Bit of vacation time out on the farm

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Iunnrais
Posts in topic: 2

Bit of vacation time out on the farm

Post by Iunnrais »

Back at the family farm for a few days. May be dove season, but the wild pigs are munching the peanut crop. So shotguns stay in the cases and out come the rifles. Caught a couple this morning while hunting with a buddy of mine. We were able to get in to about 75 yards before they decided we were up to no good. My buddy handed me his .308 and I misunderstood his intentions. I thought that he wanted me to take the shot with his rifle as my .45-70 was just wearing my spare red dot. He really just wanted me to take a look through the scope at the pigs.... Oops. It worked out. He put one of my reloads in the front shoulder of his pig and it exited through the rear hip. Bang-splat. DRT

My first shot(s) missed and I ended up scaring the group. I got this one on the run after they cleared the irrigation system. Not as good a shot as I would have liked. Bit far back but it did the job. She only made it about 10-15 ft from where she was hit. Did I mention the reason my rifle was wearing the spare optic was due to moving my scope rings to his rifle last night to replace the mount with pre-stripped screws that he had?

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Bit of vacation time out on the farm

Post by Abraham »

What's your estimate on the weight of that polka dot pig?

Topic author
Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

Just guessing..around 130-140ish. I'm hardly an expert but the pig is a bit rounder and longer in the body than my yellow lab. He's about 120.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

That's good eating size.

Good for you!

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I would like to go on a hog hunt. I would like to hunt on someones land that the hogs are destroying. I do not want to have to skin it. Either someone else can skin it or the coyotes can have a meal.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

carlson1,

At one point the hogs were destroying my yard. Now my fence keeps em out...

I killed two before the fence was installed and one was very good eating. There was something wrong with the other, so I didn't harvest him.

Now if you're averse to cleaning one as you may not be physically fit enough, (I know you've been under the weather) I understand, but if that's not the case, they're not any harder to clean than a deer.

And, wow they're good eating.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

It is my health. I could not hike or trail one. I need me a four wheeler. :thumbs2:

ddstuder
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ddstuder »

Abraham wrote:That's good eating size.

Good for you!
:iagree:

Perfect size for BBQ! :drool:
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Return to “Hunting Photos”