Finding Excavation Projects Checked through "811"

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Finding Excavation Projects Checked through "811"

Post by Skiprr »

You may seldom have a need to dig into (pun intended) whether or not some excavation operation has been properly vetted through the Texas 811 (http://www.texas811.org/) or Lone Star 811 (http://www.lonestar811.com/) systems, but I thought I'd pass this along, just in case.

Texas law states that "...a person who intends to excavate shall notify a notification center not earlier than the 14th day before the date the excavation is to begin or later than the 48th hour before the time the excavation is to begin..." (see Utilities Code Title 5, Chapter 251 and Administrative Code Title 16, Part 1, Chapter 18). The purpose of the system is to help prevent damage to public and private utilities like water mains, gas lines, telecommunications bundles, etc. (Class A underground facility operator). As necessary, the Class A operator is to mark the location of its underground facilities at or near the site of the proposed excavation.

Should you ever find yourself in need of investigating some digging/excavation operation, here's what seems to be an unadvertised link:

http://www.managetickets.com/morecApp/t ... .jsp?db=tx

The initial search screen offers a huge number of options, and can look pretty daunting...makes you think at first you need information about the applicant for the work as well as the type of excavation. But all you really need to know is an approximate date range for the work, and be able to identify the general area on a map:
  1. To the right of the "Ticket Information" field, set a fairly broad date range that you're confident will include the work; 811 checks are supposed to be performed no earlier than 14 days before the digging starts, but if you don't find what you want, try expanding the date range.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the Google map of Texas.
  3. Zoom in closely enough so that you accurately demarc the area that contains the excavation work. Unless you're in a rural area, you probably want to be zoomed in tightly so that your search results don't include routine street or utilities maintenance.
  4. Click on the button labeled "Create Polygon." Right-click on the map to add a starting point, and then click around the area to draw a polygon--one point for each click--and finally join the ends of the polygon to close it. The area will be highlighted in yellow.
  5. The last step is to scroll to the very bottom of the screen, and click "Search." I takes a few seconds to build and display the list, but you'll see a summary of all the known excavation activities with the timeframe and map location you specified. To drill-down into individual entries to get full details, click on the "Ticket #" and, voila!
What prompted me to research this: I have a greenbelt (read: full residential-lot-sized empty space) that runs all along the north side of the street behind my house. It's an easement for a crude oil transportation pipeline. Not nearly as dangerous as a natural gas transportation line; wouldn't have bought the house, otherwise...but it is nice being inside a large residential subdivision and having no neighbors in the back.

I'm in the block where that street was previously a dead-end (which also meant no through traffic behind me), but new construction just started taking place where the street terminates. I came home for lunch to find two backhoes dredging out a very large swatch of land parallel to the crude-oil pipeline path--with PVC pipe laying next to the path, obviously for for water/sewage tie-in--and no markers (flags, stakes, paint strips, etc.) to be found to delineate the existing pipeline. Being lunchtime, I saw no one around that looked like a foreman or manager that I might ask, but even if crude oil and not natural gas, I wasn't too excited about the prospect of someone accidentally cracking open that buried pipeline 100 feet from my back fence.

Neither the Call811.com website (http://call811.com/map-page/texas) nor Texas 811 contain a link to the "master" database and, while Lone Star 811 does, it sends you only to a log-in page for members, not one that contains a link to the public database search.

So I called 811 myself and explained what I was trying to find, and the agent pointed me to the search tool linked above. Perfect. Maybe the Texas 811 systems don't feel a link to the public search would be used frequently enough to mention, or perhaps they don't want umpteen hits degrading online performance. Dunno. But it was certainly useful to me, and I found what I wanted to know in about two minutes.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Jusme

Re: Finding Excavation Projects Checked through "811"

Post by Jusme »

Great Post Skiprr,

I too understand the frustration with trying to obtain information by phone. Where I worked previously, a contractor superintendent, dug into a buried 300 pair cable phone line. Rather than call his boss, he called me, the facility manager. I got on the phone and since the contractor had pulled the dig permit, it took a long time to obtain information from 811, but when I finally got it across to them that we had an exposed phone line, they came out in force. Turned out it was an abandoned line, but the superintendent got mad at me, because his boss, his boss's boss, and his boss's, boss's, boss all showed up on site after being told they had potentially disabled a major phone trunk line. I thought it was funny since he was afraid to contact them in the first place and it was his company that pulled the permits. But there was a lot of excitement for a while. :woohoo
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Re: Finding Excavation Projects Checked through "811"

Post by The Annoyed Man »

We recently put up a new retaining wall around 3 sides of our property. There's a Verizon (now Frontier) FiOS bundle that runs right between my neighbor's property and mine, and we called for a utilities check 3 times and put the job on hold for 2 weeks. Verizon never did make it, and I told my contractor to go ahead and complete my job and just be careful. To this day, Verizon never responded.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”