Rescheduling TexasCHLforum Day at PSC

Announcements, questions and comments about this year's event!

Moderator: carlson1

Would you rather see the annual TexasCHLforum Day at PSC in April or September?

April
49%
September
26%
Either month is fine
25%

Total votes: 72

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Rescheduling TexasCHLforum Day at PSC

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

We are trying to decide when to reschedule the TexasCHLforum Day at PSC that was postponed due to Hurricane Ike. The problem we are facing is the prospect of having two forum days in one year; we simply can't do two only 5 or 6 months apart. So the month we choose for the next event is going to become the month for this annual event.

We can keep the event in September or we can schedule it in April. Regardless of the month chosen, it will be on the 4th Saturday, the regular match day for the PSC-IDPA monthly match.

If you plan to attend, or are considering attending, please vote in this poll.

Thanks,
Chas.

MoJo

Re: Rescheduling TexasCHLforum Day at PSC

Post by MoJo »

April would be good. The weather isn't as hot as in September and there are fewer conflicting events in the Spring.

Also, no hurricanes! :thumbs2:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

MoJo wrote:April would be good. The weather isn't as hot as in September and there are fewer conflicting events in the Spring. Also, no hurricanes! :thumbs2:
:iagree: I would go to either, but I prefer April.
Last edited by WildBill on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

I voted for September. The 2009 Polite Society conference is April 25-26 at USSA.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

I chose April. I think we learned that moving it out of hurricane season ain't such a bad idea, as MoJo mentioned. And having it in late April would give us a "tax relief" day to have fun and trigger-time with friends. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

tomc

Post by tomc »

Either month is fine as long as the weather is OK. Which month usually has the best weather and would offer the least chance of being rained out? That's the month I would pick.
Tom
be safe,
be prepared,
tomc

big 54r

Post by big 54r »

I choose April so that the hurricane season doesn't impact the classes again.

On the plus side it is much cooler in April than September, although it may be a wetter season with the showers.

I'll attend either, since last year was canceled I just want to get my 1st time attending in as fast as possible so I may be a bit anxious... :lol: :mrgreen: ;-)

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

As much as I'd like the cooler temperatures of April...the weather that time of year lends itself to wind, rain, and wild temperature swings.

You are as likely to have a windy/stormy day as you are a bluebird day.

September traditionally is a dry month (and hot). But the weather is pretty stable and daylight hours are longer...allowing for more pre/post event activities and clean up. Also, I suspect more people would be able to "swing" a weekend off that time of year than in April...as the Summer months are most often used for vacation time.

Actually, I just want it to be 72 deg. F the entire month of September, but we all know "that ain't happening", (not outside anyway). ;-)

Just my .02
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

flintknapper wrote:As much as I'd like the cooler temperatures of April...the weather that time of year lends itself to wind, rain, and wild temperature swings.

You are as likely to have a windy/stormy day as you are a bluebird day.

September traditionally is a dry month (and hot). But the weather is pretty stable and daylight hours are longer...allowing for more pre/post event activities and clean up. Also, I suspect more people would be able to "swing" a weekend off that time of year than in April...as the Summer months are most often used for vacation time.

Actually, I just want it to be 72 deg. F the entire month of September, but we all know "that ain't happening", (not outside anyway). ;-)

Just my .02
I already voted but I agree with Flint about the weather. Hurricanes should be a non issue.. They just aren't that likely on a particular weekend
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Liberty is right: a hurricane just isn't very likely on a given weekend. Thank goodness for that!

But your best odds of seeing a hurricane or tropical storm are during the month of September. In that respect, Hurricane Ike hit at almost the exact peak of probability:

I knew about the tropical storm odds from research I did while anxiously watching Ike. But I learned some stuff this morning from Weather.com:

Monthly Average High and Low Temperatures for Greater Houston:

Makes us look more mild than I would have guessed. And I would have pegged August as the hottest month, not July. Go figure.

Monthly Average Percipitation for Greater Houston:

I wonder how much Tropical Storm Allison skewed the June averages?

Monthly Average Wind Speed for Greater Houston:

Kite flying is definitely a March-April thing.

Now, if were to move the event to San Diego, I'd bet I could do a pretty fair job of picking out a weekend with a great chance of mild temps, low humidity, and no rain. :mrgreen:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Skiprr wrote:Liberty is right: a hurricane just isn't very likely on a given weekend. Thank goodness for that!

But your best odds of seeing a hurricane or tropical storm are during the month of September. In that respect, Hurricane Ike hit at almost the exact peak of probability:

I knew about the tropical storm odds from research I did while anxiously watching Ike. But I learned some stuff this morning from Weather.com:

Monthly Average High and Low Temperatures for Greater Houston:

Makes us look more mild than I would have guessed. And I would have pegged August as the hottest month, not July. Go figure.

Monthly Average Percipitation for Greater Houston:

I wonder how much Tropical Storm Allison skewed the June averages?

Monthly Average Wind Speed for Greater Houston:

Kite flying is definitely a March-April thing.

Now, if were to move the event to San Diego, I'd bet I could do a pretty fair job of picking out a weekend with a great chance of mild temps, low humidity, and no rain. :mrgreen:

True, but that does not speak to the odds of a particular hurricane hitting Texas, let alone Houston.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

flintknapper wrote:True, but that does not speak to the odds of a particular hurricane hitting Texas, let alone Houston.
Yep; never said it did. But our own, actual history with TexasCHLForum day in September is only a 3-of-4 proposition.

The odds of a particular hurricane hitting anywhere are going to be driven by the climatological conditions at play during that particular storm. But we ain't sittin' pretty when you dig deeper into the overall, annualized probabilities from the past 98 years of data. About the only areas of the country that tie us in the overall probability of exceeding a Cat 1 storm in any given year in long-range projections (Journal of Applied Meteorology; "A Dynamic Probability Model of Hurricane Winds in Coastal Counties of the United States") is the southern tip of Florida and the eastern edge of North Carolina:

And given the overwhelming propensity for September storms compared to other months, I'm willin' to bet that the Harris-Galveston-Brazoria region will see a September tropical weather event again within the next four years.

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

So, is this going on in April?

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I voted April as well.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The State Legislature is in session and will still be in session in April.
April would be a tough time to organize this thing. I wouldn't think there is enough time to organize and plan it even if the legislature wasn't meeting..
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “TexasCHLforum Day at PSC 2008”