Sharpshooting in the Civil War

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCannon »

I had the delight of meeting Maj John Plaster during the NRA Annual Meeting. He and a couple others gave a presentation on sharpshooters during the civil war, which, sadly, I missed. Still, I was able to pick up a copy of his book (which he politely signed). It's a fun read for anybody interested in the history. Frankly, I was hoping there would be a chapter or two on some of the technicalities that were typical of sharpshooters during that time, but there wasn't much said about it. Still, it's a great read!

I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

cheezit
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sharpshooting in the Civil War

Post by cheezit »

i think the process is tought in appleseed programs but i could be wrong

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Try reading Jack Hinson' s One Man War by Tom C.a McKenny. It goes into some detail about his tactics and his custom built Sniper Rifle.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

discoqueen

Post by discoqueen »

cheezit wrote:i think the process is tought in appleseed programs but i could be wrong

Yes, Project Appleseed does teach Rifle Marksmanship, and the history that is told is centered on the Revolutionary War.
I would highly encourage anyone interested in becoming a better Rifleman, and a better American, to look into it and attend an event.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How many tools are in your toolbox?
www.DefensiveMindset.com

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Deltaboy wrote:Try reading Jack Hinson' s One Man War by Tom C.a McKenny. It goes into some detail about his tactics and his custom built Sniper Rifle.
I've read it, AND....I specifically talked to Maj Plaster about Jack Hinson. John's theory is that Jack Hinson, as popularized in the stories, didn't really exist. He bases this on his reading of confederate historical records and evaluation of regional reports. His supposition is that, had such an accurate and effective sniper existed, there would have been far more discussions about it after the war (and perhaps during). He couldn't find sufficient evidence that Jack Hinson existed in the fashion that has been popularized by Col. McKenney.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

As a history teacher and having family in the area I can tell you hill folks are really tight lipped about such things and since there was so much pay back after the War many kept it to themselves.
So I will have to respectfully disagree with your friend.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I am currently re-reading Shelby Foote's Civil War Trilogy. It is one of those things you should pick up and read again once in a while. I last read it probably 8 or 9 years ago. I'm in "Volume 1: Fort Sumter to Perryville" right now. He tells the history so beautifully, impartially, and with such great respect for all of the great generals and politicians on both sides that it is just a tremendous read.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Books & Videos”