Planning has started for this year's event

Announcements, questions and comments about this year's event!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Planning has started for this year's event

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

kappatiff wrote:Thanks for the info! :)

One more q: Is there a website with all the information on it? Ideally I'm looking for a flyer or something online so I can send to my neighbors ... maybe something with times, class options, activities, etc? I understand things are probably still being planned, but there are a few folks in our neighborhood that just might be interested in driving down.

Thanks guys! I'm loving this ...

-Tiffany
Hi Tiffany:
I'm working on a schedule to publish now. I hope to have it on http://www.TexasShooting.com and probably http://www.pscIDPA.com in the next week or two. I had hoped to have it set up to register on-line, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I can tell you what seminars and shooting clinics are definitely going to be on the schedule and there likely will be a few more, especially seminars.

The following are set:
Shooting Clinics
1. Basic Skills (proper grip, trigger control, sight alignment/picture) [Instructor TBA]
2. Basic Drawing & Reloading [Instructor TBA]
3. Moving Targets, Moving Shooters [Instructor TBA]
4. Close Quarter Battle [Instructor TBA]
4. Defensive Shotgun[Instructor Gregg Garrett]
5. IDPA Basics [Instructor Steve Vandermolen]
6. Ladies-Only Shooting Clinic [Instructor Donna Vandermolen]

Seminars
1. Awareness [Speaker Steve Vandermolen]
2. Ladies Issues [Speaker Donna Vandermolen]
3. Christians & Self-Defense [Speaker Marc Gentine]
4. TABC Laws & Procedures [Speaker Stephen Rothstein]
5. You Be the Judge (Video what-if scenarios) [This one is VERY tentative]
6. CHL Fashion Show (Demonstrations of concealed-carry methods and equipment)
7. Gun Cleaning & Maintenance [Speaker TBA]
8. Training Opportunities (discussion of courses, schools & instructors available locally and nationwide) [Speaker Charles Cotton]

All Day Events
1. Texas Stars (two)
2. Find the Gun for You [formerly Battlefield Pick-up] (Various handguns available for shooting)
3. Plate Rack
4. Mini-Clinics (for individual or small group instruction)

The fee has not been set. Last year was the first year we charged anything and the fee ($15) was intended to cover lunch ($9) and the PSC non-member fee ($6). We were not going to arrange lunch this year and let people do that on their own. This would let us drop the fee to $6 for non-members and no fee for PSC members. However, too many people didn't like the idea of not having lunch available, so we haven't decided what to do. I would like to get the Bun-Stuffers back this year so we don't have to deal with catering and people can simply buy what they want. This also lets us go back to no fee for PSC members and $6 for non-members. The only problem is that we need a pretty accurate attendance number to give the Bun-Stuffers, otherwise they buy too little or too much food.

I'm not bragging on myself because I'm only a very small part of this event, but the annual TexasCHLforum Day at PSC gets better every year. We have a dedicated crew of instructors and speakers who donate their time and expertise in a combined effort to offer a unique opportunity to learn and have a great time. We also have a great group of folks who work hard to build necessary props, equipment and to set up and tear down the range for this event.

Many of the people on the crew are veterans of the six Texas State IDPA Championships we ran at PSC Shooting Club from 2001 through 2006. Many others joined the TexasCHLforum Day at PSC crew because they believe in goals of the event. To a person, everyone has said the participants make all of the hard work worthwhile. Not only is the event unique, the appreciation expressed by the people who come to the TexasCHLforum Day at PSC every year is also rare. Let's face it, it's a lot more fun working your tail off for people who appreciate your efforts!

This is really starting to sound like a sales pitch, so I guess I'll use it on http://www.TexasShooting.com. :lol:

Chas.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

Please add me in, two people. Not interested in lunch (since I live 3 miles from the range).

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Skiprr »

Charles absolutely needs to brag once in a while. See my recent comments here: http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 7&start=56.

The event really is worth the trip from DFW.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

lunchbox
Posts in topic: 4

Post by lunchbox »

i will be there
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

kappatiff
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kappatiff »

Thanks Charles! That's quite helpful. :) I'm really hoping we can make it down ... I teach high school (ugh) but it sounds like it's totally worth taking a personal day on Friday to make the drive. :) Even if it wasn't, I'd welcome the distraction. :coolgleamA:
{The best defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun}

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I didn't have my schedule with me when I posted this years activities, so my seminar and shooting clinic was done from memory. At my age, that's dangerous and of course I left out at least one shooting clinic and the Friday evening gathering. Donna Vandermolen will be teaching a Ladies-Only Shooting clinic and we will have some some social gathering Friday evening during the registration period.

Chas.

big 54r

Post by big 54r »

I'm a noobie here but count me in for at least 4, more if I can get the kid's to slow down and come learn with me and the misses! My brother n law and his wife are in also.

thanx for offering a great service.

I will post if anything changes, but only a hurricane would seem to change my plans.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I'm in for 2.
Last edited by KC5AV on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA lifetime member

drw

Post by drw »

I only recently learned about this event. Would it be acceptable to bring children, aged 3 through 9? They are extremely well behaved (everyone who meets them goes on and on about their good manners).

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

I am once again going to have to live vicariously through you folks fortunate enough to attend. If it was just one week later then it wouldn't interfere with fiscal year end and our busiest time of the year. :grumble From all that that I have heard, I would definitely suggest finding a way to get there if possible.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

rgoldy

Post by rgoldy »

Two seats for me please. Looking forward to it.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

MTICop

Post by MTICop »

I plan on being there. I had a lot of fun last year at my first visit to this event and plan on coming back. Count me in as 1 for now. If anything changes I will let you know. Also, I don't care one way or the other about the lunch thing. I personally don't think $15 dollars was too much to pay for the event but I can bring a lunch as well.
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

para driver

Post by para driver »

let me see what can be arranged... might see if we can get the group down from Plano/Richardson.

NEED DATE??????

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

para driver wrote:let me see what can be arranged... might see if we can get the group down from Plano/Richardson.

NEED DATE??????
Saturday, Sept. 27th. We will have some type of "social" event and early sign-in on Friday, Sept. 26, but it's not mandatory to attend it.

Chas.

neal6325

Post by neal6325 »

Is there a registration process other than posting on the board?

Is the event full?
CHL Instructor, Member NRA (Life), TSRA, GOA, IDPA, FFL holder, Veteran (USN) and of course a proud TEXAS native.

Return to “TexasCHLforum Day at PSC 2008”