With Charles' blessing. . .

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jdkinman
Posts in topic: 7

With Charles' blessing. . .

Post by jdkinman »

Charles has graciously allowed me to pitch my latest novel, Above Reproach, here on the forum. In its first seventy-two hours, the book went international with sales happening in Canada, Mexico, Peru, Argentina, Brazil, the UK, France, Italy, Australia and New Zealand. At last report, we've recorded sales in South Africa, Greece, Slovakia, Poland, Costa Rico, Honduras and Panama.

An e-mail I received from an Australian reader told me he was putting it on his gun club's must read list as it is a "blueprint for what could happen in Australia as easily as it happened in America" and that "every member of the Australian parliament should be required to read it--right after every member of the American government read it."

Borders/Australia then picked up the book and is selling it on their website.

My background--I served in the USAF then later in federal law enforcement, and after graduate school (post law enforcement), I went to work for Ackerman McQueen, the ad/pr agency who did the lion's share of work for the National Rifle Association in the late 80's and 90's. During that time, I developed, wrote, contributed to, worked on and was involved in a host of ILA activities and projects. My fondest jobs and memories were of writing speeches for Wayne LaPierre, James Jay Baker and Charlton Heston. One of the highest honors I've ever experienced was for Mr. Heston to refer to me as his friend. Like all gun-owners, his death saddened me beyond words.

Above Reproach is a thriller set throughout the United States, but unlike typical thrillers written by my favorite authors (Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, et al), my thriller does not have a CIA/SEAL/Delta/Recon Marine super-hero bullet-proof antagonist as its hero who saves the day and saves America.

Instead, the hero is the average ordinary American who exercises their Second Amendment rights, and in particular by being a CHL holder.

Here is the description found the description pages:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

An exiled Iranian operating out of Damascus is taking aim at the one thing the United States holds most precious—her freedom. Launching a blitzkrieg of mass shootings in cities across the country, Muhannad Qasim knows the urban dwellers and the media will blame the Second Amendment for the carnage and then relentlessly pressure lawmakers to stifle Americans’ right to arm and defend themselves. The master terrorist understands that a citizenry unarmed is at the complete mercy of its government—and he has spent years carefully seeding the U.S. Media and government with influential officials sympathetic to his views.

Qasim’s plan is working beautifully until one of his cells runs headlong into the wrong man.

Dillon Cole is a combat veteran and former U.S. Marshal who became a legend in the law enforcement community. After marrying, he hung up his guns and began a new career as a business executive, never looking back. But when he finds himself suddenly caught in the middle of a shooting inside a college student union in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Dillon fights back, killing three of the terrorists and saving untold lives.

His heroics ignite a nationwide firestorm of resistance to the ongoing attacks as well as the attacks on the Constitution. But as Americans begin to fight back, Dillon now finds himself in a fight for his own life as the terrorists will stop at nothing to kill him, including going after his wife and newly adopted daughter. No longer constrained by the rules of his former profession, Dillon Cole takes the fight to the attackers, turning the hunters into the hunted.

The e-book version is $5.99 and is available in epub format through Sony E-Bookstore, Mobi format for the Kindle and is available through Amazon. The book is also available through Kobo and Borders/Australia. I believe that Kobo will also download you a PDF if you do not have an e-reader. You can download Calibre for free and it will convert any format to any other format and turn your computer into a true e-reader complete with flipping pages, scrolling text, text to speech and more. In the upcoming days, it is being picked up by the Apple iBookstore and Barnes & Noble. The print edition will be $15.99 and will be available by Memorial Day weekend.

Thanks and best regards,

J.D. Kinman
Dallas, Texas

v-rog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: With Charles' blessing. . .

Post by v-rog »

Congrats on the big accomplishment!
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just bought it. I was kind of looking around for something to read, having just completed the excellent "EFAD" trilogy and "Castigo Cay".

I bought and read v-rog's book too. It is a labor of love to get a book out.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Sounds intriguing. I may look into acquiring an e version if I can figure out how to do that. Right after I finish the 'tome' I'm currently reading. "Shotgunning, The Art and The Science" by Bob Brister.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
jdkinman

Post by jdkinman »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I just bought it. I was kind of looking around for something to read, having just completed the excellent "EFAD" trilogy and "Castigo Cay".

I bought and read v-rog's book too. It is a labor of love to get a book out.
I'm on the first EFAD (Mathew Bracken), and as a former federal lawman, I'm seeing some traits and characteristics in the early parts (especially with them being so close to DC) that is unnerving. VERY unnerving. And he wrote that book quite a while back. . .

JD

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScooterSissy »

Just downloaded it. Between the excellent cover and the first few pages, looks like it's going to be great. May even interrupt what I was reading.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

as I feared, my night's totally screwed up now. 1/4 the way through this, and I'll probably read until I go to work in the morning.

When is the movie coming out?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Sounds interesting. I'm trying to finish the last Clancy book in the Jack Ryan series and might try this one next.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Got my (electronic) copy, now if I can figure out how to get an electronic autograph . . .
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

jimlongley wrote:Got my (electronic) copy, now if I can figure out how to get an electronic autograph . . .
I heard that! I'm hoping Mr Kinman comes back to the site and lets us know when he's doing book signings. I'm even willing to buy a hard copy just for that. Got a place for right next to the signed copies of Decision Ponits and Going Rogue.

Topic author
jdkinman

Post by jdkinman »

ScooterSissy wrote:
jimlongley wrote:Got my (electronic) copy, now if I can figure out how to get an electronic autograph . . .
I heard that! I'm hoping Mr Kinman comes back to the site and lets us know when he's doing book signings. I'm even willing to buy a hard copy just for that. Got a place for right next to the signed copies of Decision Ponits and Going Rogue.
I actually lurk here quite a bit and have for a long time--got a lot of very valuable information before I got my CHL some years ago. The forum was a LOT smaller back then, but this is one example of when explosive growth is an AWESOME thing!

Signings work a couple of ways. When the print edition comes out, I'll be selling signed editions from my website and as I told Charles (and other CHL and gun forum owners/moderators), I'll also be donating signed copies for fundraisers.

The other way is I've printed up 5 x7s of the books' cover and signed those--either on the front or on the back, depending on the reader's preference.

I've had two gun stores ask me for posters of the cover, so I had my cover artist make me up a high-resolution 600dpi file for a 16 x 20 poster.

I'll probably sign a couple and send them to the two anti-gun groups that have been sending me "love mail" for the past few weeks and promising bad reviews. :lol: But I knew THAT was going to happen. . .

Several more books will be coming out before next year's TSRA annual meeting, and my wife and I are buying a booth at the meeting for next year and hopefully we'll get a chance to meet a lot of you there.

I can't tell you how much your enthusiasm for the book means to me. It is VERY much appreciated.

Regards,

J.D. Kinman

n5wd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by n5wd »

jdkinman wrote:I can't tell you how much your enthusiasm for the book means to me. It is VERY much appreciated.
Glad to see a blue-suiter make good! If you wind up doing a signing or book-talk in the metroplex some time, be sure and mention that as well, please. Looking forward to the Nook e-book - any idea when it'll go online?
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

MOA

Post by MOA »

jdkinman wrote:Above Reproach is a thriller set throughout the United States, but unlike typical thrillers written by my favorite authors (Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, et al), my thriller does not have a CIA/SEAL/Delta/Recon Marine super-hero bullet-proof antagonist as its hero who saves the day and saves America.

Instead, the hero is the average ordinary American who exercises their Second Amendment rights, and in particular by being a CHL holder.

Cool!
Dillon Cole is a combat veteran and former U.S. Marshal who became a legend in the law enforcement community.
I thought you said average ordinary American. :confused5

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MOA wrote:
jdkinman wrote:Above Reproach is a thriller set throughout the United States, but unlike typical thrillers written by my favorite authors (Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, et al), my thriller does not have a CIA/SEAL/Delta/Recon Marine super-hero bullet-proof antagonist as its hero who saves the day and saves America.

Cool!
Dillon Cole is a combat veteran and former U.S. Marshal who became a legend in the law enforcement community.
I thought you said average ordinary American. :confused5
Well, I've nearly finished the book, and there are some average ordinary Americans who have heroic roles in the story. Dillon Cole is some kind of ninja god, but there are a few regular folks with concealed carry licenses who acquit themselves very well with a number of different kinds of handguns and a 12 gauge pump gun in one case. They just don't have as prominent a role as Cole does as the primary protagonist.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I hate you.

My to-read list is backed up already, including Jennifer Egan, Paul Harding, and Elizabeth Strout.

But I've just bought Above Reproach and will have to insert it before some of those otherwise notables...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “Books & Videos”