First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
trashysquid
Posts in topic: 7

First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Post by trashysquid »

And I was fortunate enough to be able to harvest this fine buck!!

I couldn't believe my luck...we got out to the blind, and within an hour I saw three small does and this buck. He just moseyed on out like he owned the place (he probably did), and since it was early in the season he wasn't looking for cover. Used my own handloads too, so that was an extra measure of satisfaction. He was 93 pounds dressed...about right for South Texas deer. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Hunting to all!

Weg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Post by Weg »

Nice buck!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Is that an entrance or exit wound? Did you hit him at slightly upward angle from the left side, or slightly downward from the right side? Caliber?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
trashysquid

Post by trashysquid »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Is that an entrance or exit wound? Did you hit him at slightly upward angle from the left side, or slightly downward from the right side? Caliber?
That's an exit wound...shooting downwards from the blind striking him on the right side, lower shoulder, about 100 yards away. Caliber is .270 WIN, using Hornady SSTs over IMR4064. I thought I missed him because I saw the bullet hit the dirt behind him, but he expired about 30 feet from impact.

Topic author
trashysquid

Post by trashysquid »

Weg wrote:Nice buck!
Thank you, sir!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

trashy squid wrote:....he expired about 30 feet from impact.
That's about as close to DRT as you can get without yanking the rug right out from under him. Well done. He looks good and healthy. I'll bet he'll be a tasty son of a gun too.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Very nice. Mount him and enjoy the meat.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
trashysquid

Post by trashysquid »

Beiruty wrote:Very nice. Mount him and enjoy the meat.

Way ahead of you! Mount should be ready in about 5 months. And the pan sausage, salami and snack sticks are fantastic!

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Great job
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

TomV

Post by TomV »

Well done. Congrats! :cheers2:
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Proud for ya ! Nice one !

Topic author
trashysquid

Post by trashysquid »

Thanks to all for the kind comments! I'm really stoked!!

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

I took my wife hunting for the first time. I showed her the basics, and then took her to her spot which was about 400 yards from me. I had no sooner had gotten to my spot than I heard her shoot. Unable to believe she had already seen something so fast I began walking back toward her. From a distance I could see a horse laying on the ground with a saddle on it. My wife had her rifle pointed toward a man who was next to her on his knees. As I got closer I could hear him saying "Yes, mam...yes, mam...that's your deer. If you'll just let me get my saddle off of him you can have him!"

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Countryside wrote:I took my wife hunting for the first time. I showed her the basics, and then took her to her spot which was about 400 yards from me. I had no sooner had gotten to my spot than I heard her shoot. Unable to believe she had already seen something so fast I began walking back toward her. From a distance I could see a horse laying on the ground with a saddle on it. My wife had her rifle pointed toward a man who was next to her on his knees. As I got closer I could hear him saying "Yes, mam...yes, mam...that's your deer. If you'll just let me get my saddle off of him you can have him!"
You writing stories like that is possibly why you need to have your wife 400 yards away from you when she has a rifle.

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

MeMelYup wrote:
Countryside wrote:I took my wife hunting for the first time. I showed her the basics, and then took her to her spot which was about 400 yards from me. I had no sooner had gotten to my spot than I heard her shoot. Unable to believe she had already seen something so fast I began walking back toward her. From a distance I could see a horse laying on the ground with a saddle on it. My wife had her rifle pointed toward a man who was next to her on his knees. As I got closer I could hear him saying "Yes, mam...yes, mam...that's your deer. If you'll just let me get my saddle off of him you can have him!"
You writing stories like that is possibly why you need to have your wife 400 yards away from you when she has a rifle.
:lol: ;-)

Return to “Hunting Photos”