Keller ISD & School safety

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Keller ISD & School safety

Post by suthdj »

Enrolled my kid in School yesterday an wife asks about the safety policy and then I asked about the School Marshall program/ Armed guards. Long story short no School Marshall program/ Armed guards, as for why, I needed to talk to the School safety director " He is a real nice guy, he is a former LEO, from wait for it .........NYC. I told him that already answered the question. :banghead:
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Keller ISD & School safety

Post by jmra »

All of the schools in my district have off duty LEO armed in uniform. Can't understand why this is not mandatory for public schools.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

I've been in a one-way "discussion" with Superintendent Reid (and his predecessor) and Safety Director Kinley for some time. My latest note to them was sent yesterday. Don't feel like you're alone... You're not.

The HS's have safety officers (recently put back in the budget, IIRC) but K-8 are totally exposed, sans a locked door policy that is wholly inadequate.

If you feel motivated enough to organize a parents group, count me in.
Continued pressure (politely and professionally) can change minds, albeit slowly.
The more parents that speak up, the better.

Welcome to the neighborhood. :tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Cshuff21

Post by Cshuff21 »

count me in!
"Suns up...Guns Up" Texas Tech!

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Do teachers go through as in depth background checks as a CHL.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

jmra wrote:All of the schools in my district have off duty LEO armed in uniform. Can't understand why this is not mandatory for public schools.
Budget.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

cb1000rider wrote:
jmra wrote:All of the schools in my district have off duty LEO armed in uniform. Can't understand why this is not mandatory for public schools.
Budget.
I work for a Charter school which only receives 70% of the funding a traditional ISD receives. If we can find the money any school can.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

The_Busy_Mom

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

MeMelYup wrote:Do teachers go through as in depth background checks as a CHL.
Yes, and no. Several years back, teachers didn't have any background check other than TX. Some changes came about, and now teachers have a national background check completed.

I substitute teach in the Keller ISD. We lost the school resource officers a few years back when the state changed the way it funded public school. There were budget cuts across the board, and School Resource Officers went by the way. They are back in the high schools, but we could really use them at the middle schools (7th & 8th grades).

I find it interesting that a bunch of 30.06 signs popped up on the doors to the schools about 6-8 weeks ago. I'm not really sure what caused the postings, but I just laughed. The administration posted a sign that isn't enforceable (on 8.5x11 paper, so not 1" letters) on a building that is already prohibited by law, regardless of signs. The legal staff needs to educate themselves on just what the law is. As an employee, I just can't push that envelope. I already push the envelope by driving my truck and parking it on the elementary school campus where I teach the most.
Final Driver Side.jpg
:txflag: TBM

ETA: I don't know - maybe some crazy fool might think twice about coming into the school where my truck is parked. Things that make you go hhmmmmmmm.......
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Well - Driving that truck should sure make the carjackers pick someone else! :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

You folks in Keller have a school board election coming up. Choose carefully and you may be able to have some influence over what is going on. I suspect that if you quizzed the candidates bout these matters, you would get very different answers.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The_Busy_Mom wrote:I find it interesting that a bunch of 30.06 signs popped up on the doors to the schools about 6-8 weeks ago. I'm not really sure what caused the postings, but I just laughed. The administration posted a sign that isn't enforceable (on 8.5x11 paper, so not 1" letters) on a building that is already prohibited by law, regardless of signs.
I had an email exchange with the district and then the local police chief when they 30.06 posted the Natatorium about 2 years ago. I did not mention the non-compliant size of the sign, but I did point out that although the facility is "named" "KISD Natatorium" and managed by a KISD employee, county records clearly show the building is "OWNED" by the City of Keller and therefore cannot be posted. owner of record for the actual school campuses is the ISD, but the swim center owner is the City. There are plenty of swim center activities that have nothing at all to do with the ISD. In the end we agreed to disagree and the nonconforming signs remain.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

chasfm11 wrote:You folks in Keller have a school board election coming up. Choose carefully and you may be able to have some influence over what is going on. I suspect that if you quizzed the candidates bout these matters, you would get very different answers.
Goolsby is making some good noises running for place 4.
I have not heard anything from any of the place 5 candidates.

What do you know Chas?

ETA:

FYI.. http://www.kellerisd.net/community/comm ... il-21.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Keller ISD Council of PTAs will host a KISD Candidate Forum for those running in the upcoming School Board Election.

The public is invited to attend on Monday, April 21 at 6:30 p.m. in the Rock Gym, 350 Keller Parkway. The event will be moderated by the League of Women Voters.

Place 4 and Place 5 of the Keller ISD Board of Trustees are up for election on May 10.

Place 4 Candidates are Craig Allen, Ed Allen and Michael Goolsby. Place 5 Candidates are Shane Hardin, Jo Lynn Haussmann, Terry King and Jim Joros. For more information, see the Keller ISD Board Election page.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

MeMelYup wrote:Do teachers go through as in depth background checks as a CHL.
In the state of Texas, yes, and we go through it every year, though we only have to be fingerprinted once.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “Off-Topic”