Fundamental Defense - After Action Report

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ske1eter
Posts in topic: 2

Fundamental Defense - After Action Report

Post by ske1eter »

A co-worker and I attended the Defensive Focus Shooting course with Aaron Israel of http://www.FundamentalDefense.com in Cresson, TX, on the weekend of May 7 and 8. This course is based on the curriculum by Rob Pincus of I.C.E. training. There were a total of 5 students in the class so we had plenty of one-on-one time.

The course is set up take a new shooter from beginning gun owner to being able to move off the line of attack, stop, draw and make effective shots. The focus on this training, as understood by anyone who has seen Rob Pincus onscreen, is a balance between speed and precision. This means that one needs to deliver effective shots in the quickest time possible yet not being so slow so as to be "too precise" in shot placement nor so fast that shots miss their intended target.

Class started with a brief safety discussion and a talk about the need for medical training if one carries a gun as you're more likely to need the med kit than the gun. Drills started at 3 yds. with shots into an area used to simulate the size of the upper chest area. 'Up' was the command used to engage the target throughout the entire class. Proper grip was then evaluated after a few shots so that Aaron could get a feel for the students' abilities. After the first sequences of shooting, shots were directed at various numbered and colored dots around the periphery of the target. Lastly, two boxes at the bottom of the target labelled A and B were used. I don't recall if we extended the range yet or not.

Next up was instruction on properly drawing from the holster. Emphasis was given on getting the proper grip while the gun was in the holster. The negates the need to adjust the gun while being presented to the target. We then proceeding with the mechanics of the draw; grip, extract, rotate, hands meet in front of the chest then pushing out to the target. From there the trigger was touched, then pressed to fire the shot.
Through the rest of the morning we worked these drills from 3 to 7 to 15 yards. Added during this time was an explanation on the incorporation of the startle response. Anyone who might have seen any of Pincus' videos will recognize this action. While I have been suspect of this "faked" behavior while reacting to a command to engage the target, it was fairly easy to incorporate the startle response especially when the target was at close range if you forced yourself to seriously consider the target as an actual threat. As the distances increased, the reaction wasn't quite as natural as one doesn't react the same way to a noise 25 ft. away as one does to a noise right behind your head.

Lateral movement was next incorporated into the process. Basically, get off the X! The more aggressive the better. This included lateral movement on a needed reload. Speaking of reloading, emphasis was placed on performing the reload close to the body yet *not* up in front of the face. This way ones eyes are not taken off of the threat. Surprisingly, this becase very natural and looking at the gun wasn't needed to get the gun back in action. Sure it took a good part of the day for me to get in that groove as i was used to reloading with the gun out in front of me but I was very happy with this gained skill.

The volume of fire drill was used to evaluate whether one was shooting too slow or too fast. The shooter was instructed to draw on command, while moving off the X, and dump a mag into the A box on the bottom of the target. Aaron would then evaluate the target. If your group was too tight, you were instructed to speed up. Similarly, too big, then slow down.

I can't remember what the drill was called but pairs of shooters were put on the 15 yd. line then commands were given to move front (3 yrds), middle (7 yrds), rear (15 yrds), all mixed together, so the shooter was constantly moving. The pair moved at near the same pace for safety but that pace could be anywhere from a fast walk to a jog. At some point during that movement, the 'up' command was given and the studen enaged the target as directed. In addition to 'Up', specific targets may be given.

Another drill was introduced and was my favorite. It was the Figure 8 drill. Targets were setup up in somewhat of an arc configuration and two markers (in our case, bricks) were placed on the ground. The targets have various numbers and symbols painted onto them. The student would begin to walk in a figure 8 pattern around the bricks with his head down as if doing something else. Aaron called out a number and possibly another target indicator (numbered circle, head shot, etc) where the student has to react and respond by locating the target, moving laterally to get out of the line of fire, then draw and engage the target. I enjoyed this one because it incorporated all aspect of the I.C.E Training philosophy of Observe (though auditory commands), React (turning toward the threat), Recognize (locating the number and target called out), and Respond (engaging with 3-5 shots on the target unless a precision shot was called for).

The day wrapped up with another volume of fire drill to gauge the shooters' progress and a debrief occurred to discuss the class, ask questions, and comment on the day.

At various times during the course Aaron gave some thoughts on the theory of how the mind deals with stimuli based on the innate and instinctive features of the brain. Beyond the monkey brain, there are mechanisms in place that can help you take short cuts on making decisions in a unexpected attack on your person. Being able to recognize a situation through training vs. improvising when the situation arises allows one to cut some time out of how long it takes to respond. Time is not on your side in a dynamic critical incident.
On the 8th, I was the only one who showed up for the second day of training. The target scenarios were pretty much the same as the first day while nearly all of the shooting was done with one hand.

Over the two days, I learned what facet of my shooting that I need to work on. My shortcoming was not taking enough time to put the first shot on target whereas all follow ups were nearly spot on. I need to fractionally slow down and emphasize the trigger "touch" then "press" vs. sweeping the trigger all the way to the rear.

Overall, I was pleased with the class and can always take something unique away from an instructor's curriculum. Aaron has a thorough knowledge of the I.C.E. mindset and material and was able to relay that onto the students. I enjoyed the class so much that my plan is to see how many of my shooting co-workers I can gather up to set up group and take the class together in the future.

Topic author
ske1eter
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Fundamental Defense - After Action Report

Post by ske1eter »

I was asked about why I was the only one in the Sunday class (a fair question) so I should have included the reason why. On the Fundamental Defense web site, you can sign up for one or two days of class. The co-worker and I signed up for the two day classes where the other three; an elderly couple and a retiring Air Force officer, only signed up for the one day class. My compadre text'ed me @ 4:15 iSunday morning indicating that he was sunburnt, dehydrated, and hadn't slept, so he was bailing on me. So that is why I was flying solo on Sunday.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Fundamental Defense - After Action Report

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks for the report.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”