hunting. I saw 3 bucks and a doe that morning, but they were 150 yards away.

I tried again last week, and it looks like the acorns are about gone, because I got one doe and saw several more, but I was lucky to take this 8-point buck last Saturday afternoon at 5:30.

The stand I was in for this deer has been awful for me for several years during archery season, the tripod being so tall as to cause weird aiming geometry problems. I have shot over or under every animal until this buck and a smaller buck that morning.

This buck was 37 yards away and standing broadside. I aimed for 40 yards and almost shot over and still hit him a bit far back. Even so, I broke his back and severed the Inferior Vena Cava (or whatever you call that main artery that runs down the spine) and he expired in mere seconds. He had a 16.5" spread (which is decent for that part of Gillespie County), and has quite mature, thick beams. I'll probably do a European Mount and hang it in my study.

I was using my Dad's crossbow, which has been dead on, and brought down a doe a week ago. Perhaps the strong north wind pushed the bolt, because my morning shot was a bit to the right, too. I'm thinking of trading in my bow on a crossbow now, but I'm still conflicted since it is much easier and faster to "reload" my old compound bow.

Rifle season starts Saturday, so I'll be off to fill my last tags.

"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Buck taken during Archery Season

Post by Oldgringo »

Good job, Rev!

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

A reverse draw crossbow is up there on my want list. (After my gotta get list of Insulation, new tankless water heater[though I deviated and got an AMD65/AK-47 and Glock 26 and 2 satellite TV dishes and HD receivers for FTA Free To Air HD Satellite TV last week from the want list])
I have been researching reverse draw crossbows and one brand seems less likely to break than the other.

I also want a pistol crossbow.
I don't hunt, I just want 2 crossbows for open carry where *firearms* are prohibited to supplement my knives and pepper sprays... and for where 30.06 signs are posted, like at one medical Imaging office, to supplement my knives and pepper sprays and concealed AK-47 :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by UpTheIrons »

Thanks, Oldgringo! :tiphat:
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Nice buck, I'd be proud to hang him on my wall. I didn't get to make it out for archery only season but will be out Saturday morning rain or shine.....looks like rain.

FishInTx

Post by FishInTx »

Nice Buck and good hunting. It's been real slow in East Texas as well. My hunting area was flooded out opening weekend. The warm weather and plentiful supply of acorns have kept things slow. This past weekend was better. I saw quite a few does and yearlings and one shooter buck. He was out of range but maybe he'll slip up next week when I'm on vacation and the rut gets going.

I only hunt with a bow. I have a Martin compound bow but I'm thinking about going to a recurve or long bow. It's a challenge and a rush to get one in close.

Post by 77346 »

Nice buck! :tiphat:

I may get into archery next season... nice to have an early start...
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

lithium398

Post by lithium398 »

nice!!

Return to “Hunting Photos”