New To Hunting: A few questions

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Reds45ACP
Posts in topic: 1

New To Hunting: A few questions

Post by Reds45ACP »

I've decided to try my hand at hunting. I read another thread with a VERY similar situation: Grew up in Kalifornia (Glad to be away from there), did a bit of varmint hunting (jack rabbits on alfalfa farms) but never medium game. It was helpful but I have a few other questions.

I am interested in hunting whitetail deer. I'm not interested in "trophies" so I don't think I want to shoot bucks but I'm not sure how one goes about getting a license/permission for does if that is even needed. (Seriously, I am REALLY new to this).

I don't want to go with one of those sleep in a cushy cabin, turn on the feeder and the they come running operations. I'd like to do a bit of camping and I want to have to learn to deal with the deer after the kill as well. That is equally important as far as I'm concerned. I've made friends with a guy who has gone hunting tons and has the equipment to deal with the deer. He is having trouble finding a decent place for us to go. Any advice on where to look in the Central Texas area?
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Beiruty

Re: New To Hunting: A few questions

Post by Beiruty »

You need:
1) A $25 hunting license if you have been living in Texas for the last 6 months or have a valid TX driving license.
2) You either pay $0 and have a friend who has access to hunting ground, or
3) You pay $49 for a public land permit and you try your luck, or
4) You pay $$$ for hunting lease (share with other hunters) and may have a chance if the owner was feeding or had planted feeding plots, or
5) You pay $$$$ for fenced hunting, guided hunt, with feeders and elevated hunts and you hunt bred and fed large deers (Trophy size?).
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Beiruty wrote:1) A $25 hunting license if you have been living in Texas for the last 6 months or have a valid TX driving license.
If you were born after 1973, you have to take a hunter safety course and provide proof of it before you can get the license. You can, ONE TIME ONLY, get a 1 year deferral on the hunter safety course (my son just did this so he could go dove hunting with me a couple of weeks ago) and get your license now. The deferral costs an additional $10. If you take the deferral, you will NOT be able to buy a license for next year until you can show proof of having taken a hunter safety course.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Beiruty wrote:1) A $25 hunting license if you have been living in Texas for the last 6 months or have a valid TX driving license.
If you were born after 1973, you have to take a hunter safety course and provide proof of it before you can get the license. You can, ONE TIME ONLY, get a 1 year deferral on the hunter safety course (my son just did this so he could go dove hunting with me a couple of weeks ago) and get your license now. The deferral costs an additional $10. If you take the deferral, you will NOT be able to buy a license for next year until you can show proof of having taken a hunter safety course.
Tam I thought it was born prior to 9/2/71. when did it change?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

cheezit wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
I made a typo. :oops: You're right....it is 9/2/71.

But if you are born prior, no safety course is required. The course is required for those born after.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

There is also a completely online Hunter's Ed now. You can find the links to the two providers on the TPWD website.

Moby

Post by Moby »

I'm in the exact same boat! I even moved here from California before they build the fence keeping people in.
I'm learning to hunt.
Learning to clean and process deer.
And want to can what I kill for future use.

I also want to learn to HUNT rather than harvest.
But I do plan to do both. I will use the feeders and blinds.
That's not really hunting in my view. It's harvesting. Which by the way NEEDS to be done.
This will fill my freezer with meat. In the county I'll be hunting in i can take four deer.
I want two from harvesting, and two from longer range shooting away from the feeders.

Some think feeders are ambushing. But so is waiting by a water source or animal trail.
In my view all hunting is ambushing. Unless you chase the deer down with a knife.
I'm very excited about making awesome meals from deer meat. Wild hogs are on the list too!
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
cheezit wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
I made a typo. :oops: You're right....it is 9/2/71.

But if you are born prior, no safety course is required. The course is required for those born after.
Sorry, you're both wrong about the dates. If you were born ON or after 9/2/71 the Hunter Safety Course or the deferral is required. Also must be accompanied per regs. He'd a cut and paste from TPWD site.

Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete a Hunter Education Training Course. Minimum age of certification is 9 years of age.

If you were born on or after September 2, 1971 and you are:

under 9 years of age, you must be accompanied*.
age 9 through 16, you must successfully complete a hunter education course, or you must be accompanied*.
age 17 and over, you must successfully complete a hunter education course; or purchase a “Hunter Education Deferral” and you must be accompanied*.

Please note that some federally controlled areas require all hunters using that site to have hunter education certification. In Texas, this includes Corps of Engineers property and most military reservations. Be sure to check with the specific area prior to going hunting.

Hunter Education Deferral (cost: $10) Allows a person 17 years of age or older who has not completed a hunter education program to defer completion for up to one year. A deferral may only be obtained once and is only valid until the end of the current license year. A person who has been convicted or has received deferred adjudication for violation of the mandatory hunter education requirement is prohibited from applying for a deferral. Take the course by August 31 of the current license year and receive a $5 discount. The one-time Hunter Education Deferral is available at license vendors and went into effect September 1, 2004.

* Accompanied means: By a person who is at least 17, who is licensed to hunt in Texas, who has passed hunter education or is exempt (born before Sept. 2, 1971), and you must be within normal voice control. Proof of certification or deferral is required to be on your person while hunting. Note: Certification is not required to purchase a hunting license.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Beiruty wrote:You need:
1) A $25 hunting license if you have been living in Texas for the last 6 months or have a valid TX driving license.
2) You either pay $0 and have a friend who has access to hunting ground, or
3) You pay $49 for a public land permit and you try your luck, or
4) You pay $$$ for hunting lease (share with other hunters) and may have a chance if the owner was feeding or had planted feeding plots, or
5) You pay $$$$ for fenced hunting, guided hunt, with feeders and elevated hunts and you hunt bred and fed large deers (Trophy size?).
Beiruty, Great list. I also think there are hunts on military reservations if Reds is or knows any one in the service.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

dleiwig

Post by dleiwig »

I'd also recommend visiting some local feed stores. Sometimes they know of landowners looking to either lease hunting land or that have day hunts available. I've also had friends that met land owners who offered them free hunting for does just to keep the population down. I never got an offer like that...I'm not that lucky! I've also traded work on a ranch for the chance to do a little hunting, but that depends on what you're willing to do.

If you need help finding a hunting lease, there are websites that list property for lease by location. The sites usually charge a fee and require membership. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you good luck! I also got into hunting late and have loved it from day one! Deer are tasty little critters :drool: , and you'll have a blast (a little pun intended) doing it. Keep us posted on what you find out on a place to hunt, and pictures wouldn't suck either! "rlol" Best of luck!
ARMED INFIDEL
Glock 23
Para 1911
M&P 9c
CHL since March 2008

marktx

Post by marktx »

TPWD site will list counties and what and how many deer you may take and the seasons.

TEA

Post by TEA »

As others have stated, the biggest challenge to hunting in Texas is finding a place to hunt. Texas has a relatively small amount of public land available to hunting and deer leases can be expensive. You can buy a separate public lands permit in addition to the regular hunting permit that will allow you to hunt on public lands and TPWD will then give you a map of the public lands available to hunt and the restrictions (times, dates, type of weapon, etc) for each parcel of public land. If you opt to hunt in one of the National Forests, you will find that you are not alone and will likely see more hunters than deer on in given hunt, especially if you opt for the Sam Houston National Forest. Still, for getting started hunting and learning the ropes, hunting on public land can be a good affordable way to start.

Dleiwig's advice about feed stores seem promising, especially if you want to try your hand at hog hunting. Since hogs are a nuisance animal, some farmers will let you hog hunt on their land for free.

Since deer hunting is much more popular, unless you have a friend who has land or access to a relative's land to hunt on, expect to pay quite a bit for a lease.

Return to “Hunting Photos”