So I bought my first security camera *sigh*

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CrimsonSoul
Posts in topic: 4

So I bought my first security camera *sigh*

Post by CrimsonSoul »

Well I finally felt the need to buy a security camera :( over the past week we've had people messing with the plants my wife has been growing on our balcony, it started with someone cutting the stems of my daughters pink plant that she's been proud to grow around a week ago, then today someone dumped out one of the pots that we have. So I bought a cheap little network camera (best I could afford) so I can save the feed on my computer and also check it via the internet while I'm gone. going to be fun, but worth it I think. I'm just depressed that I actually have to buy a camera to watch plants (also the balcony/glass sliding glass door).
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

BroTyler
Posts in topic: 1

Re: So I bought my first security camera *sigh*

Post by BroTyler »

Do you mind sharing details (model, set up, etc)? I've been thinking about doing the same thing for our house. Our city apparently doesn't believe in street lights, so we lone few who turn on our porch lights provide any kind of illumination. I went so far aso to buy several of those solar stake-lights and place them around our yard, but someone stole a few of those, so at this point I wouldn't mind having some cameras.

Topic author
CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

I haven't got it in yet, but it's a little 50 dollar camera I got off walmart and doesn't have infrared (they do have infrared wireless cameras that have their own DVR to save all the data to if you want to spend around 400 on up to 1000+ depending on what you want). from what I can tell you plug it into the wall, and plug it into the router and can watch the feed via the internet (and I'm sure there has to be a way to save the feed too, if not I'll have to find a way). I'll post a link to the one I bought and the one I wish I could have bought lol.

here's a nice one for 400 that I wouldn't mind buying that has the DVR built in to the receiver.

but the one I bought doesn't have any of the fancy stuff built in.

for a few hundred they also have the network camera (internet cameras) that you can control via the internet (move it from side to side, tilt up and down) but I don't have that kinda money until tax time :)

edit: the one I was going to buy but changed my mind was this one it comes with two cameras (non-wireless) and a TV screen in which to watch them on and has IR for nighttime for around 80 dollars
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

Is there a camera made that is: 1. Wireless. 2. Easy to install. 3. Can be viewed from the laptop.

I would like to be able to open my laptop and see what is outside in the driveway, front yard, and my porch. Can someone post a link to such a creature?

Topic author
CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

carlson1 wrote:Is there a camera made that is: 1. Wireless. 2. Easy to install. 3. Can be viewed from the laptop.

I would like to be able to open my laptop and see what is outside in the driveway, front yard, and my porch. Can someone post a link to such a creature?
there are a lot of those around, search for "wireless network camera" on google or whathave you, since I've been using walmart the whole time here's a link to an outdoor wireless camera that you can hook up to a computer/dvr/tv/etc and it has a microphone so you can hear outside. not sure on how big of a view you get as it says it's a "bullethole" camera. There are a lot of those types out there that you are looking for, I just don't know the best places to find them cuz I just started looking for them and needed something on the cheap that's why I grabbed the one I did.

edit: The one I linked to only has like a 2 star review and people are having problems with it, so make sure you do your homework before you buy :)
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Thanks for the help. Unfortunate it is time to set up cameras in my neighborhood. I have the alarm, the dog, and the pistol. Now I need the techno gadgets. :)

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

Gee how times have changed. Does anyone remember when no one ever locked their doors? Now we have to keep our homes like Fort Knox. Wonderful times we live in. How I long for those good ole days. Also no one was afraid to walk outside after dark either. sigh
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

seniorshooteress wrote:Also no one was afraid to walk outside after dark either. sigh
I remember all of those days. I just came in from walking my Retriever and I carried a S&W M&P .40c in my right front pocket.

It used not to be that way.

AEA

Post by AEA »

The only way I would consider a wireless camera would be wireless interface to network (wi-fi) but wired for power.

Those that are wireless for power (and video to a network interface point) operate on batt's and when they die, so does the feed.

So, if anyone knows of a wi-fi signal, wired power with infrared camera that does not cost an arm & leg, that would be the one for me.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Quahog

Post by Quahog »

AEA wrote:The only way I would consider a wireless camera would be wireless interface to network (wi-fi) but wired for power.

Those that are wireless for power (and video to a network interface point) operate on batt's and when they die, so does the feed.

So, if anyone knows of a wi-fi signal, wired power with infrared camera that does not cost an arm & leg, that would be the one for me.
This one isn't wireless but it's fairly low-cost and currently $100 off the regular price: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... lang=en-US

There is also this one that looks like it might fit the bill but I only did a quick scan of its features:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... lang=en-US

Now you've got me thinking about doing this too!
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

Topic author
CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

So I have the camera up, but I don't have it installed yet (waiting on a friend to drop by with a drill) but if anyone wants to see what it looks like the link to it is here the username is "testaccount" and the password is "password" it's pretty darn good for a 50 dollar camera
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

muleman

Post by muleman »

Good post, i recently had two ATVs stolen and have thought about the camera thing.

randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

Because I often hear noises at night, my hubby and I are considering installing a camera system in our home accessible only via a "station" set up in the bedroom. The cameras will be on every entrance to the home and the outside of our bedroom door, so if I hear a noise I can arm myself and then check to see if anything is amiss before I get too worried. Also, if anything DOES look wrong, I can call police and tell them exactly what I see and hopefully where any intruders may be.

We are also installing a number of...stumbling blocks, if you will...that will prevent any intruder from reaching the bedroom without a lot of noise, effort, and time. Buying yourself some time for the police to arrive is never a bad thing.

I just can't wait to get this all installed and then have friends come visit. They already think we're paranoid for owning guns (or maybe it's the number of guns we own?) and this will just solidify their suspicions that we're insane. :mrgreen:

CrimsonSoul - I can't view your feed via the link and login info you posted but I'd be interested to see the quality. Hope you figure out who is vandalizing your plants...probably someone with too much time on their hands. :roll:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

I have had a wireless IP security camera set up for about 2 years now. The software I use is called Blue Iris and it starts recording on motion and will record for 30 seconds after the motion stops. The video clip is stored on the computer for review and archiving.

I did this after my car was broken into one night while we sat in the house. They stole about $100 worth of stuff but caused $1500 in glass and body damage to the car. :banghead: I also installed a shock-sensor alarm on the vehicle with a paging remote so when they hit the glass it would trigger the alarm.

Since that time I have had three incidents caught on video of individuals trying to get into the car. While they didn't try breaking the windows these times, they did try the doors to see if they were unlocked. The captured video was burned to DVD and given to the police department after each incident.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Quahog

Post by Quahog »

What camera, Keith?
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

Return to “Off-Topic”