Program for young people?

Announcements, questions and comments about this year's event!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Program for young people?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Two years ago, we developed a shooting clinic designed for young people with little or no shooting experience. Not one person registered. :shock: So we didn't offer it last year.

If there is sufficient interest, we'll put it back in the line up this year. It's not an Eddie Eagle program for kids too young to learn to shoot; it's a program for shooting age kids who want to get into shooting. So if you would like to bring some kids that fall into this category, please post something on this thread.

Thanks,
Chas.

GlockenHammer

Re: Program for young people?

Post by GlockenHammer »

Tough call. My personal opinion is that young children should learn to shoot from their parents. Not only is this a potential bonding experience and the beginning of a new dimention of their relationship, this is a very important time to establish firm rules and expectations that vary from parent to parent. It also helps that the parents are in the best position to understand what the child is ready for and what they aren't and how to overcome learning obstacles. Lastly, the parent needs to continue to reinforce the rules learned at the first session in order to be effective.

That said, if there are parents that do not feel up to this and would prefer someone else provide the introduction to shooting for their children, I would volunteer to help. I started my kids when they were about 6 or 7 and they seem to be doing okay, but we'd talked about guns for a long time before we ever got to the range. If we do this, I'd strongly recommend that parents stay in the bay and observe so that they can continue the education on their own.

Another thing we could do is to provide "supervised shooting" for kids that is geared more towards allowing Mom and Dad to attend a seminar or class that the kids would not enjoy. Naturally, this would involve judging the ability of the kids, rinforcing safety and practicing it with live fire (borrowed .22s) or with airsoft (I can loan some equipment). This will get some "training", but will be disguised as a lot more fun and perhaps less scary for the kids and parents than a shooting clinic. Think of it as the ultimate babysitter. :thumbs2:

Zero_G

Post by Zero_G »

What ages are you gearing the class for? My kids are older (13 - 19) and I know my daughter would be interested, and I'm limited at home since she can't handle my .40 Glock or 12 g shotgun.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Makes me wish that I had some young kids. It sure sounds like a lot of fun.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “TexasCHLforum Day at PSC 2008”