"Sheepdogs" children's book by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 1

"Sheepdogs" children's book by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Post by A-R »

http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/artic ... rotectors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We can begin teaching our children “how to be strong while remaining virtuous in a dangerous world” with the help of teachers and books like SHEEPDOGS. Or we can let our children be taught to be sheep, as is being done with “Uncool: The Anti-Gun Violence Project.”

A California librarian presenting this project to parents and children said that six or seven is not too young to begin a conversation about guns. “It’s not too young because of the world we live in.”

I couldn’t agree more. But the project’s message for kids is “imagine a world without guns.”
Edited to add: point if above quote being that Grossman's new children's book is the antithesis to the anti-gun garbage currently being taught to our children in school.

Perhaps each member here could donate a copy of this book to their local library and/or school?

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: "Sheepdogs" children's book by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Post by Right2Carry »

Just finished ordering a copy.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

AFAmmo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AFAmmo »

My copy arrived a couple of days ago.
I really like the book, but I don't think I can read it to my kids.
It has a part explaining how some sheepdogs have to lay down their lives defending the sheep..
I have been to some funerals of brave men who have given their lives for their country.
I can deal with their deaths as those of us who serve know what is at stake.
What chokes me up is seeing the faces of their children who will never see their fathers again.
I cannot seem to get past that part of the book without wiping away some tears. I guess my wife will have to read it to the kids.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

AFAmmo wrote:My copy arrived a couple of days ago.
I really like the book, but I don't think I can read it to my kids.
It has a part explaining how some sheepdogs have to lay down their lives defending the sheep..
I have been to some funerals of brave men who have given their lives for their country.
I can deal with their deaths as those of us who serve know what is at stake.
What chokes me up is seeing the faces of their children who will never see their fathers again.
I cannot seem to get past that part of the book without wiping away some tears. I guess my wife will have to read it to the kids.
How old are your kids? I'm sure you know your kids and are right that they are too young for that. I don't remember how old my now 12y old daughter was when she started asking me tough questions about what I would do to protect her and mamma, but it was probably at least 2-3 years ago. I think she's seen news stories in the last 2-3 years about kids saving other kids' lives that ended up dying themselves.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AFAmmo

Post by AFAmmo »

I have 5 kids ranging from 11 to soon to be born (due September 1).

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Right2Carry »

I see nothing wrong with the book. Bought a copy myself and had my 12 year old read it to me and explain it.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

AFAmmo

Post by AFAmmo »

I found it interesting that he specifically talks about the need to carry in church at the end of the book. There are probably a lot of congregations where no one is armed.

Return to “Books & Videos”