Proclaiming Liberty: What Patriots and Heroes Really Said

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Proclaiming Liberty: What Patriots and Heroes Really Said

Post by Jumping Frog »

This is written by a someone from Ohioans for Concealed Carry: Proclaiming Liberty: What Patriots and Heroes Really Said About the Right to Keep and Bear Arms .
History's most important quotations on the right to arms, all in one very powerful book.

Proclaiming Liberty is the perfect reference book for gun rights authors, speakers, bloggers, and political activists—and everyone interested in Second Amendment freedoms.

“The Web is littered with false or inaccurate quotations about the right to arms, and I felt the time had come to take out the trash,” said author Philip Mulivor. “I vetted more than 130 key quotes—including nearly all the famous firearms-related remarks attributed to our Founders—by checking them word-for-word against original books and documents. Many of those books and manuscripts predate the Declaration of Independence."

The book debunks several phony quotes and sets the record straight on dozens of others. Included are reproductions of title pages from centuries-old books used in the author's research.

To many readers, the real value of the book may be contained in the detailed citations for each quote—the authenticity and accuracy of these historic quotations will be easy to prove as long as Proclaiming Liberty is around.

The right to keep and bear arms is America’s most important conversation, and historic quotes are a critical part of the gun rights dialogue. Proclaiming Liberty is a powerful tool for anyone who engages in that debate.
Published in December, currently ranked as #45 in Books > Education & Reference > Quotations
Last edited by Jumping Frog on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Proclaiming Liberty: What Patriots and Heroes Really Sai

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Bob, thanks for the link. I just downloaded the Kindle edition.

If I may add another suggestion, Patriot Post publishes some shirt-pocket sized booklets that are similar in intention. One of them is called "Essential Liberty" (https://patriotpostshop.com/products/124). Here is the product description:
The Essential Liberty Guide—much more than just a founding documents booklet
Softcover, 155 pages
Measures 4.75" by 3.5"

Restore our Constitution’s integrity and mandate for Rule of Law! The Essential Liberty Pocket Reference Guide contains the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Additionally, an inspiring historical introduction by the Patriot Post’s executive editor Mark Alexander, the Oath of Allegiance to the Constitution, the Declaration of the Cause and Necessity of Taking Up Arms, the Virginia Declaration of Rights, The Articles of Confederation, various state plans from the Philadelphia Constitutional Convention, and a wide selection of quotations from the Founding Fathers are all included in this excellent pocket reference.
The price is $4.25

Quantity Discounts
2-10 $3.75
11+ $2.25

I usually buy 4 or 5 at a time, and I hand them out to young people whom I have engaged with in a conversation about the Constitution and the nation's foundational principles. It is shocking how any of them have never even once looked at the Constitution. Because the book is small and easy to carry around, written in a straightforward voice without bombast, I have found that the recipients are universally grateful to receive it and they go away promising to read it.

It's not much, but that's my part and it is what I can do. When educators deliberately abandon teaching the Constitution to their charges because it stands in opposition to their personal agendas, then we must pick up the cudgel and take upon ourselves to teach the young, else we wind up with the state of the nation we endure today.....only worse.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Bob, thanks for the link. I just downloaded the Kindle edition.
I don't have a Kindle, but I am curious about something. Does it let you select text and copy? I bought the actual printed book, and there are quotes I'd like to use under certain circumstances.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

The Annoyed Man

Jumping Frog wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Bob, thanks for the link. I just downloaded the Kindle edition.
I don't have a Kindle, but I am curious about something. Does it let you select text and copy? I bought the actual printed book, and there are quotes I'd like to use under certain circumstances.
No....Kindle will let you highlight text and bookmark it, but it won't let you copy it to the clipboard. I reckon that's deliberate. But, the Kindle edition of this book is only $3.95, so it's a pretty good deal.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
No....Kindle will let you highlight text and bookmark it, but it won't let you copy it to the clipboard. I reckon that's deliberate. But, the Kindle edition of this book is only $3.95, so it's a pretty good deal.
OK, so I learned something interesting about the Kindle app last night....... The desktop version of the app, at least on my MacBook Pro, will permit you to copy text and paste it. See THIS POST. Each time you copy and paste, the data from the clipboard includes the book cite information. In the linked post, I simply italicized the included cite to make sure that it was differentiated from the actual copied text.

This makes the desktop app into a MOST useful tool.

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Well, finished reading the book and it was quite interesting. It earned a slot on my bookshelf.

The Annoyed Man

Jumping Frog wrote:Well, finished reading the book and it was quite interesting. It earned a slot on my bookshelf.
Ditto here......at least in my Kindle app....for now. :mrgreen:

I probably will buy a printed copy. One very good resource is "Essential Liberty" from the Patriot Post: https://patriotpostshop.com/products/124. I buy these things five or so at a time, and I distribute them to interested young people. Boy does it open some eyes!

#TINVOWOOT

Dr. Detroit
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dr. Detroit »

Hey BobK and group!

Thanks for your interest in my book, Proclaiming Liberty. I was really happy to find you guys talking about it over here on texasCHLforum.

Here's a quote that didn't make it into the book because I couldn't absolutely confirm who really said it, although it's widely attributed to Charles Austin Beard:

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."

Gotta love it.

Dr. Detroit
AKA Phil Mulivor
author, Proclaiming Liberty: What Patriots and Heroes Really Said about the Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Return to “Books & Videos”