"KILLING THE ACTIVE SHOOTER"

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 10

Re: "KILLING THE ACTIVE SHOOTER"

Post by Paladin »

Rob72 wrote:... rushing out a "Kill" manual does not exactly improve my perspective of his judgement. There are better instructors, with far deeper thought driving their work.
Suarez's active shooter book was released many years ago. The book review was from 2014.

Do you have a book or DVD about active shooter interdiction that you would recommend?
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WTR »

I could only find one review of this manuscript. It was positive. Unfortunately, Suarez is know to have multiple web sites where he will write his own reviews. And all positive......surprise surprise.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Paladin wrote:...This is a review of the Suarez Active Shooter Interdiction class. They teach the "rear naked" choke. A choke that was used in 2015 to stop the Paris train active shooter.
While I haven't had the chance to take Mr. Suarez's Active Shooter Interdiction class, I have done active shooter training and some Israeli counter-terrorism training... and the list of topics Mr. Suarez covers look very good. It's well worth training on precision head shots, distance shots, Force-on-Force, how to use an AK47, knives, chokes, and pistol & rifle disarms.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The FBI study on active shooters did not show a major problem with responding armed civilians being shot by responding police. Paul Howe teaches to re-conceal your pistol after any shooting to avoid being accidentally targeted by police. Sounds like good advice to me.

OlBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OlBill »

WTR wrote:
Not someone I trust to follow or take advice from.
Me either. Paul Howe on the other hand...
Kelly McCann is another good one, although I don't know he has addressed this particular issue. Him I know.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The FBI study states:
....many incidents ended before police arrived. Of the 160 incidents, at least 107 (66.9%) ended before police arrived and could engage the shooter, either because a citizen intervened, the shooter fled, or the shooter committed suicide or was killed by someone at the scene.
The numbers show that police are too slow 2 out of 3 times and police often take casualties when they do get there in time. Armed citizens are quicker to respond and have a much better success rate. If armed citizens take action, the event will probably be resolved by the time on-duty police get to the scene. Mr. Suarez has additional advice in his book.

Until other instructors publish their own books on active shooter interdiction and open up training to the license-to-carry community, Mr. Suarez will be the leader in the area because he doesn't have any direct competition on the subject.

I wish there was more of this training available. Krav Maga, Haganah, and jiu-jitsu can fill in some of the gaps.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WTR »

A school shooter is just a target in a unique environment. There are plenty of books discussing the mindset and means of addressing a threat. Start with Cooper and Jordan. Plenty of good reading out there. Suarez just has attached hhe word school to his essay.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

There are good things about competitive shooting and other things that competitive shooting simply does not address.
...I shot IPSC for a couple of years and it helped with my draw, presentation, multiple shots and
multiple targets. It did not help me with use of cover, tactical movement, tactical thinking,
discrimination, etc. In the end, I moved to tactical training only. My simple shooting systems
needed to encompass all these aspect and not just one narrow bandwidth of shooting a pistol. I
cannot promote speed over safety or proper discrimination or proper use of cover....use
IDPA and IPSC as a training vehicle to make you a more technically proficient
shooter. But know the difference between tactical and technical.
-Paul Howe

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Surviving a Mass Killer Rampage looks like it has a lot of facts from survivors of active shooter events. It is not so much an instruction guide, but is written from the armed citizen perspective and well reviewed.
The average active killer will kill or wound between four and five people a minute. Police reaction time varies from a couple of minutes to half an hour. The best way to stop these murders is to have someone close to the scene with a gun and the training to use it.
In Paul Howe's article ACTIVE SHOOTER: TRAIN NOW OR PAY LATER Paul states:
Responding to an Active Shooter is the most difficult mission to perform of all the missions skills assigned to either patrol or tactical officers...Normally students have problems on the first run and are in shock at what they encounter.
I believe the active shooter event is worth specifically training for. Active shooter training starts with mindset and tactics and then gets into skills for both the permissive and non-permissive environments.

Return to “Books & Videos”