What are you currently reading?

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Texheim
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by Texheim »

Tom Clancy
Threat Vector
"Y'all may go to hell and I shall go to Texas"

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

"God's War on Terror" WalidShoebat & Joel Richardson.
I highly recommend it.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CHLLady »

MotherBear wrote:Just finished reading "Sense and Sensibility" this afternoon, which meant that dinner was salads instead of stir fry because I should have put down my book to make dinner half an hour before. I'll probably wind up making my way through the Austen collection (it happens every year or two; I can't resist). I'm waiting for a friend to finish her draft of the final novel in her trilogy so I can read it. She's not published yet, but if the publishers have any sense she will be. And I'm also waiting for the next Diana Gabaldon "Outlander" book. Otherwise I'm trying to stay away from fiction because I have terrible self control when it comes to books and nothing gets done when I get into a good book.

For non-fiction, I'm working through "The Well-Trained Mind." I want to finish the entire thing, but with a particular focus on getting the elementary years sorted out.
Jane Austen is my all time favorite author! I have read and re-read her books, they are like my friends. They were the first things I put on my kindle. My favorite is Persuasion. I have had the true pleasure of going to her last home in Chawton where she was most prolific in her writing. I also visited her grave in Winchester Cathedral and saw the house where she died. I laid yellow flowers at her grave. She was an incredible because it was not common for women to be as educated as she was. I touched the little table that she wrote at. Yes, I am a bit of a Jane fanatic. It was certainly the top of my bucket list and now I have to come up with another. ;-)
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

n5wd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by n5wd »

The Last Praetorian (The Redemption Triology), by Mike Smith.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Capt Jeff

Post by Capt Jeff »

Now - "Pirate Alley" by Stephen Coonts

Next - "Control" by Glenn Beck
NRA Life (Patronage) Member

US Merchant Marine - The Fourth Arm of Defense

MotherBear
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MotherBear »

CHLLady wrote:
MotherBear wrote:Just finished reading "Sense and Sensibility" this afternoon, which meant that dinner was salads instead of stir fry because I should have put down my book to make dinner half an hour before. I'll probably wind up making my way through the Austen collection (it happens every year or two; I can't resist). I'm waiting for a friend to finish her draft of the final novel in her trilogy so I can read it. She's not published yet, but if the publishers have any sense she will be. And I'm also waiting for the next Diana Gabaldon "Outlander" book. Otherwise I'm trying to stay away from fiction because I have terrible self control when it comes to books and nothing gets done when I get into a good book.

For non-fiction, I'm working through "The Well-Trained Mind." I want to finish the entire thing, but with a particular focus on getting the elementary years sorted out.
Jane Austen is my all time favorite author! I have read and re-read her books, they are like my friends. They were the first things I put on my kindle. My favorite is Persuasion. I have had the true pleasure of going to her last home in Chawton where she was most prolific in her writing. I also visited her grave in Winchester Cathedral and saw the house where she died. I laid yellow flowers at her grave. She was an incredible because it was not common for women to be as educated as she was. I touched the little table that she wrote at. Yes, I am a bit of a Jane fanatic. It was certainly the top of my bucket list and now I have to come up with another. ;-)
I feel exactly the same way about the books. I still remember my first time reading Pride and Prejudice, in high school. I was in the library with another girl from my English class and we were both supposed to be reading it (alternative for a class assignment our parents opted us out for -- best choice ever). I was chuckling every few lines and, bless her blonde little heart, she'd just look at me and ask what was so funny. Don't think she ever caught on that it was humorous.

I'm jealous of your visit... maybe someday! I'd also like to visit Beatrix Potter's farm. My kids just love her books, and I love having such well written children's stories to read to them. We're planning a Europe trip in about 12 years, just before the oldest finishes high school. Guess I can be patient till then. :waiting:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

VMI77 wrote:Light of the World, by James Lee Burke.
Is that a new one? He and C.J Box are two of my favorites.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. It came recommended in a thread on this forum.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

scottmeador

Post by scottmeador »

Currently reading Wild At Heart and Fathered By God by John Eldredge.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I start each day with scripture and a devotional book called "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young. I am also concurrently reading "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" by Thomas Sowell and "Suicide of a Superpower" by Pat Buchanan. I recently finished reading "World War Z" by Max Brooks.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

"Moss, Mallards and Mules" by Bob Brister. Next I'm going to reread "The Gun Digest Book of the .22 Rifle" by C. Rodney James.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

equin

Post by equin »

Almost a Miracle: The American Victory in the War of Independence, by John Ferling. An interesting historical read of the American Revolution.
Ed

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

Just finished "The Affair", A Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child.
Presently reading "Enders Game," by Orson Scott Card. With the movie coming out, I wanted to read the book first.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by The Annoyed Man »

BigGuy wrote:Just finished "The Affair", A Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child.
Presently reading "Enders Game," by Orson Scott Card. With the movie coming out, I wanted to read the book first.
Ender's Game is a great book, and Orson Scott Card is a good writer. I read it some years ago. My son turned me on to it when he was in middle school.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

BigGuy wrote:Just finished "The Affair", A Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child.
I've never read any of the Jack Reacher books. The first I ever heard of them was when my brother laughingly told me Tom Cruise was playing Jack Reacher in a movie. I asked what was funny about that :lol: Then he told me a little about the character and his height "rlol" "rlol" Tom Cruise... "rlol" "rlol"
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Books & Videos”