The Last Battle

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 1

The Last Battle

Post by OldCannon »

Boy, they say truth can be stranger than fiction, and here it is!

Did you know one of the final battles during WW2 consisted of Americans and Germans..... fighting together... to save a bunch of snotty French VIPs!

Knock me over with a feather!

Stephen Harding writes a wonderful, fact-filled book about how an American tank commander and his crew, alongside former Nazi Germans, fought off an attack on a medieval castle that was hosting "VIP" prisoners from France. This one is bound to become a movie!

The story starts off slow, because Stephen Harding goes into meticulous details about the brash Americans, the stoic Germans who struggled for their patriotic identity, and the French VIP prisoners would seemed to spend a lot of energy hating each other (they were drawn from harshly different political ideologies - imagine Obama, Ron Paul, Nancy Pelosi, and Ted Cruz all forced to be prisoners in a small Austrian castle!). About halfway through though, it picks up nicely with all the different paths coming together. It was a fun read.

Here's an article from The Daily Caller about the book (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ether.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and, of course, the mandatory Amazon link " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: The Last Battle

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

During the final days of WWII, Nazi troops that met American troops wanted the Americans
to join up with Germans to fight the Communist Russians. That didn't happen, but looking
back on it.....what if it had?

Things that make you go hmmmm........

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I think Patton wanted to just continue to roll east, but that may just be from the movie.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

TLE2 wrote:I think Patton wanted to just continue to roll east, but that may just be from the movie.
No, it's from Patton (the movie) but he did feel that way, and a lot of the "Nazi" troops at that point in time were merely conscripts into the German Army because we had killed off most of the cream of the crop, and a lot of them were perceptive enough to know that although they were bound to lose their country no matter what, losing it to us was a much better choice than losing it to the soviets.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Kindled it. Thanks for the tip.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Books & Videos”