Jack Hinson's One Man War

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
nuparadigm
Posts in topic: 3

Jack Hinson's One Man War

Post by nuparadigm »

"Jack Hinson's One Man War". Author: Tom C. McKenney. Pelican Publishing Co. ISBN: 978-1-58980-640-5.

Jack Hinson was focused on family life when the War Between the States started to advance on the Kentucky-Tennessee border area where he lived. He was neutral; friend to both Confederate and Union generals. In 1862, Hinson's way of life changed.

Union patrols moved in on his land and captured two of his sons, accused them of being Bushwhackers and executed them on the roadside. The soldiers then decapitated the Hinson boys and placed their heads on the gateposts of the family estate. Hinson, nearly 60 at the time and without formal military training, then became a deadly threat to the Union forces. As a self-appointed Confederate sinper, he single-handedly brought down an armed Union transport and served as a scout for Nathan Bedford Forrest. Hinson had ended the war with around one hundred kills of Union soldiers, sailors and Marines. He recorded the confirmed deaths on the barrel of his rifle.

Hinson evaded all capture.

It's a true story and a very good read.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Jack Hinson's One Man War

Post by Paladin »

...now one my Amazon wishlist

Thanks! :txflag:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

You're welcome. I teach History at LeTourneau Univ. (Houston branch) and stumbled upon this monograph while doing research on something else. It just goes to demonstrate that there are tidbits of information concerning the WBTS that are still out there - waiting to be discovered.

The book was written by a retired Marine Lt. Col. whose curiosity was piqued by a roadside sign many years ago. Subsequent to his retirement, he finally had the time to engage in proper historical research. The result of which was this book.

big 54r

Post by big 54r »

I may try this book out, even though it is about a "rebel"...
the history and circumstances about this man's crisis and will of action seem interesting.

actually what's interesting to me is he never gets caught.

Topic author
nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

big 54r wrote:I may try this book out, even though it is about a "rebel"...
the history and circumstances about this man's crisis and will of action seem interesting.

actually what's interesting to me is he never gets caught.
After the WBTS he "hid in plain sight" and ended up dying of, what was then, old age. He made some relatively (for the day) long distance kills of Yankees and did it all with iron sights and old eyes.

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

I just finished this book over the weekend. I couldn't put it down. It was a great, yet tragic story. Fascinating history. Even though the author had to "interpolate" a lot of the story, the story is well referenced throughout. Highly recommended. There is not a lot of good stuff out there about the guerrilla war in the west during the Civil War. This book was a refreshing change.

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Texas10X

Post by Texas10X »

Thanks for posting your review. I see the book is available for Kindles. :clapping:

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

I just finished reading this book, and although the author's style was a bit tiresome, the story itself was extremely fascinating. An amazing story of a tough-as-nails man. A real-life, civil war version of Bob Lee Swagger.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I read that a couple years ago, it was an interesting story. He was a good marksman with that custom rifle.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Ameer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:48 pm
mrvmax wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:42 pm I read that a couple years ago, it was an interesting story. He was a good marksman with that custom rifle.
:thumbs2:

The topic is from 2010 and bumped by a one-post-wonder with a spam link. At least they picked an interesting topic.
:iagree: interesting enough that I bought the book on Kindle
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

mrvmax wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:42 pm I read that a couple years ago, it was an interesting story. He was a good marksman with that custom rifle.

The topic is from 2010 and bumped by a one-post-wonder with a spam link. At least they picked an interesting topic.
I surf this board exclusively from my phone and use the “new posts” link so I don’t check dates. I got scolded by a mod the last time I replied to an old thread, not sure why it matters but it’s hard enough to browse off a phone with my eyes so checking dates is out of the question,

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Ameer,
MVRMAX has been on the forum a lot longer than you have...
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

kscaddo

Post by kscaddo »

I read the book before Christmas. I agree it is a splendid read. :iagree:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

This is the first time I’ve seen this thread. I just downloaded it as I was looking for something to read. I’m somewhat of a history buff too, so I’m looking forward to it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Finished reading the book. At times tedious and repetitive it is a decent read. Since Mr. Hinson’s story lacks many collaborative accounts and the usual family history passed down, the author filled much of the narrative with descriptions familiar to a Marine like himself. This doesn’t distract from the story as it would had a non-rifleman written the story with obvious lack of shooting knowledge and experience.
I enjoyed reading the story of Mr. Hinson’s “war” and recommend it to anyone interested in that war/period.

And now my takeaway thoughts from the book, unrelated to the story.

I have always understood that the War Between The States was brutal with much death and destruction. I had never dug much into the depth of the evil perpetrated by the political leaders as well as the officers and enlisted men of both sides, nor of the non-military criminals who preyed upon the weakened and often unprotected citizens both south and north. That fellow countrymen were so easily persuaded by the political leaders and media of the day to go forth and slaughter one another is a warning to us all. There is nothing civil about war, never has been, never will be.

Those who strive to achieve their agenda of forced control over free people and are willing to engage in a second shooting war between Americans on this continent to gain control fail to understand the numbers of evil people (both left and right) and the levels of depravity that is unleashed by war. Or, perhaps they do and care not as long as they believe that their agenda will prevail.

I suspect 150 or so years after a second American “civil war” historians will compare the wars on American soil and determine that despite humankind’s “advances” the willingness of some to slip back into being brutal barbarians is always lurking beneath the surface.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Books & Videos”