Dove season - whatcha got planned?

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

GlockDude26
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dove season - whatcha got planned?

Post by GlockDude26 »

Public hunting permit this year ill be at the Waller county unit
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cb1000rider »

I saw references to changing in Dove hunting laws, but couldn't find the specifics.. What changed?
Just curious...

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

AndyC wrote:Got all my gear ready and we'd planned to go out Monday, but my buddy Roger got himself a case of walking pneumonia. If he dies, at least I'll inherit his 1911s ;-)

We figured we'd give public lands a try for once as an experiment; never have shot those in Texas, so I got myself the Annual Public Hunting Permit, too ($48 - yikes).

What are you all planning?
I just got the H. license and PHP for $48. I plan to be on the public hunt on Sunday and Monday. PM me if you would like to gang on to go to the same hunting ground. :tiphat: :tiphat:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Shoot a few clays this afternoon with some friends as warmup session followed by some adult beverages and fried crappie. Tomorrow try out the 28 and 12 gauge on some birds.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

working sun/monday, but will get out next week. Just learned of a nearby lease that has a pretty good price. If not some friends land near george town.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

With no place to hunt my best bet is to wait and see if a guy in our Sunday School brings some bacon wrapped, jalapeno stuffed, grilled dove breasts for snacks! :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Reminds me I'm supposed to go get my license this weekend. A friend is inviting my son and me out for some dove-hunting sometime in the next couple of weeks. I've never tried public lands, but a guy I was talking to about it just a few days ago said that he's never had good luck on public land. The dove figure out real quick that they have urgent business elsewhere........like on someone's private property.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

What choke do you recommend for Dove?
Beiruty,

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Beiruty wrote:What choke do you recommend for Dove?
I didn't bother switching out chokes the last time I went dove hunting. I think I have Improved Cylinder on one barrel, and Skeet on the other. I honestly don't know much about chokes, other than their intended effect of spreading or closing the shot pattern. In fact, these are the same chokes that were already installed when I bought the gun. I was also using the same Federal FRL12 #7.5 birdshot load I shoot skeet with. (This is lead shot BTW, and I note that in their current online catalog, Federal no longer seems to be offering this. Instead, they're offering FRS12 with steel shot. I've only got a half case of this stuff left, so I'm going to have to go by Academy and see what they have as its equivalent if Federal is no longer making it.) Anyway, the chokes both seemed to work pretty well for dove hunting, and I didn't ever try to take any really long shots.

That was my first dove hunting experience, and now I'm hooked. Last night, my wife and I were out in Keller at the combined housewarming/birthday party for a friend from my worship band, and a group of us were sitting around his patio out back while he flipped the burgers, and it was just a nice albeit hot evening with a clear sky. And as the sun had gone down behind the house next door so we were in the shade, movement drew my eye, and it was a group of 3 or 4 dove flashing by, silhouetted by the setting sun. Without even thinking about it, I raised my empty hands and drew a bead, and smiled real big. The guy sitting across from me watched me, and I just said "Dove." He smiled too, knowingly. That was an excellent hamburger. Anyone ever notice that your food tastes better and your hearing and sight are sharper when you have one of those moments?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bulinm

Post by bulinm »

Beiruty wrote:What choke do you recommend for Dove?

I shoot Mod/Mod in my 20. It seems to work well for me.

Sometimes the birds even act like they know I'm shootin' at 'em.

Good luck everyone. Leave me a few birds for the end of the week.

Oh, I'll be hunting APH property this year, too.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Geez... I work nights and was sound asleep when it sounded like WWIII started...we live close to some fields. After I remembered it was dove season today I tried to go back to sleep. "rlol"

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

I have only eate one hunted animal my step-brother shot a rabbit. All I remember was having to be careful when I ate because of all the buck shot in the meat. So being doves are so small is it really worth the effort or is it just the nature of the beast?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

texanjoker wrote:Geez... I work nights and was sound asleep when it sounded like WWIII started...we live close to some fields. After I remembered it was dove season today I tried to go back to sleep. "rlol"

I came 45 mins after sun rise, at my arrival, there were like 10 hunters blazing like crazy. I lined up below the tree line, and I waited like 1hr or so, I saw, maybe like 1 dove or 2 so far and high that I did not bother.

So, not be bored, I started shooting shooting small birds, I dropped 6, lost 1. Then, after like 1hr or so, I noticed, that I lost the FastFire 3 battery cover and the battery. So, I packed up and headed home. Next time, I should be there 30 min before sunrise. I ordered a replacement parts.
Beiruty,

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

I went to the Waller unit and ended up with 4 but should've had 6 but it took a couple to get warmed up. I got there at 530 and there were 20 trucks there already.... I guess ill be waking up at 4 tomorrow morning
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

Return to “Hunting Photos”