One Second After, by William R. Forstchen

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Skiprr
Posts in topic: 4

One Second After, by William R. Forstchen

Post by Skiprr »

• Edited to add: this very short impression of Dr. Forstchen's One Second After is based on the reading of it as a novel, and as I mention on the next page of the thread, I am a harsh critic when it comes to fiction. I read upwards of 90 novels each year, and typically find only three or four among them that I think are well written and finely crafted.

One Second After should probably be classified as an important book. It's well-researched subject matter is chilling and eye-opening. On that basis I'm glad I read it. However....
Just finished One Second After by William R. Forstchen. A very thought-provoking and well-researched book.

But as a novel, it pretty much sucked eggs.

William R. Forstchen is a Professor of History and Faculty Fellow at Montreat College, in Montreat, North Carolina.

The first-person protagonist of his novel is John--SURPRISE!--a Professor of History and Faculty Fellow at Montreat College, in Montreat, North Carolina.

John is a colonel in the U.S. Army, was a step away from earning his star, but Forstchen has no actual military experience. And it shows.

Forstchen also has no MFA degree. Obviously. To say this novel is stilted would be to ask Shaquile O'Neal to walk around on 10-foot-tall stalks of balsa wood. The dialogue is interchangeable: no distinguishable intonation or character: anyone could have spoken anyone else's lines. And am I the only one who was put-off by John's two-pack-a-day smoking habit? A U.S. Army Colonel in the 21st Century? Really?

Good premise; good research. Thought provoking.

Alas, written by a history teacher, obviously so, and written poorly. Not written by a novelist.

I won't be reading anything else by William R. Forstchen because life is far too short for mediocre writing. How he sold two follow-up books to this C-grade novel, I will never know.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

JRG
Posts in topic: 1

Re: One Second After, by William R. Forstchen

Post by JRG »

One second after.................what?

What is the premise of the story?

Joe

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

I liked it. Great, thought provoking premise.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

"Good premise; good research. Thought provoking."

And what is wrong with that? I read it years ago and passed it along to The Wife, who reads at least two books a week. Neither of us, for what it is, were inclined to trash talk it afterwards. Altho she hated the eventual disposition of the dog.

Edited to answer: "One second after.................what?" At least a couple of coordinated EMT attacks on a not-so-fine Friday afternoon.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 6

Post by bblhd672 »

Skiprr wrote:Just finished One Second After by William R. Forstchen. A very thought-provoking and well-researched book.

But as a novel, it pretty much sucked eggs.

William R. Forstchen is a Professor of History and Faculty Fellow at Montreat College, in Montreat, North Carolina.

The first-person protagonist of his novel is John--SURPRISE!--a Professor of History and Faculty Fellow at Montreat College, in Montreat, North Carolina.

John is a colonel in the U.S. Army, was a step away from earning his star, but Forstchen has no actual military experience. And it shows.

Forstchen also has no MFA degree. Obviously. To say this novel is stilted would be to ask Shaquile O'Neal to walk around on 10-foot-tall stalks of balsa wood. The dialogue is interchangeable: no distinguishable intonation or character: anyone could have spoken anyone else's lines. And am I the only one who was put-off by John's two-pack-a-day smoking habit? A U.S. Army Colonel in the 21st Century? Really?

Good premise; good research. Thought provoking.

Alas, written by a history teacher, obviously so, and written poorly. Not written by a novelist.

I won't be reading anything else by William R. Forstchen because life is far too short for mediocre writing. How he sold two follow-up books to this C-grade novel, I will never know.
It is not a literary masterpiece - it is however a chilling warning about a real threat. Forstchen wrote the book to warn the people about the seriousness of this threat.

I find your assessment amusing that because the author lacks a Master of Fine Arts degree that he is unqualified to write a best seller.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

JRG wrote:One second after.................what?

What is the premise of the story?

Joe
http://www.onesecondafter.com/

http://www.empcommission.org/index.php
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I read "One Second After" and am now working on reading his sequel "One Year After"

Another book with a similar perspective is Christian author Blackstock's "Last Light"
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

chasfm11 wrote:I read "One Second After" and am now working on reading his sequel "One Year After"

Another book with a similar perspective is Christian author Blackstock's "Last Light"
There's a sequel to "One Year After" out already, and I've read all three. Good stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Final-Day-Novel- ... cond+after

Also recommend "Lights Out" (same premise - EMP), but Texas specific. https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-David ... Lights+Out
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Also recommend "Lights Out" (same premise - EMP), but Texas specific. https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-David ... Lights+Out
Thanks! I'll add this one to my reading list.
Finished "The Final Day" and currently reading this first novel by Ben Shapiro:
https://www.amazon.com/True-Allegiance- ... 8&qid=&sr=

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Greybeard wrote:"One second after.................what?" At least a couple of coordinated EMT attacks on a not-so-fine Friday afternoon.
EMP.... I'm certain this was an autocorrect error... very funny though... Made me think of Zombie EMT's :lol:

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RogueUSMC »

I read that one...it seemed very similar to one I read about 15 years ago but the cause was solar flares. It was a Christian author with a not too vague Christian slant...need to remember the title of that one...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

LOL...Solar Flare by Larry Burkett
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Skiprr,

Thank you for your review.

I am a fan of good to great writers.

Mediocre, not if I can avoid.

I'll quit a book if the writing is second-rate.

My time on the mud ball is limited.

I don't care to spend it reading poor quality writing as I tend to edit such and that drives me to distraction...

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I am also reading an interesting philosophical treatise about how we currently look at history, and how we ought to. It's called "The Fourth Turning: What the Cycles of History Tell us About America's Rendezvous with Destiny".
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I read it last year and thought it was pretty good. Definitely thought provoking and made me rethink allot about my health and (although I'm not a prepper) how I should prepare for an emergency.

Return to “Books & Videos”