pros & cons of obvious security vs. hidden

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

smoothoperator
Posts in topic: 2

Re: pros & cons of obvious security vs. hidden

Post by smoothoperator »

papajohn1964 wrote:I wouldn't put a beam anywhere outside. They can be set off by dogs, cats, birds, grass being blown in the wind etc... You would have to run wiring out to it for power anyways so put a magnetic door contact on it instead.
I agree in the example you gave where breaking the beam sets off an alarm that notifies the cops. However, something that rings a doorbell chime inside the house and/or triggers a driveway light is a different story. For me, the occasional false alarms aren't a big deal. Just from the convenience factor, it's nice to know the UPS driver is coming, and having my driveway light up when I come home after dark.

I like both visible and hidden cameras, and for different reasons.

papajohn1964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by papajohn1964 »

smoothoperator wrote:
papajohn1964 wrote:I wouldn't put a beam anywhere outside. They can be set off by dogs, cats, birds, grass being blown in the wind etc... You would have to run wiring out to it for power anyways so put a magnetic door contact on it instead.
I agree in the example you gave where breaking the beam sets off an alarm that notifies the cops. However, something that rings a doorbell chime inside the house and/or triggers a driveway light is a different story. For me, the occasional false alarms aren't a big deal. Just from the convenience factor, it's nice to know the UPS driver is coming, and having my driveway light up when I come home after dark.

A couple of things to consider. Beams are just that, a beam of light between 2 devices and they only cover the space (a thin line) between them. You put them across your driveway or all the way across the front of your house and they can be walked around. Put them low and you have animals setting them off or people stepping over them. Put them up higher and people can duck under them. IMHO motion detection devices are the best bang for your buck outside. You may still have the animal problem but they are harder to sneak past. Bottom line is that security devices, including alarms and cameras are simply a deterrent for bg's and they keep honest people honest.
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

I'm well aware of the limitations and the beam is not there to stop ninjas. It's there to let me know a vehicle is coming.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

smoothoperator wrote:

A driveway detector / chime system based on a buried probe that detects moving metal eliminates many false alarms and is good at detecting vehicles, but of course it won't detect people unless they're packing an awful lot of steel.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VMI77 »

knotquiteawake wrote:I am considering putting one in my driveway but the cameras are so very conspicuous on residences that your neighbors thing you're a nut case and your wife hates how tacky it looks. So far I have not found the "perfect" camera to put up that will be out of sight but still recording to my computer.
So your security is less important to you than what your uninformed neighbors think?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

wally775
Posts in topic: 1

Post by wally775 »

Hello Tass.

You have received many ideas and would not disagree with any
in premise.
I would offer a few opinion only observations.

Beams – work well in conjunction with other devices on a security
system but not that well by themselves. Best used as a trap and if possible attached to a stationary, immoveable object. The good ones are quite expensive.

Contacts – Most used device on a security system and for good reason.
They can be attached to most anything and as devices go fairly cheap.
They come in both wired and wireless.

Motion detectors - very good indoors and not so much outdoors for the reasons given and then some.

Cameras – bar none the best visual electronic deterrent. Will not stop anyone but then no device will. Gives you in most cases a history of what and how something took place.
On some digital systems they can be used as beams and to send a signal of engagement.

Going by your OP I believe you are on the track with the lights. Lights and noise are the
pits for nefarious individuals. You have to ask yourself what you want to accomplish
deterrent, notification, alarm or total security and how to get the most for your budget.

Sorry for the long post and it could go on and on but if you want to bounce any ideas give me a PM. I am on more electronic security related forums than firearms.

Good luck.

:tiphat:

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

cheezit wrote:i dont hide mine i feed them 2 cups of dog food a day. seen houses broken in to ever place i have ever lived. not happened to us yet. a few 75lbs dogs keep people out of mt yards
nothing says "hello" better to a bg than a rotty walking up and saying howdy as her teeth glisten in the dim light
my first liked to play with unwelcome guests, before she would pin them and wait for backup :thumbs2:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

I think obvious are better for deterrence and hidden is better to trap or catch them.

Look at it like this. A visible cop car is better if the goal is slowing down traffic. A hidden cop car is better if the goal is writing tickets.

Topic author
Tass
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Tass »

Thanks for all the suggestions & scenarios. Got the lights up and plan to install an obvious game cam...not so obvious with recorder to come later.

Appreciate everything. (I always know I can come here for the best advice)

Tass
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh crap, she's up"

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

If you don't have a monitored alarm system, get one.

Mrs. Anygunanywhere and I use Front Point Security. http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/

It is cell technology so even if the BG cut the phone line the alarm works. They can break in and smash the panel and the alarm still will activate because the cell does a heartbeat check every 10-15 seconds. The system is wi-fi capable. I can monitor my house in LaGrange from my iPhone. Any tampering of sensors or alarms sends me an immediate text and email.

Recently while asleep in Clear Lake Shores we were awakened at 3:00 am by the garage door sensor detecting an open door. Text and email arrived immediately. They called and asked if we were OK and I told them to send Fayette County SO as we were away and alarm appeared valid.

I was monitoring other sensors. THe deputy arrived and reported that the house was secure. I fired up the Macbook and logged into my system, bypassed the door sensor and rearmed the system from CLS. Wound up being a failed sensor. After this episode I installed a motion sensor in the garage too.

Fayette County SO was great.

I will be going the camera route at some point in the future. I have found tire treads on my driveway that do not belong.

We have signs along the driveway and at all porches and doors.

This is by far the best alarm system we have ever used. We have had two other systems in other homes and think this cell technology is the best.

When we received the first system it utilized T-Mobile as the carrier but where our house is located the carrier did not have a strong signal. They sent me the AT&T card and I replaced it myself. ATT works great.

The monthly cost is around $50 bucks including the cell access and the equipment is reasonable. Any normal person can install the system in a few hours. The panel can be wall mounted or set on a table or shelf anywhere.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Off-Topic”