Favorite Authors / Books?

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AggieMM
Posts in topic: 1

Favorite Authors / Books?

Post by AggieMM »

What are you favorite Authors / Books? I've kinda hit a rut/finished reading my current authors, and I'm looking for some new ones to start reading. So any suggestions are welcome.

Here are my current Authors that I have read and have enjoyed most of their works:
  • Tom Clancy
    David Baldacci
    Larry Bond
    Stephen Coonts
    Harold Coyle
    Vince Flynn
    WEB Griffin
    Steven Hunter
    David Morrell
    John Ross
What are your favorites? Thanks

Ryan

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Re: Favorite Authors / Books?

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

Try James Rollins. My father in law and I have read all of his books. We take turns now buying them and trading out. They're great. Action/adventure, with some military fun thrown in and a little James Bond style action, along with some scientific and historical stuff to keep your brain happily occupied for hours at a time!
TacTex
NRA Life Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

John Sandford.

His Prey series of crime novels are great.

I have the complete collection and would be willing to part with it for a small fee plus shipping. Mostly paperbacks but a few hardbacks.

He also has other books, one a three part series. I have all of them. They are hard to put down once you start.

I have read a few of Clive Cusslers books too. Entertaining but not reality.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

mactex

Post by mactex »

Richard Russo. You may have seen a couple movies made from his books: "Nobody's Fool" and "Empire Falls." My favorite novel by Russo is "Strait Man" about a week in the life of a rouge college professor in a small town.

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

anygunanywhere wrote:John Sandford.
His Prey series of crime novels are great.
I have the complete collection and would be willing to part with it for a small fee plus shipping. Mostly paperbacks but a few hardbacks.
He also has other books, one a three part series. I have all of them. They are hard to put down once you start.

Anygunanywhere
:thumbs2: :iagree:

Tony Hillerman Navaho and four corners Native American crime/mystery novels are good. Something different and good stories.

Jeffrey Deaver is good. Good stories.

Michael Connelly especially the 'Harry' Bosch series, but their all good. One (not Bosch) was made into a Clint Eastwood movie. Hieronymous Bosch is an LAPD dectective.
HerbM

k6gixx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by k6gixx »

Both Dan and Dale Brown write VERY suspenseful and interesting counter terrorism books. Happy reading
The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

Brad Thor. His are sort of in the Clancey vein but much better. He does better on the details involving guns. Brad is an NRA member as well.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

SCone

Post by SCone »

One of my latest finds is called, "Profiles in Audacity". Not sure of the auther (it ain't Obama) but the book is about decisions, some large, some small, that made a difference.

RiveraRa

Post by RiveraRa »

Last few books Ive read were by Matthew Bracken, John Ross, and David Robbins. Can you figure out which books they were? :)
01/10/2009 - CHL class
06/16/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
06/18/2009 - Paperwork Received
06/25/2009 - Money Order Cashed
07/15/2009 - PIN Received
09/02/2009 - Application Completed
09/05/2009 - Plastic in Hand
Current Status: License in hand!

Kerbouchard

Post by Kerbouchard »

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
The Walking Drum by Louis Lamour(along with everything else by Louis Lamour)
Unintended Consequnces by John Ross
In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown
1984 by George Orwell
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
The Super System By Doyle Brunson
Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (As much as an author has to put themselves into their books, I still find it amazing that the same author could write the exact same story, but from two seperate view points, and have the book still turn out great.)
Freakonomics by Stephen D Levitt
Most of John Grisham's books.

Many, many others, but those stand out at the moment.

k6gixx

Post by k6gixx »

Oh I forgot, Pillars of the earth by Ken Follet. EXCELLENT book :thumbs2:
The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Picked up a book by Vince Flynn on the discount table at Wally World, Consent to Kill. What a great book, now into my third book by the author. "Act of Treason" and "Protect and Defend", if you like spy books (CIA) these are great books. He has a new one coming out later this month "Extreme Measures", already the library has 58 requests. Vince Flynn will be in town to do a book signing on 11/4 at Murder by the book on Bissonett at 7pm.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

RiveraRa wrote:Last few books Ive read were by Matthew Bracken, John Ross, and David Robbins. Can you figure out which books they were? :)
Yep...

You will be impressed by Matt's third installment of the Enemy's series...Should be out by next year...Late Spring if it stays on schedule...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Laurell K. Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Abraham »

Kent Haruf

"The Tie That Binds"
"Plainsong"
"Eventide"

All of Richard Russo's books too.

Return to “Books & Videos”