Beach Reading

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 1

Beach Reading

Post by gringo pistolero »

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I took three books with me.
The Lions of Lucerne by Brad Thor
Killing Floor by Lee Child
Hounded by Kevin Hearne

None inspired me to run out and buy the next book in the series, but I enjoyed all three well enough to finish them between looking at sunsets and bikinis. Thanks and here's some pics appropriate for this forum.

Last edited by gringo pistolero on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oohrah

Re: Beach Reading

Post by oohrah »

Longmire books perhaps by Craig Johnson.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Jack Reacher series by Lee Child makes for good beach reading.

if you've ever wondered why preppers prep, read "One second After", about a small secluded mountain town surviving in the aftermath of a massive EMP.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

Brad Thor is another good one (similar to Flynn). Have you read Stephen Hunter? His latest "The Third Bullet" was interesting. :coolgleamA: Two newer authors that I've started reading: Ben Coes, Brad Taylor. Also, "Lone Survivor" - Marcus Luttrell and "American Sniper" - Chris Kyle are two great non-fiction reads.

Just a few to think about.

Ryan

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

How much time do you have?

Lets see Glen Cook has fantasy detective series Garret PI, Loved these for 20 years
The Carerra Series by Tom Kratman about war on a future plannet with amazing similarities to current events
Belisarius series by David Drake, basically a series with on of the most famous historical generals by one of the best military fiction writers with a bit of scifi thrown in.
Raj Whitehall Series by David Drake and S. M. Stirling Military scifi but primitive instead of more advanced.
Paladin of Shadows by John Ringo, now I love these books, it's a ex-seal who ends up with a private army doing all kinds of crazy stuff but the misogyny of the character is hard to stomach and could ruin the read for some.
The Black Company books are just classic fantasy about a mercenary company who signs on with the "evil" empire. Got to be one of my all-time favorite series
Joe Pickett novels by CJ Box, a game Warden who gets into strange situations
Honor Harrington Series is an epic space saga with an old fashion Naval feel. Hornblower meets StarWars
Iron Druid Chronicles by Hearn
The Lost Fleet by Campbell
Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey, I couldn't even do it justice but I thought the first book was stunning, and the rest pretty good also.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

I really like "Proof of Our Resolve" by Chris Hernandez. Texan + Veteran. Great guy.

If you want something "Sci fi" to read, there's a shorty novelette called "All You Need Is Kill" that's being made into a movie with Tom Cruise next year (yeah, he's a nutjob, but makes for good action flicks).
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BigGuy »

If you like sci-fi in the theme of Starship Troopers (The good book, not the terrible movie) then I recommend these two.
Terms of Enlistment - Marko Kloos
Lucky 13 - Marko Kloos

A-R

Post by A-R »

World War Z ... book is completely different, and infinitely better, than the dirivitive Brad Pitt movie of same name.

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BigGuy »

A-R wrote:World War Z ... book is completely different, and infinitely better, than the dirivitive Brad Pitt movie of same name.
+1

Last bumped by gringo pistolero on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:17 pm.

Return to “Books & Videos”